Study skills curriculum/program?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Bored of Ed, May 5, 2013.

1. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 5, 2013

Anyone know of one? A good one? I'm looking for something all-encompassing. I've seen books on note taking, time management, test prep, etc. individually but wondering if anyone has yet composed an all-around program to build good study skills at various levels. I think that study skills are very much interrelated with general thinking skills, but there are certain practices that many students need to be taught explicitly, either individually or in class because even the naturals wouldn't be hurt by it.

I have been pondering working to professionally develop something like this myself but if it's already been done it would certainly be easier to just buy a book or something :blush: I have some ideas but I always feel hesitant to take on a big project like that because it seems like by the time I get anywhere some bigger company with a big staff and better PR has already nailed it. But let's not get into my psychological self-limitations here, what I really want to know is if this wheel has been invented yet in any useful form.
    :thanks:

3. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 5, 2013

4. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

May 5, 2013

I would love something like this for 2nd grade! Our students have to take the MAP test, and many 2nd-grade teachers feel that it isn't a good way to measure a child's skills, because they don't even know how to take a test yet!

5. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 5, 2013

Thanks for the link, PWhatley. I also found a few things just by browsing, and have quite a long wish list, but I'd love to have personal recommendations because I don't have time to read and try everything. Unfortunately, because oh, how I'd love to!

6. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 5, 2013

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

May 6, 2013

Bored, I have yet to see an all encompassing program for study skills. I've always piece mailed mine together based on other sources to find what works for my students.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

May 6, 2013

Those look good for middle & high school kids. I'm searching for something that would work for upper elementary. I already use some foldables with my first graders, and the older kids love them, but that isn't teaching them to (1) take notes, (2) manage their time, or (3) relax and do well on tests.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

May 6, 2013

Have you looked at AVID?

10. Bored of Ed

Bored of Ed Enthusiast

May 6, 2013

Never heard of AVID, thanks, Caesar.

Pwhatley, FIRST grade? Don't know what's happening to kids these days, but when I was in first grade time management was up to the adults and you didn't have to take notes much either.