Studying for Physics AND Chemistry Praxis!!!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Dec 19, 2016.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Groupie

Dec 19, 2016

This is probably the craziest thing I've ever written..... I just ordered study guides for Praxis II Physics (5265) and Praxis II Chemistry (5465). According to the state requirements, if and when I pass both, I will be qualified to teach physics, chemistry, and physical science. Holy cow. 7 years ago, when I first started my "becoming a teacher" journey, I initially wanted to teach science and was told I could get endorsements in math after 3 years of being a teacher. Instead, I changed to math. Now, I've taught math for 3 years and could become endorsed in some sciences before the end of the school year!!!!

Is anyone credentialized in more than one core subject area? Does it sound crazy being endorsed for math AND the mathematical sciences?

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 19, 2016

We had a member once who was credentialed in math, biology, chemistry, earth science, physics, industrial and technology education and, I think, business education. His goal was to teach students who weren't buying into their other coursework; the idea was that the apparent "shop" class would in fact incorporate all that other content in real-world applications.

Math gets combined with sciences fairly frequently.

Peregrin5 likes this.
  4. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Dec 19, 2016

I have a credential in biology and general science. Not two core subjects. I was told to get a credential in math too so make it easier for me to find jobs, but I've never had any problem with getting jobs, and I've met too many teachers who took that advice and are now bemoaning having to teach math, which is a subject they don't particularly enjoy teaching, especially since the school can hire you for science to begin with, but if you have the credential, they can assign you to the subject if they want to. If I don't have a math credential, they can't assign me to teach math. I was looking into getting a chemistry and physics credential too, but I think this is going to be my last foray into high school teaching this year, so there's no real point.

5. mathteachertobe

mathteachertobe Cohort

Dec 19, 2016

I'm a California career changer who majored in Biology way back when. I wanted to be a math teacher. While I had taken a lot of math courses I had some gaps in CA requirements, so I took the first two Math CSETs, and started out with a Foundational (K-9) Math credential. I then took the third Math CSET, and my credential was upgraded to all math. Then I had trouble finding a job, so I added Biology, from my undergraduate work. I got a high school job teaching Biology, one year only. That school thought they might have a Physics opening, so I took the Foundational Science CSETs and the Physics CSET. Then that school's openings were actually in Chemistry, but I knew I didn't want to teach that, so I stopped adding endorsements. I can teach any K-9 science class, any K-12 math class and high school Physics and Biology. I completed an MA in Math Education a year and a half ago, mostly for the pay bump. I have been teaching middle school math for about five years.

6. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 19, 2016

I have a CA English credential but I'm also credentialed to teach Science (any) in any alternative ed. setting in California. The add-on science was easy, I took 2 online classes, 6 weeks each. My district paid for it, and I had to sign a paper stating that I wouldn't leave for 2 years or 3, I'm not planning on leaving anyways, but if I ever left, I know I'd only want to be teaching alt. ed, so this adds to marketability and current job safety.

7. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Dec 19, 2016

I'm certified in all 4 sciences. My best advice for both tests is to be sure you know all the formulas really well. The depth of material covered is not really a problem--nothing is really beyond basic high school level. I found the MCAT physics study guides to be the most helpful.

I don't want to get stuck teaching math more than I currently do (I also teach math since I'm alternative ed), so I've not sought out that certification even though I have the college credits. I've seen teachers get pushed into teaching classes they didn't really want because they had the cert--for example a Chem teacher having to pick up a section of Biology.

Good luck!