Study Island Anyone?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Maryhf, Sep 8, 2011.

1. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 8, 2011

I am required to assign and grade Study Island. It has been revamped and includes more assignments. I'm concerned that it will be overwhelming. How do you handle it?

3. princessbloom

princessbloom Comrade

Sep 8, 2011

Forgive me but what is Study Island?

4. OneBerry

OneBerry Comrade

Sep 8, 2011

I used Study Island once a week in student teaching and I loved it... mostly because the kids loved it. I can't imagine grading it, but I think it's a great tool for practice and assessment.

5. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 8, 2011

I used Study Island for snow day activities, and I also use it with remediation for my RtI group. This year I'm using the quizzes for weekly learning checks.

6. Reality Check

Reality Check Habitué

Sep 8, 2011

Our district tried "Study Island" for a year. It became more like "Gilligan's Island"......a shipwreck. Too many of the kids wouldn't use it. :unsure:

7. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Sep 8, 2011

Our upper grade teachers are using it, but the grade levels are deciding how they want to use it. Our school is trying to use less paper, so one grade level is deciding to give homework on the computer, and Study Island is one part of that. At my old school, very few students had reliable access to Study Island, so i took my kids to the lab regularly to do it there. I loved using it, but I was just using it for practice and data, not necessarily for grades.

What kind of access to computers will you have? You might take your kids once a week to the computer lab to do the graded assignment, if possible.

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Sep 9, 2011

Our P has told us we have to grade it so that students will actually use it. I prefer a completion grade even though I know that some students will just give any answer to be finished.The current grading system causes some students to work for hours to try to get a higher score.I can try to reserve the computer lab but I worry about missing so much class time. Our population is very mixed - more than half are upper middle class and the rest is very rural and economically low.

9. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Sep 9, 2011

We use it. The kids love it. It's pretty low maintenance. My school won a study island lab decorating contest last year! We got $$$ to spend on new tech!:D

10. amyt682

amyt682 Comrade

Sep 9, 2011

starting that tuesday

my district requires all students to use study island 3 times a week for math only...not sure how it works, or what to do, i looked at it once since school started and only 14 of my 27 students were listed, so we couldn't start...I know you can decide what skills you want them to work on and you can print reports for each student to track how far they get, have to print those to document, document, document!