Study Island

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by jsfowler, Feb 26, 2008.

1. jsfowler

jsfowler Companion

Feb 26, 2008

I wanted to hear from teachers who use the program Study Island in their classroom. What grade level and subject do you teach? Is it worth the time and money? HOW do you use it in your classroom?

3. Amers

Amers Cohort

Feb 26, 2008

I use Study Island in my classroom. I teach fifth grade. Every week, my students complete one communication arts quiz. I assign the topic, and they have to answer at least 10 questions. Their score goes in my gradebook (It is worth 10 points). If they score less than 70%, they have to do a printed worksheet to raise their score. My hope is this will better prepare my class for our state tests in April. Since I am a first year teacher, I will have to wait and see if it works. This is the first year my school has used Study Island.

Our computer teacher also does Study Island quizzes with the classes once a month. My class only does math study island with her since that's what I assign for her days. Other teachers do it differently.

I also spoke with my class about the different ratings (advanced, proficient, basic, below basic). I explained that our goal is to score at least proficient in all the topics by the end of the year.

As for whether or not it's worth the money, I don't know. My school district supplies it, so I have no idea how much it is costing them. I'm making good use of it though!

4. mr.r1978

mr.r1978 Rookie

Feb 26, 2008

We use schoolisland.com and it's great! I love it for several reasons; 1. I can assign them extra practice questions, BUT should they need more practice, THEY can make their OWN and be supplied a reason why an answer is right or incorrect, 2. It makes for a good weekend assignment -- 20 question quiz, counts as 1 homework quiz.

5. katie94

katie94 Rookie

Mar 1, 2008

May I ask, what is Study Island? It sounds very intriguing, and if it's helpful, I would love to use it when I become a full time teacher!

6. Amers

Amers Cohort

Mar 1, 2008

It's an online state test prep program. It aligns with your state's standards. For example, one fifth grade GLE in Missouri is fragments and run-ons. My students go to Study Island. They can read a short lesson over the topic, then test. There are also games on the site that help review the topic as well.

Then, I can go into my teacher page and see how they scored on the topics. I can also assign specific topics or print off ws to use in class.

There is more to it than that, but that's the gist of it. I don't know if all states have access to Study Island though.