students who can't get along

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by J. A., Nov 10, 2017.

1. J. A.

J. A. Rookie

Nov 10, 2017

I teach 7th grade English. For the most part, I love it. However, in one class, I have a student who can not (or can, but will not, maybe) get along with anybody I put her near. She'll do things such as nudging their seat, poking them, laughing loudly in their ear, etc. More often, however, she tends to instigate drama over silly things. We'll call her student A. I recently told student B to get on task, and student A calls across the room, "Yeah, Student B!". Later in the week, Student A was talking out of turn while Student C was reading out loud. Student C said, "shh" and resumed reading. In my class, talking out of turn while a peer is reading out loud is an automatic lunch detention.

Student A then comes up to me and says, "Why didn't you give student C detention for shushing me? She's your favorite, isn't she?" just loudly enough for the class to hear. Anyway, no matter who I put this student near, she ends up interrupting them, getting into arguments, or tattling on them for things they either didn't do, or things she does daily. She supposedly does not have ADD/ADHD. I need to find a way to manage this because it completely changes the dynamic of the class.

3. rpan

rpan Cohort

Nov 10, 2017

To me it sounds like student A is quite socially awkward and does not know how to interact with her peers in an appropriate manner. Therefore she tries to get attention from them by going about it in a wrong way. I could be wrong but this is what I feel.
    Does this student have a friend group outside of this class? What do her parents say?