Study Guide for Elementary content Praxis (0014)?

Discussion in 'Multiple Subject Tests' started by elise74, May 1, 2008.

1. elise74

elise74 Rookie

May 1, 2008

I have been a teacher since 1998 but I am adding an elementary endorsement; I need to take Praxis II 0014. There are about a trillion Praxis study guides out there; any recommendations? Or other tips for me?
    Thanks!

3. lowes48

lowes48 Companion

May 3, 2008

If you go to praxis2studynotes.com you can get all four subjects areas for $75 or you can purchase each subject separately. I highly recommend the science and social studies. The great thing about these notes they are the exact outline in the ets study guide. I know because I have it. I had also bought that anita price davis book and it really wasnt good. Just check the site out for yourself.

4. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

May 3, 2008

0014 is a multiple-subjects test; you'll find more help here in the Multiple Subjects Tests subforum.

There's no such thing as the one right resource for absolutely everybody; whenever possible, it makes sense to examine a study guide or prep book before buying.

If you like assimilating material for yourself and want something that will be helpful in your future classroom, try fairly sophisticated children's encyclopedias from the likes of Dorling Kindersley, Kingfisher, or Usborne.

5. veggie_lover

veggie_lover Rookie

May 23, 2008

bood rec

I used this book to pass the test: Methods, Strategies, and Elementary Content, by Chris Nicholas Boosalis. It was very helpful. I have been out of college for a long time, so I really needed the review. I passed the first time... thanks to this book. I can't recommend it enough.

Good Luck on your test.

6. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

I tried to search for the book about methods, strategies, but no luck, also by authors name. Do you have the ISB number? it would really help. thanks,

7. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 3, 2008

I studied with a group of students in a workshop my college hosted. One of the sources we used was the actual study guide from ETS. It's terrible, I don't recommend it at all.

One thing I did that I found especially useful, albeit time-consuming, was I bought some large index cards and made flashcards out of the terms and theories from these sites. I took the cards everywhere I went and studied when I had a chance.

http://www.cheyney.edu/pages/?p=163

http://www.cheyney.edu/pages/?p=158

http://www.cheyney.edu/pages/index.asp?p=162

8. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

Hello Pisces_Fish,
    are these websites usefull for Elementary Ed. Praxis 0014?
    thanks,

If yes, do you recommend any other book?

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jun 3, 2008

What matters, Valeriana, is not whether a book works for someone else: what matters is whether it works for you. For example, some people have really liked Boosalis's books for exams in California, and some people have really hated them. If you're anywhere near a bookstore that carries several books, try looking through them all for the book that will work for you.

By the way, I just Googled "boosalis strategies" and the book that was mentioned popped right up as the first hit.

The cheyney.edu Web pages contain some errors of fact as regards language but they're errors of fact that get repeated as gospel in education.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 3, 2008

I just realized I goofed! I used those websites for 0012, not 0014...sorry! I've taken 0011, 0012, 0014 and PPST, so it gets confusing :)

Anyway, for 0014 I'd highly recommend a book by Kaplan Press. I used it for PPST, too, and passed both on the first shot. I really feel like the book helped.

http://www.amazon.com/Kaplan-PRAXIS-2005-Praxis/dp/0743251881/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1212536837&sr=8-3

This book is from 2005, not sure if there's a newer version but I doubt much has changed.

11. Valeriana

Valeriana Rookie

Jun 4, 2008

Thank you, I already requested at my local library.