Study guides, do you use them?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Oct 3, 2010.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2010

If yes, how do you use them? This concept is new to me...

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 3, 2010

my daughter's teachers use them. They are basically the test questions written in a different manner. Maybe matching vs. fill in the blank, etc. To quote my daughter: "OMGosh Mom, this is the SAME stuff that I did last night! How many times do I have to tell her what a vascular plant is?" Then a week later: "Ms. S makes it sooo easy to learn science. She tells us the same thing over and over and over. It's boring but you have no choice but to learn it." LOL

I give them to my on-level high school students sometimes. Depends on the chapter. Also, if I find some that are already made I might give them to the students even if I didn't feel the need. I would never give them to my honors students. I believe that the study guides help raise test scores but I'm not sure that the students have really learned the material thoroughly. And I don't believe that they teach students how to learn material - they just reinforce lower level learning. BUT...I teach high school students, not elementary.

4. teachgrade5

teachgrade5 Comrade

Oct 3, 2010

I do use them in my elementary classroom. Sometimes they work, sometimes they don't. I use them mainly in social studies and science. I usually give them 4-5 days to fill it out and use it to study for their test. I always do a test review with the students before the test. Even though I use them, it doesn't necessarily mean the students use them to help them study for their tests. You can tell you actually takes the time to fill out the study guide, because they normally do very well.

Some of my students are required to be given a study guide before a test due to 504s or IEPs. If I am going to give one or two students a study guide, then all the students are going to get one.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Oct 3, 2010

I teach sp. ed. Social Studies (middle school) and this is what I've been doing with my students. As we go through each chapter/unit, I give them notes on the board to copy (I prompt them to tell me what should be included in the notes.) About a week before a test, I give them a study guide with the information that will be on the test and many key words missing for them to fill in. If they've been taking their notes properly, they can go right from the notes. Or, they can use their textbooks. The study guides are due a few days before the test and I mark them as a quiz grade. After receiving their filled in study guides, I give them a study guide back that is filled in correctly so even if they made mistakes on their study guide, they have a correct, clean copy to study from.

In doing this, I feel like I ensure they a) take notes, b) learn the information that's on the test and c) have a chance to earn a high quiz grade on information they don't have to memorize which can compensate for a low test grade if they have trouble recalling the same info. on a test

6. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 3, 2010

I observed a 2nd grade classroom that had the students using study guides, notes, and planners! :eek: Is this commonplace for 7 year olds? It seemed a little bizarre to me, but maybe we're just not doing it in my class?

7. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 3, 2010

I use study guides. I think it is important to teach the students how to make their own, either using their text or notes or a combination. I show my students how to use their math book to get a study guide. I teach my students how to study using their social studies book and notes. This way I don't have to make as many study guides but can have the students make them.

I think that it is important to teach use of planners and note taking in early grades. When I was in second grade, we did and that was years ago!

8. alschoolteacher

alschoolteacher Companion

Oct 4, 2010

I use study guides for science, social studies, religion, and math. I stamp them sign and return. A signature is worth 5 points on the test. Most of the ones that are signed end up with a 100 on the test anyway. My study guides vary. Sometimes it is the review page from the book. Other times I use crosswords that are completed in class (and reviewed in class), typed "big idea" pages, and fill-in-the blank pages that are completed and reviewed in class. For math, they complete the review page the day before the test and I grade it and send it home that day. We do not have planners until third grade, but I wish they would get them for 2nd grade! I found an extra one laying around and used it for a child last year and we both loved it. K-2 use daily folders instead of planners.

9. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 4, 2010

How many days do you allow for study guides or review for a test in general where you are not teaching new concepts, only reviewing?

Are study guides completed in school or out?

With study guides, do you give them out when you are still teaching or only once you have taught all the concepts?

I tend to vary on what I do and just looking to see what others do. In this rush rush, teach everything environment, I keep changing how I use study guides and haven't found what I like best.

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Oct 4, 2010

I used a study guide for my 7th/8th grade math kids just last week...I wasn't sure how I wanted to do it, but I ended up using the directions from the test. I put at the top:

To be successful on the test, you should know how to:

Solve equations.
    Solve absolute value equations.
    Solve and graph inequalities.
    Solve and graph AV inequalities.

Solve story problems related to the above.

I didn't give them specific problems to practice, but they know where in the book they can look to find problems. As long as they know how to attack a problem when they see directions similar to those, they should be fine.

I've graded 2 pages of the tests, and they seem to be going well!

11. TechTeacher

TechTeacher New Member

Oct 4, 2010

I would have to say that having a "study guide" is useful, but for something to be a study guide, it cannot be something that they turn in for a grade. I think that having a student turn the study guide in makes it less for study, and more of the same work they do as homework.

12. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 4, 2010

some teachers where I work make study guides for the tests where they remove key words from test questions or rearrange them like my daughter's teachers do. Then they have the students turn in the guides on the day of the test. Students get to use them for studying and those that complete the guides get a curve on their tests.

13. tgim

tgim Habitué

Oct 4, 2010

We use study guides as a review of the previous day's lesson; we fill them out together, and the info for the test is pulled from this document. If they know what is on the study guide, they will do well on their SS or Sci tests.

In Math, I often use an alternative form of the test as a study guide. It is done as homework, but not recorded as a grade.