"STUPID IN AMERICA"

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by chicagoturtle, Sep 1, 2006.

1. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Sep 4, 2006

WELL SAID!

2. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 4, 2006

We are also a nation that would rather put those funds towards jails than education.......

3. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 4, 2006

I totally agree with you. I really want to mail John Stossal a copy of this book I'm reading. You all should check it out at the library-- it kind of makes you angry when you compare our education level to those of other professions vs. the take home pay etc.....We were not allowed in school today but I still spent most of the weekend at Kinko's, Staples, Target, etc... getting stuff for school....

4. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Sep 4, 2006

You know what I think??? Oh...and this is going to make a HUGE percentage of you all very angry...I think we have made education about us...'Look at all I do' It needs to be about the kids. It is their education not ours. Through out these posts it has been...I have, I am...I will...I do...

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

Well when all the complaints are "Teachers this..." and "Teachers that..." what do you expect? And who looks bad when test grades are low? The teachers. They don't tell the public that the test grades have gone up for those students in the past year. They don't tell the public that 85% of students come into the classroom below beginning grade level. They also don't tell the public that those students have made incredible leaps throughout the year.

My main goals: To give each and every child that walks through my door a quality education. To give each and every child tools they need to succeed in school and in life. To let each and every child know, that no matter what they've done, I do care about them.

6. chicagoturtle

chicagoturtle Fanatic

Sep 4, 2006

Why do you think we do all that we do? If we didn't care about the kids than I don't think we'd spend our own money and time on DOING THINGS FOR THEM...

7. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Sep 4, 2006

We are made to feel that it ALL does come down to us! WE are responsible for test scores, WE are responsible for homework, WE are responsible for their behavior, and this year in NJ WE are responsible for their obesity and are to monitor their lunches, snacks, etc! What about the other 18 hours they do not spend with us? It is impossible to give every single child every single thing they need in this life without it being a cooperative effort among teacher, family and community, but when it comes to their education and ultimately test scores, WE are the bottom line who must accept criticisms such as this, with no other group willing to share the criticism/blame.

8. elem_teacher3

elem_teacher3 Companion

Sep 4, 2006

I never said we didn't care...I said we have made it about us...the teachers. You know what makes someone great in their area of expertise? Sacrifice...sacrifice that comes as a silent dedication. I think when we start 'yelling' we are giving ourselves excuses as to why our kids aren't where they need to be. Something is wrong in this country's education system...deperately wrong...we have weapons and drugs in school...we have guards posted outside...we have kids who can't read...we have kids who can't sit still and we either want to medicate them or put them on an IEP. We have unions screaming at the tops of their lungs that they need more benefits and money...come on. I don't buy it. We need an overhaul of the entire system, that is what we need

9. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

Can you tell us those points (for those of us who didn't get to see it)?

10. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 4, 2006

You know, I think teaching is the only profession where this is an issue. If someone talks about the medical profession, then they expect nurses and doctors to speak up. If someone talks about the law, then there are the judges and lawyers. Of course if things are said about education teachers are going to speak up. Who do you think the fingers are pointed at? I've said it before, and I'll say it a million times more, the media are at the base of a lot of the problems we face. Are there teachers who shouldn't be in the classroom? Of course. Are there schools that should be completely shut? Yes, absolutely. Are there problems in the basic set up of our education system? Undeniably yes. Is the media looking at these basic framework problems? Are they in the classrooms of the thousands of teachers who are completely devoted to what they do? No. They were the drama is.
    The difference between a doctor, lawyer, or teacher defending their profession is, however, a doctor, lawyer, plumber, baker, etc, is not expected to supplement a lacking budget on their own. So when I see teachers talking about the extra time and money they put in, I don't think they are tooting their own horn (I don't think anyone on here is) I think they are pointing out a flaw in the system. We, as a country, can't expect our educational system to get better unless we truly make it a priority. We need more funding, we need more supplies, and we need more respect. (And by we, I mean everyone involved in education, not just the teacher.)

11. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Sep 4, 2006

I would think there are a lot of privacy issues. Interviews with teachers would be fine, but not actual classroom happenings. I actually have a problem with teachers having pictures of children (involved in the activities) on their websites. I hope they got permission (if they did, it should be posted).

12. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Sep 4, 2006

Any pictures I post on my website are of students who I have recieved written permission from parents. I do not, however, put names with the pictures (even though I have permission to put 1st names only).

13. 2Teach_is_2Care

2Teach_is_2Care Rookie

Sep 5, 2006

It is about the: students, teachers, administrators, and parents. I feel as though some parents are not taking as much responsibility in their children's education as they need to. This is not saying all parents, but there are countless numbers of parents who don't do THEIR part. All of us have faced this in our classrooms. I also believe that the NCLB has made this about the teachers. How can you compare last years class to this years? Aren't we all supposed to be individuals??? Not every child learns the same way (hello I'm a sp. ed teacher so I know this!) so why should we expect 100% to pass the standardized tests? I hate to say it but it is not feasible or realistic. I am VERY passionate about being a teacher. I am usually one of the first teachers at school and one of the last ones to leave. I spend countless hours researching and designing lessons to meet the interests and needs of my students. No one can tell me that I don't care, that I don't do my job. I work harder than many of my coworkers, and I'm not trying to put them down. I'm just stating facts. I have NOT made this about ME. I make teaching about my students. People believe what they want, but I know what I do in the classroom. My focus: my students.

Christy F- you made some Great points above, Thank you.