stumped on a student

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by stampin'teacher, Sep 19, 2014.

1. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 19, 2014

I have a student who is exhibiting the following behaviors and my co-teacher and I are stumped on how to meet his needs:

-developmental delay
    -poor coordination/fine motor skills
    -poor socialization skills, such as difficulty building and maintaining friendships and relating to groups
    -no spacial awareness
    -often displays no affect
    -stubbornness
    -impulsiveness
    -tendency to lie

He is adopted so we don't know much about his birth parents. His adopted parents don't want to medicate or get him tested to obtain a diagnosis. We struggle with him getting into disagreements with other students & not wanting to problem solve (no affect, lying during this time) and he often will blurt out negative comments to his classmates.

Has anyone ever had a child like this? Any tips on meeting his needs would be greatly appreciated!

3. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 19, 2014

I sure hope you haven't mentioned medication to his parents.

Depending on when he was adopted, it could be a variety of things, including:
    Reactive Attachment Disorder
    FASD
    NVLD/Dyspraxia/Dysgraphia + ADHD

There could also be a million other things.

Get the school to send paperwork to the house requesting that they be given permission to perform an evaluation in all areas of suspected disability (which for this student would include the basics, plus an OT/PT eval).

4. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 19, 2014

No, medication was never & has never been brought up, I just know from what they have shared. We are a private school, not a public, so our school can't force them or really ask to have their child evaluated. We're left with saying phrases like "there are many questions we still have" or "we don't quite have enough information to fill in our understanding of him in X areas".

5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Sep 19, 2014

If it is a private school then, at some point, couldn't the school tell the parents they are not able to meet his needs? Especially if they are not being helpful with getting him tested. It seems like he needs more help than a regular 4th grade class can give him with or without medication or a diagnosis.

6. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Sep 19, 2014

This is a problem, a school should be able to suggest testing in order to pin point the issue.

7. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Sep 19, 2014

Poor kid. Can your guidance counselor help? I have had difficult students and the GC was a great resource. In addition to assisting with testing, placement, classroom strategies and counseling, the GC was able to share their observations when we met with the parents which gave more weight to my concerns.

Edit: i realize maybe you are posting for help because you do not have a GC. What about your P or VP? It sounds like you and your partner have done your best and may benefit from some outside intervention. Ps and VPs are all experienced teachers so maybe they can offer support,

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Sep 19, 2014

Yeah. Even though you are a private school, you can get the local public school to perform SPE testing on him. Or you SHOULD be able to do that.

9. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Sep 20, 2014

At first this wasn't too alarming to me, then I realized you teach fourth grade. For all of this to be going on and nothing to have been done up until now is pretty alarming. Is he knew to your school? Is there any type of documentation you can look at from his previous teachers or school? I would definitely start taking notes on his behaviors and keeping all of his classwork. It's a little early to start too much with the parents, but if he stands out that much from the other kids and his work is so far behind, you will eventually gather enough information to really show the parents this and maybe they will change their tune.

10. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 21, 2014

He is not new to the school-been around since Kinder. We do not have a GC to help with anything. To be honest, I don't believe that the heads of our school have pushed back as much as they could & should have.

I realize each child is their own case, but has anyone had a similar behaving child that HAS been diagnosed? Or have you found anything that helps him/her?

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 21, 2014

Do you ave a child study team with whom you can share family history and observations you already have gathered?

12. LouiseB

LouiseB Cohort

Sep 21, 2014

What have teachers from previous grades done with this student? They also may have some data to compare with what you and your co-teacher have gathered. Have you contacted the public school that your school is in? I teach sped at a public school and we are required to at least consult with the private school about a child on an IEP. Usually if it really is an issue, the student will come to the public school. I have several on my case load who were at the private school, then were struggling and then came for sped at the public school.

13. stampin'teacher

stampin'teacher Cohort

Sep 21, 2014

That's the problem, he doesn't have an IEP and the parents don't want to get him tested to get one. He's seeing someone to help him with his executive functioning but to be honest, I really don't know what they're doing or how it's helping him. Last year's teachers are gone and didn't really do much to help him. They were both really overwhelmed and couldn't handle our school environment. I'm going to talk to 1st & 2nd tomorrow but he's so much older I'm not sure if the same skills will apply-assuming they had something that helped him.

One thing I should say is my school is different than many private schools. It's been around for 30 years and there are many times where it feels like I'm teaching at a start up school. No real guidelines or clear instructions....

14. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 22, 2014

Ask the parents if they can put you in touch with the individual working on the student's executive functioning issues? Perhaps talking to whomever that might be (I assume an OT or a mental health professional?) might shed some light on accommodations you can provide in the classroom.