Study Island

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by frogger, Aug 22, 2008.

1. frogger

frogger Devotee

Aug 22, 2008

Does anyone use it with their kids?

Do you like it? Dislike it?

Pros/Cons?

3. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Aug 22, 2008

I don't use it for 1st, but our 2-5 kids use it. The teachers love it because it's review of the standards. The kids love it because of the games.

4. 5thgradeTNteach

5thgradeTNteach Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

My school district uses it and I love it!! Our computer lab teacher pretests all of the children, once that is done all we have to do is tell her when they are ready to take a test and she works it into her planning for that week. It works out great and our test scores showed it!! I also give my students a certificate of appreciation every time they pass a test- I make a big deal about it and they just love it!

5. zoodies

zoodies Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

We use this and the kids and teachers love it. It lets you see what they are really not getting and reinforce that in the class. A lot of the kids use it at home also.

6. teacher333

teacher333 Devotee

Aug 23, 2008

Our District uses it in all elementary and middle school classes, and we are expected to put aside one 40 minute period per week to do this. We as teachers feel it is only a learn-to-take a test site and we would much rather do review activities in class with out students. We do like the fact that you can print out daily reports and know exactly what your students are having some difficulty with and who has been using the site, but I know at the end of the year last year in 5th grade we had many students who never even logged in a single time and there were no repercussions.

7. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Aug 23, 2008

Love, love, love it!!!!!!

Pros: Review of concepts, prepare for state testing, high interest games, teacher can monitor progress

Cons: I hope they don't replace me with study island :haha:

8. momof6

momof6 Rookie

Aug 23, 2008

hmmm.

I personally don't like the program. It is fine if your students are on grade level, but I have lower level students and the program is not individualized.

Plus, they are good at memorizing the correct answer and just clicking on it the next time the question comes around.

9. lteach2

lteach2 Cohort

Aug 24, 2008

I used it at my last school and from what I remember, it was pretty good. The great thing is that it goes back to lower material (even a grade level lower) if they don't get it.

10. DaTeach

DaTeach Comrade

Aug 24, 2008

We have to use it and reports are sent to administrators!

We use this in our computer lab, but sometimes I'd just like to do something else with the time. I think next time, we'll just do study island for half the class, and an activity from another website the second half.

11. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Aug 24, 2008

It does take their testing level into account when they pretest them, and when they do poorly in an area.

I LOVE study island. My testing scores have gone through the roof the past two years since we started using it.

12. Beth2004

Beth2004 Maven

Aug 24, 2008

My school uses it primarily for math and science so I never used it last year. My goal is to start this year because everyone raves about it. I already signed up for Tuesdays in the computer lab and I can't wait to get started!

13. amber1011

amber1011 Rookie

Aug 24, 2008

I used it when student teaching last year; i thought the questions were great...but it didnt' contain enough questions. They just looped around and kids were eventually memorizing the answers!