Stupid question

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by pwhatley, Jun 27, 2010.

1. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 27, 2010

Okay, I know that this sounds stupid, but I just haven't been able to get my head around it. How exactly does a "read the room" or "write the room" center work? (Please, no sarcasm, lol)

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jun 28, 2010

I have these cute wands that have a different cut out shape at the end of each one. During that center the child chooses a wand and takes it around the room to read word walls, posters, morning messages, or anything else that looks interesting. For the writing part, they write the words from the word walls in a journal and then compose a paragraph or story. For my younger students I bought StarFall journals which have the clear space at the top of the page to draw a picture. My older students use spiral notebooks for their writing.

4. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 28, 2010

Have something for the kids to look for (beginning sounds, ending sounds, consonant clusters, spelling patterns, silent letters, etc.) and they go around the room with a pointer and look for that specific thing. They can write those words down and even underline, highlight or circle that specific part of the word.

5. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 28, 2010

cool, thanks y'all!

6. piney

piney Rookie

Jul 2, 2010

For write the room my students use a clipboard and they may copy poems, word wall words, classroom rules, student names, etc... One big rule is to use neat handwriting. I had a hard time getting them to stay on task at first because they are allowed to walk around the room while they work and some had tendencies to stop and visit. So I started a bb in the room with workstation work on it. If they did a neat job and got a lot accomplished they got to add their work to the board. That cut down on the chatting!

7. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jul 2, 2010

One year I had my kids wear kiddie sunglasses (without the lenses) while reading/writing the room. Just something extra to make it more special.

8. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Jul 22, 2010

This wasn't a bad question because I was so confused too!!!

9. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jul 22, 2010

My Kinders would put on funky sungalsses and use a variety of fun wands, pointers, even fly swatters to literally "read-the-room". It could be recognizing letters of the alphabet, 'reading' the pictures/symbols for the schedule of the day, book titles, etc etc ...... basically anything related to print that is around your room that the kids can "read" or even just make letter associations. I also had labels for many things around the room such as -- desk, sandbox, water table, big blocks, door, water fountain, window, etc. These they could 'read' quite easily.

The had a lot of fun showing their parents their new 'reading' skills with this activity too!