Students who ask"What do I do now?"

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by NanaofThree, Aug 4, 2008.

1. NanaofThree

NanaofThree New Member

Aug 4, 2008

I had 2nd graders last year who would finish their work and then ask "what can I do now?" If you have ever had this happen before what do you do? Do you have packets for them? I would like it to be something they can do independently but will also be a bit of a challenge. Any suggestions?

3. Lareigna

Lareigna Companion

Aug 4, 2008

This year I am going to make a file box of done activities. My box is going to contain reinforcement activities on what ever we were working on in class.

4. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Aug 4, 2008

I teach 3 year olds and man ...... I hear this every year from at least one. I think in my situation though they ask for reassurance even though when I say " i dont know jim, what do you do?".. they know the answer!

5. Matt633

Matt633 Comrade

Aug 4, 2008

Nana---before I would always say, "read or get a center (pre-made folder games) but this year we are starting a "Mastery Club" like Mrs. Renz/Jem/Ms.Jas we are doing a different set of questions that they can look up the answers to using the atlas, dictionary, online, other resource books. Good Luck!

6. RainStorm

RainStorm Aficionado

Aug 4, 2008

I think it depends on why they are finished. If it is too soon, I want to look at their work first. Often, I find they have rushed and answered every question incorrectly, or they have skipped huge parts. Or instead of complete sentences, they have answered everything with one word, or just repeated what the question says as the answer.

Last year, at the beginning of the year, I had a couple of students who came from one particular teacher's class who always rushed through to "do centers" (which in their class had really been more of playing games and talking.) I had a lot of bad habits to break before I'd let them have workstations or centers.

What I try to never give them is "worksheets" -- because that seems like it is just busy work. I like more hands-on things, like learning games and discovery and exploration boxes.

7. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Aug 5, 2008

Any time I hear this I say, "Go read a book!"

My kids really grow to love reading because they have time to read.

Kelly :)

8. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Aug 5, 2008

I say read, write or draw. Usually they pick draw. I might just say read or write most of the time.

I do have a selection of "top shelf" games which are solitaire/logic games for math time. If they finish during math, they can play one of those games by themselves.

9. ImKTBQ

ImKTBQ New Member

Aug 6, 2008

I have an idea for this problem because I encountered this a lot as a substitute teacher. My kids would all finish the sub plans because it was usually some basic review that was too easy for the time allotted.

What I plan to do is create as "Sponge Folder." Just take a yellow brad and pocket folder and each week add activities to the folder that correlate and back up the lessons we're covering during the week. You know how sometimes you see the cut and paste activity that would be fun but you can't really justify the time for it. I want to put all those activities into one folder and let the kids have that as their "I'm Done" activity. It'll have math, social studies/science (probably alternate to whichever subject we're doing that week--a SS worksheet if we're doing science that week-- maybe), A spelling activity and a ELA/Reading activity. All curriculum based and reinforcement. This year I'll have a higher level class and these folders will give me a chance to see what I need to do to make sure we have too much free time.

I hope this helps:D

10. annafish

annafish Companion

Aug 7, 2008

reading, file folder games, writing in journals, reading journals...I don't allow computers because I think too many would rush. I like the "sponge folder" idea. A lot of times I have a folder or area with extra crafts that I wish we had time for. This allows students to get a chance to them.

I have a huge classroom library and students really enjoy reading when they are done!

11. missk83

missk83 Companion

Aug 7, 2008

I made a Poster titled "When I'm Done". It has about 10 choices for the student to pick from when they are done with whatever we are doing in class. (Read a book, write a nice letter to a parent or teacher, do an Anchor Activity etc.) I plan on hanging it on the board and drawing smiley faces next the ones they can pick from that day (so they aren't always drawing a picture or writing Mom a nice note) Some days they will be able to pick from any, some days only 2 or 3.
    I haven't done this yet, considering this will be my first year teaching, but I am pretty confident it will work well, and I won't be pestered all the time with the same question. Especially if I use it from the begining of the year!

12. MrsWbee

MrsWbee Companion

Aug 7, 2008

missk: I like the idea of your poster. How will the students know which activities they are allowed to choose from each day?

In my class, we use what we call a "Safe Folder" that is similar to the Sponge Folder idea. We give the students extra activities that are educational and reinforce what they are learning at the time, but that we may or may not get to. When they are done, they just pick an activity out of there and get to work. Sometimes we include wordsearches, cut & paste, and puzzles-- everything is able to be done individually and silently.

13. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 9, 2008

Just a Suggestion...

Each year, I implement a "Must Do" and "May Do" system.

Must Do: Each morning, I complete a list of "Must Do" assignments/tasks/projects. They may include practice book pages, reading assignments, journal writing, etc.

May Do: After (and ONLY AFTER) successfully completing all "Must Do" assignments, students may work on "May Do" tasks. "May Do" items may include: listening center, buddy reading, computer time, a weekly challenge activity, earning a pass to visit the school library, etc.

With the use of a "Must Do/May Do" system, students NEVER have to ask: "What do I do next?" They know exactly which assignments must be completed each day, but most importantly, they have many options to choose from once they finish up their daily work.

Anyway, it's just a thought... ;)

14. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I also make a "When I'm Done" poster and, one of the options is to take an "I'm Done!" folder. This contains logic puzzles, word-finds, extra spelling practice, etc. Other options on the poster are; read a book, write a new ending / another chapter for the story, illustrate a scene for the class story, write your own word problems, do a sudoku puzzle, etc.

15. mrs a

mrs a Companion

Aug 10, 2008

I do the same thing. My list is laminated and posted in the front of the room. Work has to be satisfactory before consulting the list.

Mrs. A
    What do we do when
    we’re done?”
    1. Check your work for errors
    Can you make it better?
    2. Read your library book.
    3. AR test.
    4. Get a book from the reading center.
    5. Write in your journal.
    6. Tidy up your desk.
    7. Tidy up the classroom.
    8. Catch up on homework.
    9. Study for a test.
    10. Take a nap.
    11. Help someone else.
    12. Check out a new book in the library.
    13. Write a letter to a friend.

16. sunshinehoney14

sunshinehoney14 New Member

Aug 10, 2008

What to do with early finishers.

Last year I prepared learning packets for my early finishers. I compiled folders that held Math sheets, language arts, reading selections with questions, art sheets, cross word puzzles, word searches, social studies and science brainteasers. I included instructions for each section. This proved to be a Godsend with my early finishers. This not only kept them working and acheiving but kept the other students from being disturbed. Hope this works as well for you.