Study Guides

Discussion in 'Secondary Education Archives' started by ms_chandler, Nov 7, 2006.

1. ms_chandler

ms_chandler Comrade

Nov 7, 2006

I am used to teaching high school, but now I teach 7th. Am I babying them to give them study guides? I don't give them the answers because it's stuff they are responsible for already. I just tell them all of the questions on the test, and they must look up and answer them. I don't give them any answers for it at all. The teachers at my school do it, so that's why I started doing it. But, I just don't want to baby them at all. Just wondering...

:thanks:

3. Raising3boys

Raising3boys Companion

Nov 7, 2006

I am sure you are going to get mixed answers on this questions. I teach fifth and we do not give study guides. Our fourth grade teachers do, however. As a fifth grade teacher, I am supposed to be getting them ready for middle school. I know most teachers in our middle school expect the students to take notes and then study the notes. In the notes I give the students the first thing, they copy is the objective/standard that they are expected to know by the end of the lesson/unit. If they know the standard then they will know the answers on the assessment.

As a parent though of a sixth grader ( in private school) one of his teachers gives a study guide. All my son does is regurgitate what is on the study guide word for word. The study guide is in SS. It bothers me because I often wonder if my child just is memorizing the material or he if he is truly mastering concepts.

I am anxious to hear views on this subject. Like I said-I do not give study guides.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2006

I'm 7th grade math this year.

I let each of my classes know the specific format of the test. (" 30 scantron questions -2 pts each- on properties, Order of Operations, and sets. Five part II's, 8 pts each on the following topics:..."

Otherwise, 1st period is surprised by the format of the test, and 9th period knows exactly what to expect. So I give each of them the format, and each class gets a different test.

For our departmentalized Cumulative tests, I won't give them the specific topics for Part II. I do allow them to generate a list in class though. Inevitably they hit all the high points, but it's coming from them, not me.

5. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Nov 7, 2006

I teach English I Pre-AP, 9th graders, and I give them study guides for semester exams. A list of terms, so they can sit there and define words? No way. The study guides contain open-ended questions to get them thinking more deeply about the material.

6. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Nov 7, 2006

I teach 9th grade, and I use study guides, but I tend to do a *lot* of hand holding b/c my kids will wander off...and get lost..or kidnapped..

7. scienceteach50

scienceteach50 Companion

Nov 8, 2006

LOL

I use study guides for my 8th graders. But i do not give them the test questions. My study guides are purely vocabulary and concepts that are subject to being tested. And I do not give them answers to the study guides either.

Sometimes my study guide is a list of words or concepts to know. Sometimes its pictures that they have to describe. I change it up to keep the kids on thier toes.

8. Mr. M

Mr. M Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

Your students are kidnapped?

Lucky.

9. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 8, 2006

Where can I send my group of grade 8 Student Support kids so that they can be kidnapped? (Actually, they are having a great week, so I want to keep them!)

When I taught grade 7 and 8 math I would give them examples of the types of questions that would be on the test a few days before as a self-measure of how well they understood the material.

10. jen7-19

jen7-19 Rookie

Nov 8, 2006

I teach 8th grade History and I give study guides. I use them to help them understand why notes are important. They are starting to get that concept. I take them for a grade at times and at other times I do not. 2nd semester I will give them a study guide but will not go over it on class or take a grade on it. Just one more step to be ready for next year when study guides aren't given. But I beleive a study guide should be a study aid more than anything. Just to give you an idea of what you could see on the test.

Also, my study guides are not test questions. They are questions that should gather all the information into one spot to aid in studying and to help make the connections between the information.

11. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Nov 8, 2006

I go over my study guides- in class, word for word.
    Unfortunately, if I leave the kids on their own to recognize an element, it usually doesn't happen. Even if 1/2 the kids got it, I still have half a clueless class.

My study guides are basically along the lines of ' translate this monologue into modern english', or 'What is represented by mom serving Luke's bread to the family?'

For a 9th grade class, it's too much hand holding, but for 7th graders, I think study guides are fine..

12. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Nov 12, 2006

I don't give study guides to my fifth graders. I am preparing them for middle school and think it is wrong to basically give them the test (by giving the questions) and then expecting them to memorize only that information to pass. It does not make sense to me at all.

13. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Nov 13, 2006

A study guide doesn't have to be the test questions. You can ask questions on the concepts.
    "Why was the plague spread so easily in Europe"
    "What effects did the plague have on the population of England"
    "What effects did the plague have on public health"

They could be the 'unit review' questions that are in textbooks..

The same things you'd discuss in class. In fact, you could use them to guide whole class or small group discussion. So, there's a good deal of flexibility in how they're used.