Students who talk REALLY LOUD!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TeacherGrl7, Feb 9, 2009.

1. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 9, 2009

Any ideas on how to work with a student who speaks extremely loudly? I have two boys, in two separate classes, that I consistently find myself reminding, "I am right here, you can speak quietly." They do not scream, they just speak so loud that it will literally make my ears ring. It is not simply when they are excited, it is constant. I have had their hearing tested, and it is fine. I can only think that they need to be loud at home to be heard for some reason, but I do not know! The parents are not excessively loud people. It is making me CRAZY and it is really hurting my ears at various points throughout the day, but I just have no idea what to do about it! Thoughts? Maybe I am overlooking something.

3. Bumble

Bumble Groupie

Feb 9, 2009

People from some cultures are naturally loud. My family is from Eastern Europe and we speak loud. Telling someone to speak differently than what they usually do may offed some families. Just be careful.

4. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 9, 2009

I don't believe this to be the case, because I see my kids' parents every day and this is not a trait I see in any of the parents, but I would never have thought of it as a cultural thing so thank you for the heads up. =)

5. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2009

Have they had their hearing checked?

6. old-new teacher

old-new teacher Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

I have one in my class that is a loud talker too! It's funny, because her dad is very soft-spoken as is her sister too. I am constantly having to remind her that we are in the same room, to use an indoor voice, etc. I wish I had some advice for you, but I am struggling with how to deal with it too! Hope someone can offer some insight.

7. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 10, 2009

Some people just have loud voices, and this might be the case with these boys. I'm one of thsoe people. My family is constantly telling me to "turn off the teacher voice", though I had the teacher voice long before I started teaching. The only thing you may be able to do is just consistently remind them to turn the volume down a few notches when they get too loud. After months (or years) of training, they should be able to learn to control the volume without anybody reminding them (or maybe not, since I'm a good case in point for the "never learned" crowd).

8. jb4511

jb4511 Guest

Feb 10, 2009

loud kids

my daughter only hears from one ear and she can get pretty loud it has nothing to do with her hearing but some kids just have that characteristic i think.

9. ianangelyk

ianangelyk Rookie

Feb 10, 2009

loud kid

:D hi teacherGrl7. I know this teacher and she still works with me, she is the loudest person I've ever meet. Her and her family is the same way well any way i had to move to another classroom because of her and not only that when i'm with her i feel anxious because she is very active. but she is a good person. Have you ask your students to use their inside voices?:love:

10. estrellita

estrellita Rookie

Feb 10, 2009

TeacherGrl7

:dizzy:Hi! I read your message and i understand you! at the center where i work the classroom are open classroom that's meaning they are two classroom in one. The children from the other side are very loud it don't matter how many times the teacher tells them to use their inside voices their still loud. by the end of the day my assistant and i go home with a big headache.:dizzy::dizzy::dizzy:

11. SpecSub

SpecSub Comrade

Feb 10, 2009

My kids speak loudly because I have a hearing impairment. The speech therapist trained my son to modulate his voice and now I can't hear him half the time.

12. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 11, 2009

Oh no! Talk about backfire.

I have had their hearing checked, and both checked out fine. When I remind them to use indoor voices, etc., they can lower them for a sentence or two and then naturally revert back. In the grand scheme of things I know this is not a big deal, but in the moment when my ears are ringing and head is pounding, and I see the other children cringing away from these boys and telling me, "He makes my ears hurt," it is not a good thing. I have a feeling this is just something that will plague me until June! But I am glad to hear I am not the only one with this issue!!

13. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Feb 11, 2009

Maybe you could come up with some sort of signal/hand gesture that would tell them to check their volume. Make a game out of it. Give them points each time you have to use the signal and whoever has the least amount of points at the end of the hour/day/week wins a sticker or something.