Stuffed Animal Activities

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by MissScrimmage, Jul 25, 2008.

1. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 25, 2008

I am having a "Bring your favourite stuffed animal day" as part of a 'spirit week' and I was wondering if anyone had any fun activities that I could incorporate the stuffed animals into. I definitely want to have a picnic with them, and maybe some sorting/graphing. Any other ideas??

3. Sheila

Sheila Comrade

Jul 25, 2008

Maybe you can have the parents write a short description or story about how the child aquired the stuffed animal and you can read it?

Make sure to read Knuffle Bunny and Knuffle Bunny 2 by Mo Willems.

You can do a hokey pokey with the animals and have the children put the animals limbs in.

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 26, 2008

Hide and seek

Musical chairs

Love that hokey pokey idea!

5. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 26, 2008

Knuffle Bunny is GREAT! The kids would love it. Maybe you could have them create their own pictures/stories about their stuffed animals. You could also (With the consent of the owner) do a sensory game. The student could hide his stuffed animal in the room, one child waits in the hall and comes back in. You can play a version of hot and cold with rice shakers. They have to shake the rice gently/softly if he's cold and get louder/faster when he's getting hotter. You could also do that with clapping or beeping noises. That's about all I got right now!

6. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 26, 2008

What about building them houses-- you can talk about how people live in different types of houses and so do animals and if you collect boxes and different things before hand they could make their "pet" a house

7. Dzenna

Dzenna Groupie

Jul 26, 2008

For math activites you can
    1. Classify them according to animal type
    2. Sort them assorting to size
    3. Measure them with a yard stick, blocks, inch worms, etc.
    4. Sort them according to the habitat they live in

For language arts you can
    1. Have them put the animal in a box and help them to describe it
    to the group as a guessing game.
    2. Write/illustrate a book about the animals

For science you can
    1. Have books available about different animal species
    2. Discuss habitats, names of babies, etc.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 26, 2008

Thanks for the wonderful ideas! I love the hokey pokey idea!! Also, to build the animals houses - that should keep the kids engaged for a while. I will have to check out those books at the library, I have never heard of them. I am also going to read "The Wonderful Pigs of Jillian Jiggs".

9. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

I've never heard of these books, so I quickly typed in AMAZON.com and found it! Sounds like great books!

ok; here's my question...just how do you pronounce "Knuffle"???
    One book reviewer made it a point to say that the word "knuffle" is a dutch term for something cute & cuddly. And it is pronounced "K-nuffle" NOT "Nuffle"
    Of course, I would have said, "Nuffle" hehe

10. MissErin

MissErin Comrade

Jul 27, 2008

It's funny because the 2 characters in the book argue about how you say it. One says it Nuffle and one says K-nuffle. I always said Nuffle, but I think that K-nuffle does have a certain cuteness to it! The book is really cute!

11. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2008

Had a teacher with the name Knudsen in High School and we had to say it with the K pronounced. Is that the case with the Knudsen products in the grocery stores?
    R1

12. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 27, 2008

Disaster Plan

Do any of you have disaster plans at your centers? After 9/11 our center did stock pile some non-perishables and made it mandatory that parents provide an extra week's supply of diapers and formula for the infants. Since then we have had some things happen in our area that make me think we need to reexamine oru disaster plan---we had a lockdown a few m onths agodue to a pesedetial candidates' office being taken hostage, we've had severe floods a couple of times and last week we had tornado warnings and tornados did actually touch down two towns over---I am seriously considering signing up for our local CERT program so I cn be more effective at work, but am curious as to what other centers have in place if anything

13. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Jul 27, 2008

I you are in Pre-School, Napping with their Stuffed Animal is a GREAT hit. They would love this activity for the whole week if that is okay with you. Remember to remind them that it's for only one week and they need to take their animals home after the week is over. Of course you'll have some that wouldn't want it to end but just prepare them for the length of the week. Do the count down of how many more days they can have their animals at school AND last but not the least have them name their animals. Reinforce naming them with the same letter name as the kind of animal it is. Andy the Alligator, Bubba the Bear, Calysta the Cat, etc.:up:
    Enjoy and key us about the how it went,
    R1

14. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 27, 2008

This sounds like it should be the title of a new thread, right? :)

15. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

It was supposed to be anew thread-- dont' knwo quite what happened there--sorry!

16. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jul 28, 2008

That's ok! :hugs:

I just wanted to make sure your thread got responses, because it's a great question.

Do you know how to "cut & paste"?? You can do that and start it as a new thread. :love:

17. sarzacsmom

sarzacsmom Groupie

Jul 28, 2008

Actually cut and paste is exactly what I did!

18. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 28, 2008

The first full week of school I do a bear theme. My students bring their bears to stay at school that week. (They like sleeping with them at nap and sitting with them the first week. Kind of a security blanket...) One morning when the kids come in, the bears were playing with all the "toys" the night before and left a MESS. We have to clean up after them and we talk about how they should have cleaned up their own messes. I try to tie it into our cleanup rules. It's really cute when you see the kids talking to their bears about it.:rolleyes:

We also sort the bears (It depends on what they bring... usually color, size, clothes, no clothes, buttons, bows, etc.) We have a picnic when we get back from the "Bear Hunt" to learn where the essential places are located.(Teddy Grahams)

19. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jul 30, 2008

Fantastic Day!

Well, I just got home and I thought I would update you all on what a success stuffed animal day was!! Thanks for all of your ideas!

The kids were SO excited to show off their animals. We had a bear help us with calendar and we sang head and shoulders with our animals. We also talked about the colours of all of the animals and dismissed the children for lunch according to the colour. We took the animals outside for a picnic at lunch time. Then, while the children were sleeping, we took all of the animals and set them up outside so it looked like the animals were having a party. We put play food and dishes out and party hats on some of the animals. Then when the children woke up and noticed their animals were missing, we went on a bear hunt. They were SO excited to find their animals outside. The theories they came up with for how the animals got outside were hilarious. Then we did the hokey pokey and enjoyed playing with the animals for the rest of the day.

I was a little skeptical about how much "fun" this day would be, and I think it turned out to be my favourite spirit day. Thanks for all of the ideas!

20. tgi1515

tgi1515 Comrade

Jul 30, 2008

Yea! I love it when new ideas turn out great!! Congratulations!! :party: