Students who have succeeded beyond expectations

Discussion in 'General Education' started by blazer, Jul 8, 2020.

1. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Jul 8, 2020

As a counter to the 'gifted student' thread I thought I would start oen about those students who we have known who began with few or no life chances but made something of themselves. I'll start

In my first year of teaching back in '90. A lad in my tutor group (home group in the US). It was a yr 10 (9th grade) class. In the UK our kids (at that time) finished school at the end of yr 11. He was not academic in any sense. I spent a whole semester trying to teaching him % in maths. He was in with a bad crowd and outside school was getting into trouble in minor crime and with the police. One day he came to see me. He wanted to apply for a weekend job at a motor mechanic's workshop and needed a reference from the school. I think the job was mainly valeting the cars before the customers picked them up. I wrote him a reference but also, without his knowledge, contacted the company to speak with the owner. I explained that this lad would be an extremely loyal and productive employee but he would need someone as a mentor to keep him on the straight and narrow. He got the job. 12 months later he left school. A couple of years after that he came back to see me. He was working full time at the autoshop. They had put him onto an apprentice scheme as a mechanic and he was earning a decent wage (for a lad his age) and learning a trade. He was away from the bad kids and keeping out of trouble. I have taught many really academic kids who have gone on to great things but he always sticks in my mind.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 9, 2020

This is hard to write, but I would say my son. At age three we were told he was profoundly mentally retarded, yes, those words, and would most likely have to be institutionalized later in life. There were tears - lots of them. That's when I became a teacher, first just teaching him, later formally entering the profession. Turns out that he is easily distracted by sounds, and when they tested him, he gave them any answer so he could listen to other children on the other side of the mirror. He is blind in one eye - not a big deal, somewhat OCD, which he has learned to manage, and just on the cusp of being on the spectrum, used to be called Asperger's. He taught me how to teach, and I taught him how to cope. I supported him every step of the way, gave him the chance to try and sometimes fail. As many of you know, he is now a teacher, with his MEd. in TESOL, and has been very successful in his Virginia HS working with secondary newcomers. He is gifted in music and in caring for others. He is certainly my biggest success in life, and remains my greatest treasure. :heart:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
    rpan, blazer, TnKinder and 3 others like this.