Study Guides for Industrial and Technology CSET

Discussion in 'Single Subject Tests' started by APUgrad04, Dec 7, 2010.

1. APUgrad04

APUgrad04 New Member

Dec 7, 2010

Hello,

I have taken and passed all components of the CSET multiple subjects test and I am currently working on taking the single subject Industrial and Technology in January. I do not know anyone that has taken this exam. I have glanced at some of the sample questions and they seem familiar to information that I already know since I have a bachelors in Graphic Design.
    Does anyone know of any good study prep guides or websites that will be useful for this exam? Also, do any of you know someone that has taken this exam? I am wondering if this will be a difficult exam. I want to take a single subject exam and thought that this would be best suitable for me since I know a lot about computers, design, and technology.

Any information is greatly appreciated!

Thanks

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Dec 7, 2010

Your graphic design background will be helpful, certainly. As for prep guides, do have a look at ALL the material on the CSET page for this exam - including the subject matter requirements - and you might also do well to consult the state Career Technical Education content standards at http://www.cde.ca.gov/be/st/ss/.

4. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Dec 7, 2010

I took and passed the two parts of this exam in September. It covers such a wide variety of topics and there isn't really a specific study guide anywhere focused on them. So few people take it, there really isn't a market for it. The proctor where I was said she had never seen anyone take the test before. If you download the statewide stats, I think I remember seeing only 170 people took it last year. But the passing rate is quite good, at 80% or so.

The only thing you really have to go on is the test descriptions and list of topics that you can download in pdf from the CSET website. There is a long list of books there which I either found on eBay or at the library. You really have to just sort of browse through the books keying in on the topics they mention and get a thin surface-area knowledge of all the subjects involved.

Design is covered, but so are automotive engineering, construction management and electronic circuitry, to name a few. The sample essay questions from the CSET site are very similar to what was on the test, so get those down pat. So really as far as online resources, unfortunately it begins and ends with the test description on the CSET site.

5. Nick Carlile

Nick Carlile Rookie

Mar 26, 2017

Did you pass it? I know this was 6 years ago, but I am scheduled to take it in two weeks. I would love to get some insight from you. Can you shoot me an email? Carlile6 at gmail dot com... really appreciate it!

6. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 27, 2017

In 2017, the best advice I can give here is to start with California's CTE content standards and frameworks, both of which are available via www.cde.ca.gov, and make a point of looking up online every bit of terminology that you don't already know cold.

7. Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson New Member

Apr 5, 2017

Thanks, TeacherGroupie. I just looked at the CTE Framework, which I had not yet looked at. While the hundreds of pages were daunting, I found it helpful to skim for the objectives in each area.

This may be too late for Nick, but I'm taking it tomorrow and perhaps it will benefit someone. Anyway, I've been collecting and creating some resources on Quizlet. Feel free to take a look, if it's not too late.

For some reason, this forum is not letting me post the link, but if you search my username jrobertson223 or CSET ITE, you will hopefully find the folder, or at least some of the sets.

Best of luck,
    JR

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Apr 5, 2017

You're welcome, Jason Robertson, and welcome to A to Z.

9. MacGuffin

MacGuffin Companion

Apr 24, 2017

Sorry, I don't come on here often, but yes I passed it and added the IndTech endorsement onto my credential. It actually got me a temporary job right after I did six years ago. But It has been so long I don't think I can be of much help and I thought I was lucky to have passed it, and find it hilarious that the state thinks I'm qualified to teach things like "Aircraft Engineering." If I ever do, make sure you check before you fly that your plane wasn't built by one of my former students.

10. Jennbenz

Jennbenz New Member

Jul 27, 2017

Hi Jason and Nick, Did you take the exam? How was it? Any tips? I am scheduled to take it Aug 8th. I am mostly worried about the writing portion.

11. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2017

Welcome to A to Z, Jennbenz. What has you worried about the writing specifically?

12. Jennbenz

Jennbenz New Member

Jul 27, 2017

Looking at the sample essays, the answers are so specific, I'm just not sure I have the depth of knowledge. I am definitely a generalist.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2017

Generalists rock! If you're pretty good at inventing the answer you don't know cold because you do know the principles, you'll do fine.

Do bear in mind, please, that a passing score is 220 on a scale from 100 to 300. In other words, 200 scaled points are available, and you need 120 of them. With a decent performance on the multiple-choice questions, you can get away with a less than stellar performance on constructed response.

14. Jennbenz

Jennbenz New Member

Jul 27, 2017

Good to know! I was thinking I had to pass the written separately.

15. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 27, 2017

Nope: you pass the subtest as a whole.

16. Jason Robertson

Jason Robertson New Member

Aug 6, 2017

Hi Jennbenz,

I just got back from vacation. I hope this gets to you before the test. I passed both sub-tests. Whew.Without breaking their confidentiality rules, I think I can tell you to study the written sample questions and responses that they give you. Write out your answers to each and compare to their answers. I will be surprised if that doesn't prepare you well!

You don't seem concerned about the rest, and that's probably fine. Study your vocabulary and you can probably answer a lot of those. Being a bit of a handyman around my own home actually helped me on quite a few questions, but I probably would have gotten most of those by studying.

I also had plenty of time. I probably finished with an hour to spare.

Best of luck!
    Jason

17. Jennbenz

Jennbenz New Member

Aug 7, 2017

Thank you! I'm taking it tomorrow morning, so I will spend today following your advise. Thanks again!

18. roseteacher

roseteacher New Member

Aug 7, 2017

I take mine tomorrow too! Good luck, Jenn!

And thank you to everyone else for the wonderful tips!

Jennbenz likes this.