students who can't handle a moment of free time

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by WaterfallLady, May 15, 2011.

1. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 15, 2011

My middle school science class is a mess, and now that its the end of the year, it's getting worse. Half of them can't handle a moment of free time without getting themselves in trouble or hurting one another accidently. I can't give them more work because they struggle to complete the small amount of work I give them. I don't have an aide and there are 12 of them. I can't have them play games because it will distract the other students. HELP!

3. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

May 15, 2011

Can they play on the computer? or look at/read a book?

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 16, 2011

It sounds as though you always need to have one or two "next" assignments clearly communicated.

5. Zelda~*

Zelda~* Devotee

May 16, 2011

I have two things for my students to go to when they finish early. I have a tray full of worksheets they can choose from. I also have a Sponge Box filled with flash cards, a few books, coloring sheets, puzzles, etc. The kids know that if they finish they read a book, do green box, or choose something out of sponge box.

Good luck! :)

6. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

May 16, 2011

The problem is it's not my room so I can't have a bunch of stuff for them to do. I can't keep adding assignments because some kids would never catch up. I only have two of the computers and one is occupied by a student doing Edmark.

7. ami6880

ami6880 Companion

May 16, 2011

Oh this sounds like my room right now they are so squirley and I am pulling my hair out! We are working quite a few projects, but it seems like some are still really having trouble focusing.

8. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

May 16, 2011

A lot of my students can't handle free time either, so they don't get any. I clearly outline what they need to do first, second and third. I run a very structured room - everyone always has a job. There is very little opportunity for down time because they simply can't handle it.

9. d12brown

d12brown Rookie

May 16, 2011

My kids love puzzles. We almost always have a big (500 piece plus) puzzle going. You could but one of those mats that you roll a puzzle in to keep it out of the way when not in use and it could become a class project.

I do give my kids free time. It definitely keeps them motivated to finish thier work. One unruly day I just stood at the front of the class waiting for them to settle down. Then I started writing the time that had passed on the board. After almost 15 minutes one student clued in that something was drastically wrong. She finally asked, What are those number on the board? When I responded the amount of free time you have lost so far today and will spend cleaning my room this Friday (Fridays are normall FUNdamental Fridays), there was immediate silence. We got through the rest of the day, but it wasn't until I repeated the act (only getting to 2 on the board) the next day that they fully understood I meant business. That Friday they spent the first 17 minutes of class wiping down surfaces, sweeping floors and lysoling doors and door handles. I have not have a problem since. In addition they are allotted free time daily when they complete thier work (with a 90 or better). They seem to accomplish more with the reward in sight.