Study Group for Rica

Discussion in 'Other Tests' started by WonderW05, Jul 22, 2006.

1. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 22, 2006

Hi Everyone

I thought I would post a new thread and see if anyone is willing to start a discussion group for the next two RICA Tests. I have a book with sample case studies and thought we could hash over these with of course the advice and guidance of TeacherGroupie. If anyone is willing please post and leave your thoughts. :)

3. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

It makes sense to look at the materials on the RICA Web site, http://www.rica.nesinc.com - there's a raft of information there about what you're supposed to know for this test.

4. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

Yes, I am definately up for particapating in this RICAQ study group. Although I won't be taking it till December, the more information I have the better prepared I will be.

Thank you for getting this started now.

5. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

People shouldn't be taking RICA till AFTER they've had whatever coursework their credential program offers by way of reading instruction methodology. In fact, I'd recommend holding off on RICA till during or after the primary-grade student teaching rotation, because so much of what you do will make so much better sense at that point.

6. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 23, 2006

TG
    yes, I definately agree with you. I have finished my beginning and intermediate reading The beginning reading flows right directly into the intermediate. What you get from the first class is great(if you have a great professor, I did) ,but being able to link them together will allow you to understand how assesment and Reading strategies are used in teaching. So, what do you suggest as I know some people are studying for the 27th RICA this month?

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 23, 2006

Know the whole sequence, from before emergent literacy to near-adult proficiency. Know what kids are supposed to be up to at each age and know what it is that you as teacher are supposed to be doing to help. Know the technical terminology that goes with reading and writing...

8. Erin Elizabeth

Erin Elizabeth Groupie

Jul 24, 2006

I would like to add that you should know some specific strategies for teaching skills at each stage.

9. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 24, 2006

You bet, Erin. Care to kick things off by contributing a couple?

10. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 24, 2006

TG
    I wouldn't mind contributing some of the ones that I have acquired:

Kindergarten through roughly the first grade-Concepts about Print and Phonemic Awareness. Concepts about Print refers to how to hold a book. Where to locate the Author and Illustrator. They must also know where a sentence begins and ends(Capital letter and punctuation marks.They must be aware that a sentence is also read from right to left. Phonemic awareness can be taught by having children practice individual sounds by matching them with a picture of an object for example letter c is/k / and a picture of a cat would be shown with the letter c on the back of the card. Another suggestion for this is that you can read a word like bed and have the student tell you what initial sound they hear such as /b/ "buh" ball. This would allow them to isolate and hear each phoneme.
    Oh just to add Phonemic awareness is the ability to recognize spoken words as a sequence of individual sounds. A phoneme is the smallest sound unit of a language that distinguishes one word from another such as the phoneme /h/ distinguishes hat from at; tell and yell /t/ and /y/. :) I keep telling myself it a a true wonder that I am writing here today. Our language is so difficult as there are so many rules that apply, but that is later. No need to stress though.

11. superkev31

superkev31 Rookie

Jul 28, 2006

^^^ WonderW05, wonderful knowledge you typed up there, :)

12. WonderW05

WonderW05 Comrade

Jul 29, 2006

Superkev31
    Thanks I never really understood this concept until I began teaching k-2 grade children in beginning reading. I am getting ready to start studying this weekend so I will post more information as I go along.

13. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jul 29, 2006

I will quibble a little.

Phonemic awareness doesn't have to do with letters, strictly speaking, but primarily with understanding that spoken English can be broken down into words, words into syllables, and syllables ultimately into individual sounds. A kid who can't recognize the sound /b/ in the word bud is going to have trouble making sense of the mapping between sounds and letters.

As to English being more difficult than other languages, it depends. English is a little complicated as regards the mapping between sounds and letters, to be sure, but Japanese requires you to know social relationships and German requires you to know three genders of inanimate objects...

14. Kelster

Kelster Comrade

Jul 31, 2006

In regards to phonemic awareness there are several components, these include : 1. the awareness of words 2. Ability to rhyme
    3. Ability to blend 4. Ability to segment into words and syllables ie: beginning, middle, end 5. Ability to identify beginning sounds (onsets) 6. Ability to segment words into phonemes 7. Ability to substitute and manipulate beginning phonemes and 8. Ability to substitute middle and ending phonemes.