Stupid Parents

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ghost, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Ghost

Ghost Habitué

Aug 22, 2008

I've worked with a lot of parents but this set of "parents" are the dumbest and rudest I've ever had the displeasure of meeting. They aren't married. The grandmother adopted the child that her own adopted daughter is now raising. The child is diabetic...when she is low, Momzilla wants me to let her sleep. When she is high, Momzilla says to stop calling her that the dr. doesn't care if it's high. Every thing she says is counter to the hospital orders. Today, after Cousin It (the male) delivered the child to my room---her usual 11/2 late arrival--I checked her backpack for lunch box and there was only a pudding in the backpack and no notes. I had the clinic phone home and they were told that it was "too much work" to pack a lunch :eek: and to give her something "low carb", which doesn't exist in public schools as far as I can tell. Then she ranted and raved that she'd sent me an email at my HOME address....um, :confused: hello I'm at work...describing what she was to eat. When I did get home and checked the message said "thank you" and had an attachment that I couldn't open.

So anyone else have stupid parent stories?

3. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

Keep documenting everything. Has CPS followed up on your call regarding this child yet?

4. Lindsay.Lou

Lindsay.Lou Companion

Aug 22, 2008

ugh. that poor child.

:(

5. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

I have had diabetic students in the past. If your student is low, it is extremely dangerous if you let the child sleep. To protect the child and your job you need to quickly send the student to the nurse with a partner. We've had diabetics pass out in the hall from not feeling the signs of being low. I cannot stress this enough.

As far as being high, the parent is partially right. The doctors are (at least in my cases) less concerned if the child is high (depending on how high, levels vary). It is different for a child to be high than an adult... if it were an adult, it would be considered more dangerous. Still, if the child is feeling "high" or "low" your job is to send the student to the nurse. It is the nurse's job to call the doctor if needed. I have had students in the hospital for being too high, but generally being low was more of a concern.

This year will be tough for you, it is necessary for you to make your school nurse your best friend for the year. In the case of having diabetics, it is better to overreact to symptoms, than not at all. If the parents have a problem with that, then it's too bad. You need to put the child first and protect the teaching degree you worked so hard for. PM me if you ever have any questions on this, as I have been there and know what you are going through.

6. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008

agreed! Poor kid!

7. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 22, 2008

Parents like this don't deserve to be parents--- I find it so heartbreaking, especially when there are such loving couples out there who can't get pregnant or don't have enough money to adopt.

I would read up on diabetes and I would keep some snacks in your room (if there is a way) in case you need to give her something. Even a thing of orange juice could really help.

8. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 22, 2008

Not that stupid.

9. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Aug 22, 2008

This goes beyond stupidity. Like you noticed Trinda, this is neglect. Keep documenting and following up with CPS. Sounds like you're all that poor girl has.

10. janlee

janlee Devotee

Aug 22, 2008

My school nurse would have called CPS by now.

11. runnerss

runnerss Comrade

Aug 22, 2008

Forget what the parent says to not call when the blood sugar is high. The first time you don't call and something happens, I gurantee that this momzilla will raise heck. These type of parents are my worst fear. Honestly, when a kid is diabetic and they are not taking care of her, I would wonder if this is child abuse. If the parents don't take care of this then the child could lose her vision, have kidney problems, or even die. Keep constant documentation.

12. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 22, 2008

There's a difference between a little high and very high. The OP has two other threads worrying about this little girl. The sugar levels she's describing are FAR beyond the "little bit high" that a pediatric endo wouldn't be that concerned about. If "high" means 190 or so for a couple readings, then that's cause to note, but not cause to panic, but this girl was averaging in the low 200's and showed symptoms of low blood sugar when her actual sugar levels were normal. She was having readings, at least in the 300's, and if I recall correctly, at least one that broke 500. My ds's endo would admit him if he had even a single reading of that level.

There's no wondering. It's called medical neglect and is most definately child abuse. In extreme cases (and this one is heading in that direction), it could be cause for termination of parental rights.

Trinda...keep documenting. Let us know what CPS does. If they don't respond, call again. This little girl's life could depend on it.

13. NJArt

NJArt Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

call cps on these people immediately.

we have a pair of stupid parents in my school... I had the two older boys, both in the hs now... they were the "jocks", really into wresteling... I remember mom had STRICT CONTROL over their calorie intake. My big problem with them though is with the little sister, who will be going into 4th grade this year. Since 1st grade she has had hearing loss, which has gotten PROGRESSIVELY worse. by 2nd and 3rd grade she had the lisp that deaf people get... still the parents drag their feet and refuse to get her tested for a hearing aid. it's as if they don't want to admit that they have a child that is not PERFECT in every way. The nurse has been batteling them, and they have been making up excuses.

14. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

I was just curious, what grade is this little girl in? How long has she had diabetes? What did her last teacher do with the parent situation? And yes, document everything.

15. Go 4th

Go 4th Habitué

Aug 23, 2008

OMG!!!
    That is absolutely ridiculous! I'd be on the phone with CPS every hour on the hour.

16. mbttx

mbttx New Member

Aug 23, 2008

poor kids. but what we can do .

17. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Aug 23, 2008

Document, document, document; did I say document?

Have you talked with your principal?? I don't mean to scare you, but God forbid if something should happen to the girl; you might be held accountable since you are her teacher and "didn't do anything" like call CPS.

