Study Skills Workshop

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by sharon122, Aug 17, 2007.

1. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Aug 17, 2007

I am trying to set up a study skills workshop. I am going to try for once a week, possibly on Fridays. I am going to incorporate ideas for organizing, note taking, test study skills, non fiction text reading and more. I am wondering if anyone has already set this up. (Why reinvent the wheel?)
    Thanks!

3. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Aug 17, 2007

Wow, third graders seem a little young for note-taking and study skills to me. Have you worked with them on this before?

4. sharon122

sharon122 Rookie

Aug 18, 2007

Absolutely! It is a basic foundation. For example - I introduce a "guided outline" for non fiction reading. It is similar to a cloze activity and teaches the children how to and where to look for information. In the beginning I use a transparency and we do it together and soon they are doing it in triads, partners and independently. I also use store bought "talk back take notes" sticky notes. We do testing in our school and I use a "road map" a la Harry Wong to review the concepts and use as a study guide. The test is taken from that road map so the kids know there wll be "no surprises" on the test. I guess private school mandates ( or lack there of) are different from public schools!
    Any way - it is a simple intro which the 4th grade teachers have actually thanked me for!