Students who fail a test

Discussion in 'Fourth Grade' started by carlea, Sep 7, 2008.

1. carlea

carlea Comrade

Sep 7, 2008

Do you allow students to retake tests they've failed?

If so, do you average the two scores to get the "final" score? How much time do you give them before giving the second test?

3. michelleann27

michelleann27 Cohort

Sep 7, 2008

Yes, I do allow the students who make below a 50 to retake a test. If I don't the paper work gets bad. Our district maintains tests are 45 % of there grade. So, I do retest to keep them from Tier 11 and having a load of paperwork and parent meetings etc.
    I have just given the second score without averaging but it depends on the second grade and if it is going to make a difference.
    I assume it would be your call.
    We have to fill out paperwork when we work one-on-one and if we write the child's name on the board. It is so time consuming.

4. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Sep 8, 2008

I will allow students to rewrite a test if they come in for some extra help sessions to improve their understanding of the concepts. I don't average the marks--our assessment and evaluation policy states that the report card reflect the "latest and most consistent" level of mastery.

5. MissBee

MissBee Companion

Sep 9, 2008

I allow my kids to take their test home, make corrections, and return it by the end of the week. They can earn half credit for all answers that they have accurately corrected.

I allow any student this opportunity, regardless of the score. I figure if they are willing to put in the extra effort on THEIR OWN TIME, they deserve the extra points. :)

6. MsKay

MsKay Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

I dont really allow them to retest but if the class fails then its on me. I throw out the test and reteach and test again. I may let one or a few students retake if I speak to their family and there is some mistake. Like if it is out of the ordinary for them to fail. I may let them look up the answers in their book and return the test signed the next day.

7. tbed63

tbed63 Rookie

Sep 11, 2008

I allow students to retake tests if they take the test on their own time (at lunch, during math independent work time...thus adding to their homework load, etc.) I average the old and new grade together. I have found that only the very dedicated students remember to make up poor tests (at the upper elementary level.) Also, with regard to averaging two grades, I don't believe in giving students anything lower than a 50% score, even if they score lower than 50%. Here's why. If a kid gets a 10% on a test, that's obviously an 'F.' Let's say he/she gets an A+ on her/his next test, 100%. The average of 10 and 100 is 55. Thus, this student now has an 'F' average in this subject even though he/she has really earned a C (the average between an 'F' and an 'A.' I didn't use to have this policy, but several years ago someone pointed this out to me and I did the ol' dog head tilt. I changed my mind and have used this grading policy ever since.
    I hope this helps,
    Tim

8. pxydst07

pxydst07 Comrade

Sep 12, 2008

I also allow them to fix the mistakes and give them half credit for each correct answer. I have to say that Tim did make me think about the averaging of grades. However, I have students in 4th grade that are reading at a kdg level and are not on an IEP. I feel that they should have a 20%, if that's what they earn because that's what they get on a consistent basis. I think giving them anything higher is misleading.

9. deb4kids

deb4kids Rookie

Sep 19, 2008

Last year, I let them correct and get partial credit. This year I will be rewarding their demonstrated achievement of the learning goal, even if it is on the retest. Thus, I will count the higher score.