Stupid first-year-teacher question...

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Croissant, Aug 5, 2011.

1. Croissant

Croissant Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

Here's one of those questions I'm embarassed to ask at schol: What do you wear to inservice? Are we expected to dress professionally because we're officially going back to work, or can we do jeans because it's officially still summer? I realize this is probably a district thing, but I'm just curious what's most common. :huh:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2011

At our school I usually dress for inservices as though they are spirit days: jeans and a school hoodie, t-shirt, or polo. When in doubt, go for khaki pants and a knit top.

4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2011

I would go the first day dressed like Caesar said, and then dress as you see other teachers doing for the next inservice days.

5. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 5, 2011

We are not allowed to wear jeans. Ever. So maybe do capris that aren't denim instead.

6. PinkCupcake

PinkCupcake Cohort

Aug 5, 2011

At my school it's ok to wear jeans and capri's for inservice. Sandals are acceptable as long as they don't have a cheap rubber sole like the Old Navy ones.
    I agree with the previous posters. Khaki's would work for the first day and follow suit the days after.

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Aug 5, 2011

Dress a little nicer the first year than you might otherwise.

When your working in your room before you officially report, you can wear jeans and shorts but wear nicer ones. You never know who might stop by your room.

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Aug 5, 2011

Unless you're told otherwise, go with casual trousers and a blouse. We usually get word from our Supt about his attire expectations in our 'welcome back' letter.

9. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Aug 5, 2011

Our meetings are usually business casual unless otherwise indicated (i.e. jeans with a donation to the Prom Fund).

10. jenglish97

jenglish97 Devotee

Aug 5, 2011

As a first year teacher, I would not wear jeans. I have been teaching for 12 years and have never worn jeans at the 1st two days of inservice. I go with a pair of capris and a nice top. Wear something nice but casual.

11. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Aug 5, 2011

We have Convocation on the first day and that is pretty fancy (even more than a regular teaching day), the rest of in service is jeans or even shorts because they are work days. I agree with wearing khakis and a nice shirt that isn't too casual or too professional and then ask your team or principal.

12. HWilson

HWilson Comrade

Aug 5, 2011

It's not a stupid question, I remember wondering the same thing. Go for something that is comfy but doesn't look unprofessional. Khakis and a blouse would be best. I personally would avoid jeans until you check out what everyone else is wearing.

13. Ron6103

Ron6103 Habitué

Aug 5, 2011

I don't dress as formally as when students are there, but still no jeans. That said, the older teachers all DO wear jeans or shorts. They occasionally make fun of me for looking "too nice all the time". But meh, I ignore it. Looking more professional makes me FEEL more professional.

14. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 5, 2011

What about a sundress with a short sleeve cardigan? Then ask other teachers what they are wearing the remaining days. In my area, people tend to be dressier the first day, then super casual the other days.

15. joe22k

joe22k Rookie

Aug 5, 2011

I just want to say I dont think this is a stupid question. I am going into my fourth year and each year I have to think about what I am going to wear at beginning of year inservice days.

16. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Aug 6, 2011

I don't think it's a stupid question at all! I'm waiting to hear more details about our new teacher orientation and then the staff retreat and once I do I'm definitely asking what to wear!

17. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 6, 2011

You cannot go wrong with a cute top and capris. It is still cool and still professional casual.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 6, 2011

All of our inservice/training is at our school, so it's pretty casual. If teachers know they will be working in their rooms that day as well, shorts and t-shirts are the norm. However, as a new teacher, I wouldn't dress like that my first day. As others have said, capris and a nice top (throw in a light jacket or cardigan if your school has a.c.) will be appropriate.

19. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Aug 6, 2011

We're expected to dress for in-services as we would for a regular teaching day. Last year on the first day which is a district wide opening thing, one person wore a tennis suit and she totally stuck out, and not in a good way.

I agree with the suggestion of khakis and a nice top and then see what everyone else wears and follow their lead.

20. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 6, 2011

We only have one day... it starts off with a "Welcome back" breakfast at the jr. high and the usual announcement-type stuff (principals introduce the new staff, etc). Last year, hey decvided to do the blood-born pathogens training right there so we didn't have to waste time at our building inservices doing it (we have 2 nurses between the 4 schools, so it can be tricky to schedule). Most people wear capri's.

21. porque_pig

porque_pig Comrade

Aug 6, 2011

Jeans are not allowed at my school for in-services. I agree with everyone else: err on the slightly overdressed side! I think khakis and a cute top are a good first day choice.

22. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Aug 6, 2011

We are definitely a "dress down" school for in-school inservice days. You are expected to dress up more for inservices that take you out of your building. Teachers show up in jeans, sweats, whatever for those first days of school because cleaning, organizing and arranging your room can be sweaty work.

However, if I were you, I'd err on the side of dressiness, at least until you know the climate of the school. I'd wear khaki capris with a polo shirt with flats, if it was me, and I'd also pack a bag with more casual "work-clothes," for when you get to the sweaty, dirty part of in-classroom work.

23. smeraldo

smeraldo Rookie

Aug 7, 2011

Dang! Some of you have strict dress codes. I would go with Caesar's advice. Anything flies at my school as long as it's not destroyed denim. It's wonderful but if and when I leave this place I'll need a new more professional wardrobe.

24. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Aug 7, 2011

:agreed:

25. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 8, 2011

We dress professionally.

This is your chance to make a first impression on a lot of people. Make it that of a professional. You can always dress down in the future once you know the culture of the school. But it's a whole lot harder to undo a poor first impression.

In your place, I would go with a long skirt, colored T, and sandals. You can always throw a pair of shorts and some flip flops into the car in case you want to change for some decorating or whatever.

But make that first impression a good one.

26. myloveasdeep

myloveasdeep Rookie

Aug 8, 2011

My first day of inservice is today, and we will be doing two things: moving furniture to new classrooms and interviewing for a new English teacher. I am thinking I will just have to bring two sets of clothing. I don't want my first impression to this new colleague to be that I smell like a lumberjack.

27. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Aug 8, 2011

This will be my first pupil-free day, too. (I came in last year on the first day of instruction.) I'm guessing we'll be lugging supplies and textbooks. I'll wear my usual layers in case the a/c is too high or non-existent.