Students trade and correct papers; comments.

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by heavens54, Sep 1, 2014.

1. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2014

I have done it many times, without a problem. It is quick. Spelling test, trade and grade, I pick up. Takes five minutes. LA reading? I've done this also. As well as math. I instruct them to NOT look at who's paper it is, but just put an X if an answer is missed.

Thoughts. Is this a bad practice? Thanks.

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

I think it is a bad practice. It can be embarrassing and humiliating for kids who do poorly. They do look at the name on the paper they have. Not to mention FERPA.

4. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

Do you feel the same way if they put a number instead of a name at the top?

5. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 1, 2014

My HS students correct each other's work ALL the time. It is important for them to see that mistakes are part of the learning process, not something to be feel shame about, something to learn from.

It allows quiz scores to be seen as feedback as opposed to just a score that is given and nothing can be done about it.

Having said that, it is important to check with your administration to see how they feel - mine backs my view but I have heard of principals who feel very differently. The number idea sounds like a great way to get around the problem of name shame.

6. jojo808

jojo808 Comrade

Sep 1, 2014

I think it is more useful for a child to correct his/her own paper.

7. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2014

If they have a random number 4 digits or more, maybe...

If you number your kids alphabetically 1-25/30/whatever, they know each others' numbers.

8. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

We are not allowed to have students do this due to FERPA. Sometimes I will have my students self check something if I am just using it for a formative assessment.

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Sep 1, 2014

This was argued in the Supreme Court a few years back. Teacher and school lost, parents won...violated student's right.

10. creativemonster

creativemonster Comrade

Sep 1, 2014

Ummm....if you mean the 2002 case - courts said that ok to peer grade ....has there been anything that reversed this that my district hasn't informed me about? Real question. My district is VERY law aware - they seem to care almost more for law than education at times. But when I google it only the 2002 law comes out. -saying that peer grading NOT covered by FERPA. Not to say if it's right or wrong - just that it's not part of that particular ruling.

11. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Sep 1, 2014

The answer is...it depends. If you could see inside your students' heads, you'd know if it bothered them or not. Since you can't, this is what I suggest. Give each child an index card or 1/2 sheet of paper. Have them put down on a scale of 1 to 5 how they feel about having another student grade their paper instead of you doing it and handing it back a day or two later. 5=love it, 4=like it, 3=I don't care, 2=don't like it, 1=I really hate this idea. Tell them not to put their names on their index card, and encourage them to put a comment if they feel strongly one way or not about it. If there are no 1's and very few 2's, I would use it. If there is even one person who puts a 1, in respect to that student, I would not have them grade each other's papers.

In 3 minutes, you will have your answer.:)

12. heavens54

heavens54 Connoisseur

Sep 1, 2014

13. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Sep 1, 2014

I'm not sure I understand the learning objective of having students grade each others papers. What is it you hope to accomplish by doing this?

Honestly, I could never do this. My students are usually very self-conscious and would be very uncomfortable with other students knowing their grades if they don't do well. Plus, I wouldn't trust kids to grade for me - even if I taught gen ed.

14. Mr. Nobody

Mr. Nobody Rookie

Sep 5, 2014

I have known students to intentionally mark someone else's paper wrong. As a student, if I had scored poorly on an assignment, i would be embarrassed for my peers to know. As a parent, I would not like that practice for those reasons. I understand that it saves time but I don't do it.

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Sep 5, 2014

I agree with others who have suggested having students grade their own papers. It seems much more beneficial to students to do it this way, so that they can receive immediate feedback on their own work and have an opportunity to ask questions on the spot about things that they don't understand.

How is grading someone else's paper better than grading your own? What's the benefit?

16. missrebecca

missrebecca Comrade

Sep 5, 2014

I think the trading papers idea is intended to prevent students from changing their own answers. This can mostly be solved by having students put their lead pencils away and grade only in pen or colored pencil.

I don't really trust students to grade ANY work, to be honest. There's a lot of room for error, intentional or otherwise, and the teacher should look it over anyway. But I do think grading your own paper immediately after a minor assessment, like a daily math timed test or morning work, can be useful. Fast feedback.

17. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Sep 5, 2014

We did it in high school on like homework..never a quiz or test...

I know when I had my first graders correct their own we would put SC on the top & I had them use their highlighter I gave to each child at beginning of the year.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Sep 5, 2014

I remember in one class in high school we were required to answer questions on quizzes in blue/black pen and switched papers to correct them with highlighters or red pens. I think it was an English class. The teacher used quizzes and homework to review for upcoming tests so going over the answers in class while grading seemed efficient. I don't remember being bothered by people seeing my grades but I was older at the time and not sure if I would like that in a younger grade.

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 5, 2014

I only have students correct their own papers when we are going over homework. We don't take grades on homework.

I would feel rather uncomfortable recording a grade in my legal document (grade book) on an assignment I allowed an eight year old to grade.

20. pinkrobots27

pinkrobots27 Rookie

Sep 5, 2014

I don't think it's a good idea in elementary. I remember a teacher who always did this in 3rd grade and I was humiliated. Kids would often poke fun at people who lost a lot of points. I try to teach my kids their grades are between them, me and their parents.

I let my 4th grade students grade their own spelling/vocab and they enjoy it! I tell them they are on the honor system. After taking the quiz, they all clear their desk with the exception of a red pen. Then we check. They don't put a grade just mark the ones wrong. Then I quickly review it and put it in my grade book. I've had one instance where a student changed his answers afterward but it was very obvious.

21. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Sep 5, 2014

I let students grade quizzes for me sometimes, but it's always an upperclassman who's doing Aide work for me. Since I teach freshmen, they rarely know and really don't care who the kids are. Grade 90 multiple choice quizzes and I'm betting they couldn't remember who got what if they tried anyway. :p

I don't let current students grade though and try not to show their grades to others.

22. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Sep 5, 2014

I let the students grade their own paper when it is independent practice of a new concept to reinforce skill. I grade quizzes, tests and other assignments going into the gradebook. In general I disagree with this practice, mainly because I wouldn't appreciate it if I was a student. In fact, I don't even let a student pass out graded papers unless EVERYONE did very well on it. I will still usually pass those out too.

23. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Sep 6, 2014

Just to clarify, students grading each other's papers does NOT violate FERPA.

Having said that, I do not feel comfortable with students checking each other's work. It's my job to assess their progress and performance, not the kids. Now, I have no problem with peer editing, and I think that's an important part of the process of learning, but if I'm putting a grade on it (beyond a completion grade), I feel like I need to do it.

24. hatima

hatima Devotee

Sep 6, 2014

I did this as a student from elementary to high school. Kids af all ages can use the correcting to pick on eachother.

In my student teaching practicum and yearly training on privacy this practice does violate privacy and I would not do the peer grading.

I do feel writing workshops for the editing process are okay and not violating privacy.