Stuff you bought...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by SwOcean Gal, Oct 21, 2010.

1. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 21, 2010

I have loaded my classroom up with all sorts of stuff that I have bought and have not been paid for- so these things are mine- I bought them, never sought to be paid for them because if I leave I want to take them with me and have them wherever I go. So what do I need to do to cover myself and make sure at the end of the year or whenever I can take it back with me without any potential problems. How do you deal with this and have you ever had a problem. These are things I have bought over the years or used or whatever, so I do not have proof of purchase. I have started to write my name in my classroom library collection that I brought into the school, but whatever the other stuff- how do I prove it is mine.

3. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 21, 2010

Well, at my school if THEY paid for it they would have the purchase order for it(there is someone who keeps record of them for future reference). If they can't produce a copy of the order then they have no proof it's theirs. I have bought tons of stuff from the teacher store and I have written my name on everything. I know they are mine and they would have a big problem if they tried to dispute it.

4. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 21, 2010

In my school anything that was purchased by the school are marked with a stamp stating they are the property of the school. I have everything marked with my name, but like you I didn't keep receipts to prove they are my materials. Though, I have never heard of any teacher who has left my building being questioned about materials. I am interested in hearing how others deal with this issue in their schools.

5. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 21, 2010

My school only provides us with shelves and math curriculum teacher guides. They have purchase orders of the school supplies that they bought for my classroom. They did buy me an easel and a microwave and provided a couple of desktops for my students. All of the other teacher material, storage items and a couch is mine.

6. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 21, 2010

On all of the resources I purchase, I write, Ms. KLSSwimmer - PERSONAL. This is sufficient for my school.

7. KLSSwimmer

KLSSwimmer Habitué

Oct 21, 2010

I guess that I should also say that I mark everything that the school pays for with my classroom room number.

8. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 21, 2010

TeacherNy- that is a good point, but some of the stuff in my room is pretty old or just plain junky so I doubt they would still have records of it, plus I was told about a lot of stuff that would be in the room, that simply wasn't or at least has not shown up yet. It is not in my room because I have touched and gone through everything in there anyhow to make room for my stuff and get organized. There is a dollar tree near my school and that is a problem because then it is so easy to drop in and grab something and just bring it into school because it is right there and then I do not get a chance to write my name on it.
    I do not think I will have a problem, but someone said something about it to me the other day and it got me thinking. But now there is just soooo much stuff I do not even know how I would go about recording it all or labeling it.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 21, 2010

What was said to you?

When I started working at my current school, two years ago, I inherited a room full of stuff. I had no way of knowing what was the school's and what was leftover from the previous teacher. My next-door neighbor at school told me that anything in the room was mine. The previous teacher had no desire to teach again and she had been given plenty of opportunity to clean out her stuff. The other teachers had already taken what they wanted. Other than the student chairs, tables, overhead and LCD projectors, it was all mine. So I guess the schools really don't care. No one is going to use the stuff for their personal gain anyhow - it is all for the students.

I transfered to a different school and had to furnish the classroom on my own. The only thing my high school furnished was the US flag. I bought my own clocks, my own trash cans, my own paper towels, staplers, paper for printer/copier, you name it. So you better believe that stuff was going with me when I left!

10. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 21, 2010

Just that I should keep track of what I bring in and know what is mine. It was my mentor said that- so that sent up a red flag to me although I seriously cannot see it being a problem, but I was still interested in seeing/hearing what others do and if anyone has ever had a problem. My P knows what I have brought in and done with my room- she watched the transformation and even helped carry the stuff down- she even gave me permission to drive around the back of the school to get my vehicle closer so I would not have to lug it so far. She saw the three truck loads of stuff and the army of people I had helping me. She even helped, so she knows.

11. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Oct 21, 2010

I think you are smart to mark them and maybe make a list of big ticket items. I have known teachers who were watched while they packed to make sure they weren't taking school stuff, and they looked back on lab fee receipts to try to track what was whose. Most of the time, it is okay but if there are hard feelings it is good to protect yourself.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 21, 2010

The only vista print deal that I used was one to make Property of NCScienceTeach stickers (address labels). When I find them again ;) I will place them on the items in my room. Even the plastic tub that holds some of my junk!

But, if there is ever any doubt then the school gets to keep it. I do not want to have hard feelings over a stapler, ya know? If everything goes as planned, however, I won't be leaving this school until I'm too old to remember what I bought and/or I'm retired and I don't have a need for anything anyhow!

13. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 22, 2010

We turn in a school and personal inventory each year. We are expected to have everything listed. Plus that is all that insurance covers.

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Oct 22, 2010

I have been teaching in my classroom for 17 years. I honestly have no idea what's the school's and what's mine anymore, except for my classroom library. I plan on being at this school until I retire (not an unlikely situation, as this is a school where people stay their entire careers), and I'm not sure I'm going to want to take 1,000 YA novels home with me.

If I was a younger teacher that thought she might change schools, I would definitely be better about labeling personal v. district items. In my building, no one has ever checked, as far as I know, though.

15. Rox

Rox Cohort

Oct 22, 2010

My district has a form that has to be filled out for everything that we bring into the classroom. However, I don't think that most teachers even bother filling them out. We just label our stuff and take it with us if we need to.

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 22, 2010

I have bought most of my theme materials... I keep them in theme boxes in my closet at school. This year, I decided to make a list of the thigns that are in there... mostly becuase it's easier ot look at the list when donig planning than fishing through the boxes. It is also helpful, though, to know what I already have, and what's mine.

We have a lot of shared manipulatives (I organized and inventoried the closet earlier in the year)... but we're spred out between 3 schools, which makes it challenging.

Almost all of my stuff is labelled with either my name or initials. If it's not labelled, I don't consider it mine. I ran into this problem when leaving one school... it was a rough situation, and the co-teacher they brought in for me midway through the year (I just asked for a 1:1 TA for a child) was going to be staying in the romo the following year. She was NOT happy that the puzzles, bins, baskets, folder games, etc. were all mine... I never sought reimbursement for any of them, the folder games were made on my own time over the summer, etc. I hadn't written my name on stuff, but knew what I'd bought and what I'd inherited.

That summer, I made sure my name was on everything.

17. Lionteacher

Lionteacher Companion

Oct 24, 2010

I keep a list of all my personal stuff mainly because I have insurance on my personal stuff since the school's insurance does not cover the teacher's personal items. A school in my old diocese burned down all the teacher lost all their personal items and the school only covered their items (desks, chairs, computers, textbooks, etc). What I have invested in books, bulletin boards, manipulatives, additional resources, etc. is more then I could easily replace. (I recently realized I have over $2,500 in books for my classroom library).

18. SwOcean Gal

SwOcean Gal Devotee

Oct 24, 2010

Insurance covers stuff like your classroom library and other school related stuff without receipts and proof of purchase- (most of my stuff is used with limited exceptions)? I never thought of that. I should look into that.

How long did it take you to label or initial all your personal stuff and inventory it (did you just do it on excel)? Did you do it over the summer or in school? Currently, almost all of my stuff is at school- well only 1/3 or 1/2 of my classroom library is at school, but everything else is roughly there. Most all of my books in school are stamped with my name, but almost none of my "things" are, like puzzles, resources, manipulatives, boxes, posters, center supplies, etc. I have a rug there and furniture in addition to all the other stuff. Should I just start plugging stuff into excel now or what?

19. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 24, 2010

The fact that your mentor who has been there previously to you has raised the issue would make me take a label maker and stamp and start one item at a time. As I labeled each item, I would make a list.
    At my school, it is a little different, so I don't need to do that.

20. ChemTeachBHS

ChemTeachBHS Comrade

Oct 24, 2010

I just write my name on everything I buy. Everything the school buys is marked with the department and classroom number. For example my step stool says Science Department - Room 5-340.