Study Island

Discussion in 'General Education' started by kacieann, Aug 7, 2009.

1. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 7, 2009

My school is getting Study Island. I would like any information that you can give my about the program. I know it is very expensive and I am interested in getting every penny out of our funds spent.

3. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 7, 2009

The program is absolutely awesome. The school I was at last year had it and I absolutely loved it. It was great review for the children and they could access both at home or school which was great because parents could see how well their children where doing when practice testing and where they still needed to work.

4. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Aug 7, 2009

The kids love it. It is supposed to be aligned to your state's standards. It gives you lots of data on student progress and class averages. You can also print worksheets and award certificates from the site.

5. Dee452

Dee452 Comrade

Aug 7, 2009

Our kids loved it. It is aligned to standards and you can print quizzes from the site.

6. evil_twin2327

evil_twin2327 Rookie

Aug 7, 2009

I wasn't impressed with it. Our kids were not invested at all and just clicked any old answer. The math teachers did see some improvement with lower-level kids, but not much. I didn't find the Language Arts section to be of any use.

7. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 8, 2009

Thanks for all of the information. I'm hoping with the ability to print awards the students will stay interested and entertained.

8. EiffelTower

EiffelTower Comrade

Aug 8, 2009

Our school is going to be implementing this program too. It apparently was a huge success at other schools in the district, so we're hoping to have the same results.

9. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Aug 8, 2009

Our teachers use it but as a whole group thing on the smartboard. Our students don't have access to computers often enough. I've heard the teachers like it because it is aligned to the state standards and it gives the students practice with using test style passages and questions.

10. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Aug 8, 2009

I LOVE study island. Last year I was at a school where there were computers in every room. We were required to have all of our students on the program every day. A lot of teachers made it a center during guided reading. Some teachers allotted time first thing in the morning and at the end of the day for the kids to work on the program. Apparently, it has been working around our district. We also use "First in Math".

11. bluebutterfly

bluebutterfly Rookie

Aug 10, 2009

We used it last year and I liked it. There were a few things that were on our state test that was different on Study Island, mainly probablity questions.

12. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 10, 2009

I love it! I wish my school still had it- I was tempted to pay for it out of pocket this year. It is perfect for whole group (love the reviews). My test scores were through the roof because of it.

13. kacieann

kacieann Companion

Aug 10, 2009

I'm so excited to get to know the program. They are doing a conference call on Wednesday so we will have more information. Thanks again for all the information.