Students who do no work, but ace tests

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by RadiantBerg, Jan 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Jan 19, 2014

I haven't read the entire posting==too long. But, my GS school has changed it's grading system. Students are graded upon learning the information ONLY. My GS is thrilled. He never did his homework, and was exactly like the student in OP. He gets A and Bs on his tests. So, his grades have sky rocketed with the new grading system. It was my understanding that this grading system was to become SOP.

2. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jan 19, 2014

I agree with this.

Sometimes, you just do stuff because you have to. No, maybe you don't like it, and sure, maybe you will just be a person who tells the "boss" to er... go fly a kite. But however you deal with that, there are going to be consequences. In this case, the consequence is getting a poor grade you knew you would get. In the "real world" it may be paying a fine because you didn't pay a bill on time, or not getting a promotion because you didn't give much effort to an "unnecessary" project. The fact is, there are lots of things we don't want to do in life. You don't have to do them, but you have to be okay with what happens because of your choices.

I don't know which grading policy is the right one, but I feel like if you choose one and say homework is worth a certain percentage, you have to stick with it, otherwise it's showing kids that rules don't apply to them.

3. SallyN

SallyN Rookie

Jan 20, 2014

Is he upset of getting C? I don't think so. Maybe this case illustrates the disadvantages of our system of education. But as for a student I don't see any sense in doing homework for him if he clearly understands the material.

4. JaimeMarie

JaimeMarie Moderator

Jan 20, 2014

I have always hated homework. And use to only assign work in class, and if they didn't finish they would need to do it at home. I thought the point of assignments was to reinforce the skills taught.

5. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 20, 2014

That's fine. Then tell students upfront that homework is optional OR that it is optional if they maintain a certain test average or something like that. However, you can't make a homework a percentage of a grade and then decide later that it doesn't apply to specific students.

6. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

Exactly.

7. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

He should get what he earned. If he wants to get a better grade, he should start doing homework.

1. I don't remember seeing what grade you teach (I skimmed though the posts) but in any grade, we're trying to teach the kids responsibility and work habits. In any type of class (high school, or college) he will have homework, so he might as well get used to the fact that it's not optional. In most cases the homework is important in learning the material, and he might not be so lucky with another class he chooses not to do homework. (he might think he knows it, but he doesn't, no homework, does bad on the test, fail)

2. I almost failed grammar in high school. I was so good at it, it came naturally for me, by that time I was learning a 4th language, so my native language grammar was of course pretty much perfect. I don't know if I didn't do homework, or was goofing off in class, but I fail the one semester. (luckily for us it's one whole year, not a semester, so I was ok) My mom was shocked, but we never thought it was unfair. I didn't do what I was supposed to do.
    If you make an exception for him and bump up his grade, be prepared to make exception for other situations as well. For example a kid tries really hard, does all home homework, extra credit, classwork, but is not getting it, fails all tests and his average is an F. The parent might argue that since you make exceptions, you should give him a B for all the effort he's putting in.

3. If this is an issue that happens more than one, or you want to avoid it in the future, maybe you could redesign the points policy. Homework / classwork worth 40 %, tests... participation... (just an example)

I never bump up grades. I have a lot of students n the verge of a higher grade, 79%, 59%, etc. All I do is emphasize the 1% difference and offer extra credit. Last semester I did this 2 weeks straight, and almost everyone took advantage of it. They knew I'm not changing the grade, since I DON'T GIVE THEM THE GRADE, THEY EARN IT, AND ALL I DO IS RECORD IT.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2014

I don't think it's respectful to require a student to complete homework he or she doesn't need in order to master the content. I'm thinking of my years in high school working a late job on weeknights and those students with various other obligations. Such a waste.

I love the system we switched to where only summative assessments were entered into the gradebook.

9. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2014

Not all classes require homework. Even if all classes did, though, I don't think that's reason to continue requiring it if it's not truly necessary. Things change. If a teacher realizes students can do without homework in her class, I don't think it's wise to decide that she'll assign it anyway because, well, other classes do or she has all years prior or whatever the case may be.

10. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

That's how I feel, but I teach elementary. I don't grade homework. A student's grade is based on his or her understanding of the content.

11. Math

Math Cohort

Jan 20, 2014

I just have a question though? When a school district has a system setup such as:

Tests = 70%
    Classwork = 20%
    Homework = 10%

Would a teacher really be allowed to not include something like homework or classwork? I thought that you must give some type of homework then. I know in some classes sometimes homework is given but it is optional for us to do. However, it also does not count if we complete it.

12. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jan 20, 2014

I am saying, essentially, I disagree with a district setting a requirement like that. I've never worked at a school that set such requirements.

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 20, 2014

I haven't either. That would totally widen the achievement gap. We have issues with parents fussing when tests are 50% of the grade.

14. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jan 20, 2014

I guess I just really don't get the big deal of students being required to do a little homework. I have a bunch of adolescents in my extended family. They all have plenty of time to veg out and play xbox, hang out with their friends, and hold p/t jobs. When I was their age, I did too. My 6th grade son has so much leisure time it's ridiculous. Now that it's generally too cold to hang out outside for very long, he literally doesn't know what to do with himself.

If the homework isn't challenging, by all means, differentiate. But I cannot manage to see the problem with requiring students to do some academics beyond the few hours they spend in school.

15. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jan 20, 2014

I try to assign minimal homework because I know how busy many of my students are. I also know homework doesn't always get done the way I want. They copy. They read sparknotes. They skim. Ultimately it's on them. But my life is a lot better now that my grades truly reflect what they know and not just who did the homework. If they don't read, it's reflected on the quiz and/or discussion. There's no need to make them do questions too.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.