Students touching you

Discussion in 'Special Education' started by santos, Mar 15, 2012.

1. santos

santos Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

Special Education teacher needs a lot of patience. But I was thinking what if the time will come that my student will test my patience in a way that they are very touchy. what is the best thing that I can do and how can I tell my students not to do that?

3. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2012

How do you feel you should react?

4. santos

santos Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

Of course I might be shocked but I know I must keep myself composed and explain to my student why I reacted that way. any suggestions?

5. santos

santos Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

swansong1 If that kind of situation happened what will you do? what are the best way on how you will tell your students not to do that?

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Mar 15, 2012

I had a problem with students hugging me when I subbed in a self-contained classroom. The aides suggested gently putting out my hand in refusal but then offering a fist-bump or high-five. It seemed to work.

7. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Mar 15, 2012

I agree with Catnfiddle. Sometimes you can redirect them with a high five, but sometimes you just need to realize it comes with the job. Yes, you can work in the long term to teach kids not to be so touchy, but it takes a long time.

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Mar 15, 2012

You might also try a side hug for those persistent huggers. If a child is touching you inappropriately (not just wanting a friendly, comforting hug), you will have to stop their hand and explain why they can't touch you that way. In my experience, those type of children are not intentionally trying to be inappropriate, they just don't understand.

9. santos

santos Rookie

Mar 15, 2012

catnfiddle watrefalllady and swansong thank you for your suggestions I must try giving them a high five and I'll keep in mind that they do not intentionally do those things because they just don't understand.

10. armada

armada New Member

Mar 18, 2012

I personally tell the students that I don't feel comfortable with people in my personal space which is the space between my body and outreached arm. I just make it seem like it is just a personal think with me, but I'll give them a high five or something but not much on hugs. I know that some kids just need that attention because they don't get it at home but I just build a relationship with them without having to hug them. Good luck!

11. EmptyClassroom

EmptyClassroom Rookie

Mar 19, 2012

I explain my "bubble" philosophy, including both that it includes as far as my arm reaches, and that no one should ever invade someone's bubble. I also tell them I have 'space issues' (they love it that I have issues, too, but maybe that's because so many of my high school kids have emotional issues too). Then, by the end of the day, I make it a point to make a comment or demonstrate not 'invading his/her bubble' so they see it in action. After that, I just don't communicate until they're out of my bubble. Then again, this may work b/c they're high schoolers. Not sure about younger students.