Students Who Can't Focus

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CiniMini, Dec 2, 2009.

1. CiniMini

CiniMini Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

In my 1st grade intensive reading group, three (out of four) kids can not/will not focus.

C. is a little girl in Special Ed who is constantly playing with her hair, turned around watching everyone else, feet in the seat, won't follow along, etc, etc. She has trouble but does pretty well when she tries.

T. is a little boy who repeated kindergarten so this is his third year in school. He still only knows about 50% of the alphabet. He has great comprehension skills but he's so busy worrying about everyone else that he won't keep up.

D. is a little boy who has an attitude problem. When he comes to my table, he doesn't want to sit where I ask him to and when I finally get him to sit there, he hangs about half his rear off the chair or slides two feet back from the table. Then when I finally have enough and get on to him good, he pouts, puts his head down and covers his ears to pretend he can't hear me. When I finally coax him into sitting up, he won't keep up, migrates his chair away from the table, etc. Then the cycle starts over.

Have you had these type of children? What did you do for them? Help! I can feel my blood pressure rising when it's time for them to come to my table!!

3. cathyteaches

cathyteaches Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

Well...it's first grade you know :thumb:

If you don't get many responses on this I'll try to help out as best as I can, but I'm in a rush to get back to class (my students) soon! :dizzy:

4. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Dec 2, 2009

You have your hands full. I don't really have any suggestions except have you talked with their parents?

5. bros

bros Phenom

Dec 2, 2009

For the fidgety one, give her something to occupy her hands

For the one who is concerned for everyone, have everyone say how they are doing.

For the moving one, let him stand up while he does his work.

6. Katieladybug

Katieladybug Companion

Dec 2, 2009

For the little boy who does not want to sit where you ask him, can he have a choice as to where he sits?

What do the parents have to say?

7. bethechange

bethechange Comrade

Dec 2, 2009

Can you make some visual group rules? Really simple, like sit in seat, quiet when teacher is talking, worry about yourself, not your friends, etc? Then review them at the beginning of every group, leave them out, and have them available on the table to prompt kids?

I have also done incentive strips with the group rules - like a tagboard strip with Velcro and 4 icons on it. Every time they break one of the rules, remove an icon. At the end of group, they can have a sticker or skittle or something for each icon they have left. OR, you can do it the other way and give them tokens or icons for positive behavior/following the rules.

8. word girl

word girl Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

Hate to say this, but maybe these kids need to see you one-to-one for reading? I have had to do this in the past. I know that is a huge time commitment, but maybe the time for each of them will be more productive.

As an aside, at my school we've just been informed that we must do two guided reading groups a day for the students performing under grade level. Talk about pressure!