Stumped

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by TinyTeacher, Oct 2, 2013.

1. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Oct 2, 2013

I have an interview tomorrow and I never know how to answer the question "How would you handle a difficult student?" or "How would you deal with a student who did not want to do their work?". I have never been good at answering this question so any advice would be much appreciated! Thanks! The interview is for a second grade position.

3. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

Are you not able to answer it because you don't know what to do? If you do know what to do, tell us what that is... We might be able to help you fine tune your description. If you don't know what to do, what will you do if you get the job. Kids can be notoriously difficult, especially the little ones.

4. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Oct 2, 2013

Well I think how I would handle it would depend on the particular situation. With my preschoolers I have a couple that don't listen and I handle them differently because they respond differently to different approaches. It's not a one size fits all kind of thing.

5. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 2, 2013

There's your answer...it's about findiing the cause of the misbehavior and knowing how to manage that root cause.

6. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

Good start. Do you have some concrete examples that show distinct ways of managing the behaviors based on the root cause or suspected root cause? What would you look for to determine the root cause?

7. TinyTeacher

TinyTeacher Rookie

Oct 2, 2013

Haha, yeah as I was typing that I thought, "maybe thats what I should say instead of trying to come up with something specific". :)

8. a2z

a2z Virtuoso

Oct 2, 2013

I would be prepared to show the difference in circumstances because how you deal with issues is important to those hiring you. I do suggest you pick 2 or 3 situations and think through the process of handling it. It show that in addition to recognizing that each situation can stem from different causes, you do have some tools in your toolbox more than a general statement indicating it depends.

9. Cme10

Cme10 Rookie

Oct 2, 2013

I get this question all the time. This is my answer:

Knowing that all grades and students are different this is a problem that is best solved on an individual basis. The important thing to remember about classroom management is that I am not going to allow misbehavior to detract from my lesson. I would redirect attention away from the student misbehaving and continue the lesson. At a later point I would sit down with the student one on one and find the origin of the problem. It could be something as simple as the student stayed up too late and was merely cranky to something more serious like a miscommunication between yourself and the student. Either way once the cause is identified you can then work with the student to modify the behavior appropriately.

Hope this helps!

10. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 2, 2013

I always use to answer that question by clarifying that there was no such thing as a "one size fits all" solution, but then explain things that I might try with a particular student (or things I have done with particular students)