Students threatening teachers

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MissAbbeyMarie, Jul 1, 2012.

1. MissAbbeyMarie

MissAbbeyMarie Rookie

Jul 1, 2012

A friend of mine who teaches high school English has been having some trouble lately. A particular student in one of her classes is a star football player and has begun to fail her class recently. As the responsible teacher she is, she sat him down and discussed his options with him last week (make-up work, extra credit, etc.).
    Now this young man has gathered the gumption to walk into her classroom and physically threaten her if he does not pass. We want to know, what can she do about it?
    There is obviously the option of talking to the administration, which she has done, but they want her to just be careful about what she says to him becuase most students just say things like that when they are angry. They want her to report if he says anything again.
    I am afraid that this kid will actually do something. He's a huge football player and she is a petite woman in her forties. If he does assalt her, can she physically defend herself? How will this look in the future for her to other administration?

3. jwteacher

jwteacher Cohort

Jul 1, 2012

So if I'm understanding correctly, administration is blaming her for being threatened with physical violence and is going to do nothing about it?

Have her talk to a union rep immediately.

4. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jul 1, 2012

Union rep, if there is one, is a must. Also, talk with the coach. My hope is that the coach will realize that this student is setting a terrible example for his teammates.

5. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jul 1, 2012

I'd never allow that student to be in my classroom outside of scheduled classtime unless a trusted colleague was with us. He'd have to make up anything with an administrator.

I hope she has contacted his parents and wrote a formal referral as well!

6. jlj

jlj Devotee

Jul 1, 2012

I agree with everyone else and in this day and age take a step further and report to police. Threats can not be taken lightly!

7. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jul 1, 2012

I would contact my union rep, file an official report with the school (so it is in writing), contact the coach (again, in writing), and if I was still concerned I'd contact the police. A high school student should know better.

Edited to add: She should document EVERYTHING. Dates and times of conversations, etc.

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2012

She should do everything that has been suggested here. Document everything, talk to the coach, and the police. He is in high school so the school will be sending him out into the world in a few months or years. The administration should be setting an example that threats will not be tolerated while he is still young enough to learn from his mistakes.

I teach 6th grade and if a student were to phisically threaten me he would be gone.

9. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jul 1, 2012

Absolutely contact the union; document, document, document everything; report the incident(s) in writing to administration, coach, and parents and state at the bottom of the correspondence cc: file to show that you are keeping a copy of all correspondence. Keep your tone calm and professional, but firm because this kind of behavior is unacceptable by any student of any age!

10. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 1, 2012

I'd call the police. He is old enough to know what he is doing

This must be summer school. it should be easier to kick a kid out of summer school.

11. DigitalDiva25

DigitalDiva25 Companion

Jul 2, 2012

If she calls the police, wouldn't that put her job on the line? The administration is not going to like that...but hey if you have to choose between your job and your life...

12. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 2, 2012

:thumb:

13. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 2, 2012

If I was being threatened like that as a private citizen at the grocery store, I wouldn't hesitate to call. Why should personal safety stop being a right when I walk into a school building?