Study Island

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Marci07, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 23, 2011

My school just bought Study Island and I would like to know anybody's experiences with this program. For example:

How do you incorporate it in your classroom?
    How often?
    Do students find it easy to follow?

3. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

Sep 23, 2011

It is a really great tool because it aligns with every one of our tested indicators. I usually will release 2 tests per week (one in reading and one in math) on whatever skill we are working on. They have 1 week to complete it and it is looked at as homework. Also, one thing to talk to the students about is that if they don't try and score low on a test they have to get their average up to the passing score, not just retake it until they pass. Some students get into trouble with that and have to take the same test 10 times to get the average back up. Oh, and also I tell them they have to put in for 10 questions, they put in for how many they want to take and some will try and put in 2 questions to pass the test :)

4. math1abee

math1abee Companion

Sep 23, 2011

We are trying to incorporate it once per unit (which is about once every 4 weeks)...usually as a review tool. It was great for my first unit, however, the content being covered on study island for our current unit is too difficult and does not truly align with the standards covered. This prevents it from being an effective tool for me.

I have tried to differentiate the learning difficulty level but was still unsuccessful in making it a good review tool for my students.

On the other hand, I do like the reports it runs because I can break it down by class and then again by student to see where they are struggling.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 24, 2011

I use it with my RtI students every day. I use it with all of my students weekly to complete their weekly learning target checks. Sometimes I print the worksheets and use them that way, and sometimes I will use it with the student responders. I always put assignments with all standards in the lessons for the students to work on at home. They make great snow-day assignments.

I've used it as a pre-test as well. Earlier in the year I had the students take the diagnostic test so I could see where they were having issues.

6. Marci07

Marci07 Devotee

Sep 24, 2011

Do you create your own bank of problems or do you use the ones given by the site? Is this also for math?