Am I wrong here? :mellow:

18. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2008

I had the big family cat fight in my room last year with my P and the CHILD in attendance. My P sat in because the parents do NOT get along and the mom requested a meeting with me and dad at the same time. The entire issue had to do with THEIR lack of communication and the inconsistancy with the child. The child was playing them both BIG time. So, we met one morning before school with both parents and the child sat in as well. It turned into a shouting match with some very innappropriate name calling.
    At least they did realize that I was not at fault (they were trying to blame me) and their child was lying about everything.

It is bad enough to have a fight, much less at school and even worse in front of the kid!

19. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2008

This is waiting to explode.
    Like others said, document, get the child to the nurse immediately, and don't stop calling.
    Your principal and social services should be in charge of contacting this parent as well.
    Contact your union rep as well.

Good Luck!

20. sophie1

sophie1 Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

What does the nurse say about all of this?

21. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

I've had interesting experiences with parents: flying high, insisting that the child (a 5 yr. old) go with him when he was admitted to rehab for drugs. A parent who hit her son, in the face, near the eye, with a belt buckle & then sent him to school the next day. She also did the "ghetto" look when she came in to meet with the social worker, cps & me. I'd only seen her dressed to the hilt previously.

But never, ever, medical neglect that could cause the death of the child.

Document, Document, Document!!! Call the parent every time, get the school nurse (if you have one) & the P involved.

22. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

Actually, it looks to me like you had a very successful meeting. Inappropriate name calling aside, if the kid in fact did learn that the jig was up and that is lies were no longer to be believed, then it was a fight that they should have had in front of the kid.

23. WannaTeach

WannaTeach Companion

Aug 24, 2008

High or low

This student needs someone in the school such as an aide in the classroom who has been trained in diabetic issues. The child's eating habits should be monitored and recorded in a notebook every time she/he eats. The children needs to be trained to recognize when her blood sugar is getting low. Someone may say she is too young. Is she in kindergarten? In this case, my response is NO SHE IS NOT! However, caring parents would teach the child how to recognize the signs or the feelings she is having. Then she will know to say my blood sugar is dropping and will know to get a healthy snack (that is brought to school) to get it back on track. Diabetes can be very dangerous.
    These parents are neglecting this child. Someone needs to be notified.
    I know this because we had a diabetic child in our kindergarten year before last. She was allowed to eat a little sugar on special occassions but an aide monitored her eating and recorded everything. There were two other teachers on staff who knew what to do. One of those teachers was diabetic. Teamwork in the school is needed for the many children who are entering school with situations that are unfamiliar. (We had children last year who had brittle bone syndrome, dwarfism... the list went on. Amazing. We all had to learn how to help each child.) To continue, the child carried a little pouch that housed her insulin that was intravenously carried through her tummy. She had a twin sister that was not diabetic but both girls knew what to expect and how to react. Both girls were great. I was nervous at first but after seeing that they accepted the diabetes as part of life I learned to relax and just kept watch. But, the diabetic student knew what to do. This family may have been the exception but I like to think not. Please find someone at your school that can help this child. Sleeping is a no no. You can also tell if she is having an insulin attack. She will be lethargic, her breath will have a funny sweet smell. You must get her some orange juice soon. But if you have no OJ or apple juice, a little sip of a soft drink is okay. Not a lot. Soft drinks have too much sugar. A snack of cheese peanut butter will help. Also, notice if the child is very thirsty. Well....please check with the school nurse for information if the parents are not willing to help. Find out as much about the disease as you can. Best of luck.

24. runsw/scissors

runsw/scissors Phenom

Aug 24, 2008

I had a diabetic student in the past. She kept a little self monitoring kit with her at all times. If she was low she ate a granola bar or drank some juice. If she was high she had to drink a bunch of water (like half a bottle or more) real fast. CPS really does need to hear about this situation. Get the school nurse involved. Document everything.

25. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Aug 24, 2008

:agreed:

The 1st word I taught my, then 3 yr. old, to "read" was peanuts. He knew if he saw that word, he couldn't have whatever was in the package. He's been allergic to peanuts since he was 10 mos. old. When he was 5, I taught him how to use the "yuckipen", better known as an epipen. (He couldn't say epipen, he's 12 now, it's still an yuckipen).

Kids need to be involved in their own medical care, with adult supervision. Whether it's allergies, asmtha or medical conditions they need to know enough to be able to ask for help when they need it!

26. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

I agree!!:up: I also have a son(14 yrs) with peanut and tree nut allergies. I have done the same with him. Both of my kids also have asthma, I have taught them it is their condition and I am here to help them learn to live with it.

27. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 24, 2008

My 6yo is allergic to ant bites and bee stings. He also christened the epipen the "yuckipen". We had to use it once when he was 4 and had to call 911 and he kept telling the paramedics that mommy used the yuckipen, but they couldn't figure out what that was. I had to explain it to them. Those same guys were at a party we had at my house a couple months ago(my neighbors are a cop/air rescue pilot couple and the party was for the pilot, but parties are always at my house since we have a pool), and they said the whole station now refers to epipens as "yuckipens" for the kids. They say it makes the kids laugh and not be so scared of what's happening.

28. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Aug 24, 2008

Oh, and regarding kids learning to live with medical issues. My 7yo is diabetic and the only thing I have to do is watch over his shoulder when he tests his sugar and measure out the insulin. He does the rest on his own.