student's toys

Discussion in 'General Education' started by 1st-yr-teacher, Jun 19, 2008.

1. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

I took up several toys this year. All of the toys are inexpensive items such as small toy cars and a few wrestlers. I apperently put them in my filing cabinet and never gave them back:(:unsure:.

What do I do with them? I know who the wrestlers belong too but as for the cars and sock cap, I am not so sure.

3. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

I wouldn't worry about it. If they really wanted them back they would have reminded you. I know my students would have reminded me.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Jun 19, 2008

I've done the same thing, and agree with cMcD that if they wanted them back, they would have come to ask about them. I normally just gave them to nephews/nieces in the family or put them in my treasure box for the next school year.

5. kem

kem Companion

Jun 19, 2008

I do the same thing-my kids actually know that Pokemon cards go to my nieces and nephews : ) Toys go in my prize box-I'm looping next year, so maybe they'll get their own toy back!!

6. educator

educator Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

Why do you keep the children's toys?

I have occasionally taken a toy away if a child was using the toy in a disruptive or inappropriate manner, but I usually send the toy home with a note to the parent as to why I had to take it away to begin with.

I reprimand the improper behavior, but I don't keep the toy (even if it's a McDonald's happy meal toy).

The only other reason I would take a "toy" would be if I thought the parent didn't know that Jack or Jill had slipped out with their IPOD or PDA.

We have a school rule that the kids cannot bring toy guns, but that is enforced by the principal as part of a zero tolerance thing. (I disagree with that concept, but that's a discussion for a whole new thread.)

I require the student to bring the note back to me with a guardian's signature so that I know the responsible adult is aware of the improper behavior.

7. smalltowngal

Jun 19, 2008

I usually gave the toys back at the end of the day; however, there were some students that continued to do so. When that happened, I took it up for good, called the parent to let them know that I would be keeping it til the end of the year. And they could pick it up after the end of year party. I had one parent come up to get the toy.

8. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

it was not intentional to take them and keep them all year. My policy is that no toys are allowed at school. One particular boy kept on bringing them and keeping them in his pockets(yet he would pull them out to show his friends and that would start a ruckus) so I took them up(after I had mentioned this to mom). My usual place is out of sight in the top filing drawer. I guess next year, I should put them up where I see them and send them home at the end of the day.

9. teacherpippi

teacherpippi Habitué

Jun 19, 2008

If I have to take things away, I ask that the kids write a letter (younger kids could write a picture w/ dictation) to mom or dad telling what I took away and why.

When the letter comes back signed, I send the toy home.

10. shasha379

shasha379 Devotee

Jun 19, 2008

I take up toys as well. I normally give them back at the end of the day, but with repeat offenders I keep until the end of year unless a parent comes to get it.

11. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

I had a friend that kept a "June Box" and toys went in there until the end of the school year. Cute idea.

Kelly :)

12. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2008

Technically, you should not keep them. That would be theft (or actually conversion, technically, since you took them without intent to keep). You shouldn't generally say you're going to keep them. However, you can certainly confiscate (according to policy, legality, or disruption) and set terms on returning the items.

Potentially illegal items such as unknown drugs or weapons should be turned over to the police.

13. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

I hope I don't have to confiscate illegal drugs and/or weapons from my students!

14. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2008

I still have maybe 3 or 4 shock pens and one shock gum. I tried it once and those things kind of hurt. I told them that a parent must claim them, but no one ever came in. They will not be going into the treasure chest.

15. queenie

queenie Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

I didn't allow toys, either, but sometimes kids hung on to toys from the prize box instead of putting them in their mailboxes. When I saw a kid with a prize box toy, I had him/her put it in their mailbox to take home. End of story. Never had much of a problem with them. I did send a note home if a student brought a toy from home, and the note had to be returned, signed. Once or twice, I took items up but I always just put them in the student's mailbox right away and they took them home at the end of the day.

16. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

Most of the things I take do not get returned until the last day of school. Students know that early on, and I always empty the box on the last day of school to return items to their owner. I had just a few things go unclaimed this year. If it was real junk, I tossed it, but a few other items I put into next year's prize box.

17. smalltowngal

Jun 19, 2008

I didn't purposely set out to steal the toys nor plan on keeping them after the school year. And I think I would get laughed right out of the police station if I tried to turn them over to the cops.

18. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

My students always stole pens from me...so I stole their Ipods and sold them on ebay to get cash for the amount of pens those brats drained me of...

19. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

I agree STG. I don't mean to keep them. I forget. There are 1,000 other things that are going on.

I'm not going to stress over giving Timmy his red bouncy ball back that cost his parents a whole $.25. I don't consider that theft. Plenty of my students have taken my classroom library books and didn't return them. Perhaps I should go after them...

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

You should cmcd...you should...

21. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 19, 2008

I'm having a hard time figuring out if you're serious or not... either way, hilarious! I almost had an iPod last year. The dad came and got it on the last day of school.

22. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Jun 19, 2008

Aww, shucks! Maybe next year... :haha:

23. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Jun 19, 2008

:rofl:

24. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Jun 19, 2008

When I have to take a toy, it goes in my desk and becomes the responsibility of the student to get it back by bringing in their parent to claim the item. If you don't bring in your parent, you can have it back on the last day of school.

25. teachertexas

teachertexas Rookie

Jun 19, 2008

More expensive toys I usually give back at the end of the day. Smaller toys like bouncy balls, etc go into "Toy Jail". Toys cannot be released from jail until the end of the year.

This year I opened up toy jail and then asked kids to "describe" the toy that was in jail. Surprise, surprise! Most kids had no idea what toy they had lost! In the end I held up each toy and asked for someone to claim it. I had one thing left at the end that no one claimed.

26. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2008

"hehehehehe"...I wish I had a picture of tattletale/snitch/teacher's pet Randall from the cartoon RECESS that I could post here. I think it would be so appropriate for my snickering.

27. 1st-yr-teacher

1st-yr-teacher Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

This is exactly what happened with me. These are toy cars and a couple of minature wrestlers. So I don't know. I am not going to worry about it anymore. I have bigger things in life to focus on.

28. MrsPatten

MrsPatten Comrade

Jun 19, 2008

The first time I see it, the toy goes in their backpacks. Backpacks are put away and they aren't allowed to get things out except in the morning or when we're packing up. If I see it again on another day, I take it for the day and they get a note. The next step would be for a parent to come get it but I've never had to go beyond step two.