Students who go over and beyond with projects!

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by TheNumberOne, Nov 19, 2009.

1. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

Hello all,
    I'm an eighth grade ELA teacher, and I assign at least 3 projects a quarter. All of my students like to go over and beyond with the projects, and I feel bad giving them just a 100! Most times, I give them 105's ... if they go over and beyond.

Can you all suggest any tips to be more generous when it comes to projects? Because when I say the students go wild with projects they go WILD! One student spent at least $75 in material for a project that was worth just 10 percent of his final average. :blush:

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Nov 20, 2009

I guess my question would be whether or not the students are mastering whatever concept or skill you are assessing with the project. I, for one, have pretty much abandoned "projects," because what I seemed to be assessing was the students' (or parents') ability with arts and crafts, not their ability to show me what they've learned.
    Not trying to be snarky... just wondering.

4. MsMar

MsMar Fanatic

Nov 20, 2009

If the project represents the learned material exceptionally well is there a place you can display it at the school? We have a space by our principal's office where exceptional work can be put out for the rest of the school to see. Giving that recognition can be worth so much to a student.

5. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 20, 2009

The projects convey the material, and conveys it pretty well too!

MsMar, our school art teachers have display cases around the school where their students' works can be displayed, but generally, we can only display them on the walls of our classroom, and in this one display case for our team. Otherwise, after being graded, they are shown in the class for about a week, and they go home.

6. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Nov 20, 2009

Just an idea - try raising your expectations bar and see if they meet it. If they are all doing exceptionally well at the level you expect of them, raise your expectations and challenge them, ask them to do more (not beyond what they are capable of though). I had a college teacher do that once and it changed my writing abilities. If you could raise the bar and they rise up to meet it, imagine what your class could be like? It would be pretty amazing for them as students and you as a teacher. Once you figure out how to do that, getting other classes in future years to do the same is easier. I challenge you to do this because it worked for me as a student and as a teacher when I finally decided to raise the bar.

7. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 23, 2009

Next project should be something they could publish- a book they write and illustrate that you can then laminate and put in the library, or a script, costumes, and background for a play you video tape and put on TeacherTube. I've had students paint ceiling tiles with their project info and the tiles stay in my ceiling for years. Sometimes projects can be displayed in the community, a museum or retirement home. Congrats in getting great projects from them! Find a way to make their work even more meaningful!

8. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 26, 2009

I'd try to get them to do their next project in class. I am of the opinion that projects that are being marked should not go home - parents tend to be an issue.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Dec 3, 2009

Maybe it's something they enjoy. Some kids have sports, some have projects. Why not let them have fun and express themselves?

However, I would make a very clear Rubric that stresses comprehension rather than creativity, so the less creative kids know exactly how to earn an A