Studeous.com

Discussion in 'General Education' started by raneydae, Jan 7, 2009.

1. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jan 7, 2009

I just want to say that I really like this site! ku_alum, I saw you mention this on a previous post somewhere and decided to check it out. I set up all my classes on it and sent out an email to all my students/parents about it.

I was using edublogs.org before, but felt that the "blog" format was a little too bulky. Studeous.com is perfect - now if I could just get the rest of my school to sign on to it.

Anyways, I just wanted to say thanks and to spread the word about this site. :)

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jan 7, 2009

I just went through the "Learn More". It seems like it would be a great tool.

4. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Jan 7, 2009

Could you tell me what I might use studeous.com for? I wandered around the site, but not sure what I'd be using it for in my daily teaching...I want to start getting more technology in my professional life, and this may be the way, but...???

5. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Jan 7, 2009

I'm not sure if everyone would get the same use out of it as myself, but I've set it up as my virtual classroom. I had an edublogs.org before, with homework assignments posted, helpful review links, information for my students, etc. But I found the structure of edublogs too bulky, to much like a "blog".

studeous.com is where the students can go to one page and have everything in a much more organized format. I have the option of uploading files for my students to download, a place to list homework, a class discussion board, even a dropbox option and live class chat, if I wanted to organize one...

My school has a strange set-up and because none of my students begin/end school at the same time, nor do I have a home classroom to keep stuff - I'm REALLY excited about this site because it's going to allow me to manage/organize my classes online more.

6. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jan 7, 2009

is there a way we could see your site? I agree it looks awfully cool, but i would really love to look at a sample site

7. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jan 7, 2009

I too have set up my classes on studeous. In fact, I took the time to set up my final exam for the end of fall semester on studeous for two of my classes. I booked the computer room and gave my students the information to log on and take their test. It was great! My sped kids could take the test elsewhere with ease, the computer graded the test and allowed me to show students their results very quickly, students said they were less nervous taking it, I could randomized all questions so no two students had the same version, and when students were finished they had a computer to keep them entertained while the rest of the class finished.

I've also used studeous with other classes for online collaboration and group discussions. It is an amazing resource that can be tailored to fit your style. I recommend signing up and playing around with what it offers. If you like it ask your kids to jump on board.

I've also used studeous with other classes for online collaboration and group discussions. It is an amazing resource that you can use in many different ways.

8. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2009

Interesting... Is it free of charge, or what?

9. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 7, 2009

Yes, Studeous is free. It's great!

10. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 7, 2009

ku_alum, what are you using it for?

11. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 8, 2009

Posting assignments, posting due dates, uploading docs, discussion forums, digital dropbox, quizzes.

Keep in mind we are 1:1.

I'm exploring Moodle right now (also free) and I just got a 90 day trial to SayWire (not free, but cheap). Both do very similar things. Moodle looks a lot like what our area universities use *(a plus since I have seniors) and SayWire is very pretty (not important except students can customize pages, etc).

12. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Jan 8, 2009

Didn't someone somewhere mention that Moodle requires institutional buy-in?

13. ancientcivteach

ancientcivteach Habitué

Jan 8, 2009

I've set up an account to play with, and I would like to go ahead and enter my kids names into the classes - how can I do that? It looks like I have to wait for them to sign up and I'd rather do it myself.

14. jp_Chicago

jp_Chicago New Member

Jan 8, 2009

Studeous is Great!!

I used to use Moodle. This past year, I switched to Studeous and I would never go back. I teach 12th grade English. I use the site for assignments. quizzes, uploading files, links, discussions, blogs and group email. The Facebook-like appearance is appealing to the students. I think you would find that my students would give almost 100% approval to the site. Once you get the hang of the discussion boards, you can greatly increase the amount of time and involvement that students have with your class.

Moodle is very good--it has a more linear and traditional feel to it. Studeous works more like a resource and a social utility than a course outline. I wish the calendar feature was better (I don't bother using it--it is soooooo clunky) and I would like a wiki inside of Studeous. Studeous is pretty good at listening to needs and trying to improve.

Only three of us at my school use Studeous. It works just fine for one teacher. It has my strongest recommendation.

15. jp_Chicago

jp_Chicago New Member

Jan 8, 2009

On Moodle--you need a site to host it but 1&1 or anything like that can do it cheaply. There is a group that has a name something like Sqool that is hosting. You don't need institutional buy-in but you might need a little tech understanding to set up your hosting. A cooperative technology director can do it for you--if you can find one.

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jan 8, 2009

Temporary Thread Hijack -
    Hello JPChicago! Glad to read another 12th grade English teacher (I have 11 and 12). LOVE it!

Studeous is cool. Moodle is cool. I agree about Studeous listening to their clients. We asked for a digital dropbox, a few days later ... tada ... digital dropbox.

17. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Jan 9, 2009

For studeous kids are supposed to sign up on their own. I made a general free email account and signed my kids up individually. I used part of their name for a username and their ID number for their password. By using the direct link that studeous gives to enroll in a class it is a fairly quick process.

18. raneydae

raneydae Companion

Mar 15, 2009

Oh no! I just got an email from Studeous saying that they are shutting down and that I have to remove all my files by THIS Wednesday!! :eek:

I'm so sad. I really liked Studeous and don't want to have to relocate my "online classroom". And where to store all my files for my students now?? :(

19. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Mar 15, 2009

My sympathies, raneydae.

20. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 16, 2009

I got the same email. :( So sad.

For those of you that need a replacement for Studeous, I have a list of Studeous-like programs on a new website I am creating.

Go to: http://edutechiegal.wordpress.com

and click on the LISTS page.

The 3rd link (Course and Learning Management Systems) has a list of similar systems, many of which are free.

My site is far from complete, but I did get that one on there. I haven't explored any on this list, but will this summer.

21. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Mar 24, 2009

At least you got e-mails. The site disappeared and that was it for me.

22. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Mar 24, 2009

Oh no, Desert!

Your el-e-funt avatar is cute. :)

23. deserttrumpet

deserttrumpet Comrade

Mar 25, 2009

Thanks! I made my little elephant in photoshop along with half a dozen others. I liked the elephant the best and started using it.