Stupid taxes

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by scienceteach82, Mar 31, 2009.

1. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

Apparently I owe about 260.00 to the federal govt.....wtf?!

I don't understand why i owe so much!!! I haven't done state yet -sigh-

I can't afford this crap...especially with my job on the line :(

3. Cranmans

Cranmans Rookie

Mar 31, 2009

Thats sucks (maybe the federal govt. will pump some money over to you...and bail you out)...here in Texas we don't have state income tax.

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 31, 2009

Perhaps our 8k will make you feel better. And yes, we've had money pulled all year. A lot of money. We're currently on a spending freeze over here...

5. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Mar 31, 2009

Eeek Jem that's a lot of taxes to pay!

6. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Mar 31, 2009

Uh, yeah. We can't figure it out. We had a lot pulled out over the year, but apparently not enough. We did get a W-2 from a school I worked at for a month and a half into 2008, and they said they paid me 13k. I'm not sure any teacher ever has been paid 13k in a month and a half, and our bank double checked-we were not paid that much. So now we have to make a trip into town to deal with the most difficult HR department ever (they only answer the phone for 2 hours a week (?!?), hang up on me and told me their records burned up in a fire so they can't help me). I'm bringing DH so I have some man muscle behind me. Either they owe me a check (which would pay our taxes off), or we didn't make that much and maybe our taxes will be lower. Then we're off to pay someone to double check our math.

7. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Mar 31, 2009

Yikes! If it makes you feel any better, my husband and I are still paying on his 5k from last year :( His boss of 10 years (that he no longer works for) messed him up big time. He paid him a salary (like an employee) but made him file as a subcontractor so that he wouldn't have to pay an accountant or anything to do all the taxes and withholdings... MAJORLY ILLEGAL!!! So we called the IRS as soon as he (finally) quit.

8. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

Wow, sounds like a mess Jem. I'm sorry!!!
    I owed federal and state this year too. I was an idiot and didn't look at my pay stubbs when I got them and figured out that my afterschool job was not taking enough taxes out. Aparently, if you don't make a certain amount in a two week pay period, they don't have to take $ out. Needless to say I changed my W2 for this year so that it doesn't happen again!!!

9. goopp

goopp Devotee

Mar 31, 2009

Maybe you'll get money back from the state. I owe federal over $300, but I'm getting $800 back from the state...go figure!

10. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

Yuck, Jem :(

I'm going to my bf's tax lady to see what I can do

11. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

Heck I still 3k from last year
    I became disabled in April, I just filed and put off paying since I was trying to make ends meet
    In December I found out why (my retirement from the state was not taking out tax) so I really have now 2 years I have to make payments on.
    I have to talk to IRS about making a settlement and pay monthly.

12. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Mar 31, 2009

I just got back from filing my taxes. I paid someone $95 to tell me that I owed $566 in taxes (due by the last day in April). She told me that my school board didn't take enough taxes out of my paycheck:(.

13. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Mar 31, 2009

Paying in sucks!! I have my withholdings set at "married but at a single higher rate" and I have asked that an additional $50 be held out from every paycheck that I receive.

14. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Mar 31, 2009

I always try to have my taxes set so I pay very little or I get none back in a refund
    I put the amount that I would have got in a savings account where I get interest. I get to "use" my money all year.

A tax refund is foolish you are letting the government use YOUR money interest free!

if you put the same amount, in even a bank, you will have more money

if you put in just $100 a month in just a 3.5% savings account you will have $1219.47 simple interest at the end of the year that is almost $20 more than if you let the government use YOUR money interest free! if you can find a higher interest or if you can get compound interest you make more

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Apr 1, 2009

For the past 20 years we have had to pay both Federal and State. This year we both had extra taken out of our checks. So we will get a bit back. I really get upset when I hear low income families who are on food stamps get $8,000 back because of unearned tax credit.

16. elizak83

elizak83 Companion

Apr 1, 2009

I know someone who is getting back like 5,000...single...employed (he gets paid what I make..he works for bf) and is on food stamps??? ...but their lazy brother lives w/ them and refuses to work, so he gets to claim him. I think it's absolutely ridiculous! (I wasn't sure if it was possible, but my bf (who is doing his taxes) checked into it.)

17. DaleJr88AmpFan

DaleJr88AmpFan Cohort

Apr 1, 2009

I know some people think it is awful that we don't do something different. Right now, I know that I am letting the GOVT use my money interest-free. I actually am OK with that as I NEVER want to pay in... I know too many people who owe taxes each and every year. That would stress me out terribly-- I would feel guilty each & every time I would go out shopping and splurge on something!! Plus, I have never been a great "saver". The refund in February always comes at a great time when we are paying for our summer rental at the lake, recovering from Christmas shopping, paying off our homeowner's taxes or the like. Although a financial planner would try to change our approach, it really does work for us for now. Perhaps in a couple of years we'll change things...