Students who don't celebrate holidays...

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by musicteach, Sep 13, 2006.

1. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Sep 13, 2006

I'm planning for my music programs and ordering the programs we are going to be performing. There is one boy who does not celebrate Christmas and his program is Dec 12 (1st/2nd grade). We will start working on the program music in a few weeks, and I don't know what to do with him in music class until December! I would pick a program not based around Christmas,but there just any much to choose from....most are about reindeer & Santa or Christmas trees. His teacher & I are going to talk to his mom, but do you all have any suggestions for me before I talk to her?

3. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 13, 2006

let it snow
    jingle bells
    frosty the snow man

are about snow, not Christmas if I can remember corectly.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 13, 2006

Is there another winter holiday the family celebrates that you could incorporate songs from, to make it a "winter holiday" show instead of a Christmas show?

When you talk with the mom, if you let her know how these songs they're learning are being used not just to learn songs for the show, but to demonstrate particular music concepts, she might be OK with letting him learn them in class... you can always give her the option for him not to perform the songs that go against his traditions. We often had a couple kids who weren't in the final production when I was in grade school.

5. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Sep 13, 2006

Aball-Normally I would appreciate a good sarcastic comment, but I'm not a fool. We don't just stand and sing on stage. I order "Musicals" so there is a play/music. Most musicals available are about some kind of Christmas theme.

6. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Sep 13, 2006

When you talk with the mom, if you let her know how these songs they're learning are being used not just to learn songs for the show, but to demonstrate particular music concepts, she might be OK with letting him learn them in class... you can always give her the option for him not to perform the songs that go against his traditions. We often had a couple kids who weren't in the final production when I was in grade school.[/QUOTE]

That's a good idea...that's the route I was kind of thinking of going. Which is the truth...

7. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Sep 13, 2006

well I didn't mean my coment to be sarcastic. I was truely trying to be helpfull. I am sorry that my post did not help you in any way. I do appreciate you as a music teacher, as a homeschool teacher that is the ability I personally lack, I will not beable to teach my own children what you are able to teach the children that are participating in your musicals at school. When I myself was in elementary school I remember just singing a few songs, that was it.

8. musicteach

musicteach Companion

Sep 13, 2006

Sorry-I took your post the wrong way...Thank you for your positive comments. You may not be able to do the same things with your kids that I teach my classes, but you can still have them learn music (and you get the bonus of enjoying them at home with you!) Anyway... I know what you mean. When I was a kid we just stood up and sang a few songs, so it took me awhile to get used to the whole musical thing. At the school I'm at it started with the teacher before...they had HUGE productions! I've toned it down a little, but I enjoy the programs. Plus, there are soooo many cool ones to order with great music soundtracks. This year we have a new auditorium so I am doing a little more than before with the excitement of the opening of that building.

9. hatima

hatima Devotee

Sep 13, 2006

when I took chorus in middle school we sang secular and religious Christmas songs. My family celebrates Christmas but not religiously. My middle school chorus teacher added Jewish songs for Hawnica (sp?)

10. teresaglass

teresaglass Groupie

Sep 13, 2006

Try to see what the student celelbrates and have him give a short speech or song on that after you talk to the parent. I had students doing all sorts of Winter holidaus such as Winter Solstice, Christmas, Hanukkah, Kwanzaa, Diwali, and Ramadan. The audeince enjoyed this. They made speeches or recited poems. Terry G.

11. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Sep 13, 2006

If he can't take part in the musical, would his parents be ok with him working the curtains, or something similar? If you could find a musical that celebrated different holidays (Kwanza, Hanukkah, etc) that would be fun and interesting, and maybe solve the problem. (Yes, I know they are horribly misspelled!) :D

12. Ms.T

Ms.T Comrade

Sep 13, 2006

Just to put in my 2 cents:
    I was raised as a Jehovah's Witness (haven't been involved since I was 16 though). My parents were extremely strict, so I couldn't participate in any "Christmas" related activities -- or any other holiday themed activities. As a kid it was VERY painful to me to be excluded. I usually just had to sit in the hall during holiday concerts, holiday-themed movies, birthday parties, etc. Of course, that sort of thing was the norm 20 years ago, but today there is much more emphasis on cultural/religious diversity. You might skip the x-mas theme all together and just do a "winter" theme. Most kids in that situation know their parents rules, but don't understand them, so they feel like an outcast.:eek:

I don't mean to attack you in any way:) , I just want you to think of it from the kid's perspective. It's a tough situation all around, not just at Christmas but all school-year long.

13. Grammy Teacher

Grammy Teacher Virtuoso

Sep 13, 2006

If this child is truly a J.W. you will probably find that he/she won't be allowed to be any part of the show...even working the curtains or lighting. It depends on the parents and how strict they are about the religion. I would choose a winter theme and go with that. Isn't there something out there for you to choose from? Frosty The Snowman could make a very fitting choice.

14. tiggerteacher

tiggerteacher Companion

Sep 13, 2006

In my district we have to do a winter theme b/c so many different holidays are celebrated. It is very nice.

15. aprilgurlie

aprilgurlie Rookie

Sep 14, 2006

I had a JW in my class last year and he couldn't do anything holiday themed at all. He could not even come to out Fall Party which celebrated nothing in particular.

When our music teacher was preparing for the program, he went to art or gym instead. (It wouldn't have mattered what songs she picked, he couldn't participate because they were very strict JW.) She gave him work to make up the musical concepts he missed. He was a very sweet and easygoing kid and liked this solution because he loved gym class. He had the choice of staying in music and doing the work while everyone else sang, but you can see why he picked to go to the other specials. Everyone was happy. :)

16. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Sep 14, 2006

musicteach, let us know what you guys decide with the mom!! :)

17. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Sep 17, 2006

Our music teacher has the kids sing all types of different holiday songs. Some are Christmas, some about winter/snow, and some about Hannakuh. I'm not sure what she does about those students who don't celebrate Christmas. We do have a few of those families.

18. hometeachmom

hometeachmom New Member

Sep 17, 2006

Hi Ms.T
    If you don't mind I'd like to talk to you a lil bit. If you can, email me at beautifulwisper@yahoo.com
    Thank you.:)

19. srh

srh Devotee

Sep 17, 2006

Don't miss the point, though, that Musicteach is looking for a MUSICAL-TYPE of program to perform, not just a few songs.

Musicteach--we had a similar student in class last year, and we worked around so many things. In the end, the parent almost never brought the child to any of the activities anyway (maybe thinking "just in case."). It was a bummer on a few counts: we had worked to find ways to include him, it created extra tasks for parent helpers to do, and then he missed out on "community" activities with other students. Good luck though, and I hope the parents appreciate your efforts!