Students that show up with no pencil...

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by kyblue07, Aug 9, 2007.

1. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Aug 9, 2007

This is a major problem in my school. It's never been dealt with appropriately and I have yet to find a solution that doesn't send parents into a fit. I go through at least 25 pencils a week sometimes. We are told, because some students don't have responsible parents that get supplies or can't afford them, that we can't or shouldn't give demerits for this (so many demerits = detention). We're pretty much expected to just give them a pencil and be done with it. This absolutely drives me crazy. I don't want to be given one of their shoes or clothes for borrowing one either. My latest idea was to make whoever came without a pencil one to use and then make them the last to leave or tape a big flower to the end of my pencils so they are always turned in.

Is this a problem for anyone else? If so, how do you deal with it? Or am I just maing a big deal out of something small? :confused:

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 9, 2007

When a student forgets a pencil, I generally tell him or her to ask a friend for one. That almost always solves the problem for that day.

In the event that it doesn't, I will let a student borrow one of mine if a) he or she promises to return it after class (and does), and b) the student isn't a habitual offender with regards to forgetting a pencil. Sometimes I take some form of collateral, such as a textbook for their next class or their backpack.

For those habitual offenders, I offer to sell a pencil to the them for 10 cents.

4. trulyblssd

trulyblssd Companion

Aug 9, 2007

Make them write with the biggest pencil you can find. I think it's funny, but maybe a little to humiliating. Kind of like the dunce hat. I don't know. My teenagers might like the pencil with the flower on it.

5. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

All my pencils have green duct tape on the top of them. Those are what I hand out when the kids forget. Its very easy to tell who has my pencils then and kids generally do not want to keep a flagged pencil.

6. Brendan

Brendan Fanatic

Aug 9, 2007

But this year I have soo many pencils, I made at least 10 trips to Staples the week they had the pack of 8 pencils for a cent.

7. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Aug 9, 2007

I go just the opposite of trulyblssd; I got a whole bunch of those tiny little golf pencils with no eraser. They hate those. Tee hee! For just 3.95 you can order 144 misprinted ones from For Teacher's Only. They ROCK!

8. wldywall

wldywall Connoisseur

Aug 10, 2007

My daughters teacher gave out a monthly pencil, if they say they lost it, out come the golf pencils. My sons teacher has a great idea for those, you can borrow a golf pencil whenver you want, however and eraser, not gonna happen. He tells them to not make mistakes! It solves the problem.

Last year I sold pencils, well, I ended up spending 15 mins of class time nearly every day just dealing with pencils. I will give students one at the start of the year, and have some to give out every 9 weeks, but I plan on having golf pencils to give out. I have erasers for those, but then I will want a shoe or something. I work in an innercity school so I often take a students "bling" they NEVER leave without that!

9. patti2

patti2 Cohort

Aug 10, 2007

Our secretary tapes huge daisys onto the eraser end! Hee hee

Can you collect something in return? The backpack or anything that the student could trade back at the end of class? I heard someone before say a SHOE!

10. Cyndi23

Cyndi23 Companion

Aug 10, 2007

I bought 3 gross of golf pencils off of ebay for $9 (that's about 450 pencils) about 3 years ago. I JUST got into my second box this year. They last forever and the kids hate to use them. They also always give them back because they hate them. Totally worth the investment for me!

11. hatima

hatima Devotee

Aug 12, 2007

I just thought I'd add this. I worked at an Albuquerque Walmart for the Crayola company during the back to school (tax free) weekend. The store ran completely out of notebook paper and pencils.

12. lupin43

lupin43 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

I have had kids write their names on the board in a pencil section. That was a visual reminder to return the pencil. It's wasn't a punishment and wasn't seen as one, but it helped me to keep track of pencils.

13. apple25

apple25 Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I collect all the pencils that are forgotten at the end of the day and put them into a class bucket. They can grab one out of the bucket if they don't have their own.

It is a problem that I never thought I'd have to deal with in middle school! I hope yor school supplies the pencils if you are expected to hand them out each time someone needs one!!

14. Hamster

Hamster Comrade

Aug 12, 2007

I'm in charge of our "School Store" . We sell them for 5 cents and a mechanical pencil for 25 cents. The store is only open at recess.

15. kyblue07

kyblue07 Companion

Aug 12, 2007

We have a $150 expense account each year. That's part of why it irks me so much. I am responsible for my own kids and making sure they have supplies to go with them each day of school. I shouldn't have to buy supplies for everyone else's kids. That and it's a lack of responsibility of the part of the student. I know...they are middle schoolers, but come on, what did they think they were going to do at school, write with their fingers?!

Thanks for all the suggestions! :thanks: I am definitely going to try some of them and see if it helps the situation.

16. IUSB_Megan

IUSB_Megan Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

I love the golf pencil idea - and yes, kids do hate them. They don't have erasers, so they hate them even more. Does the trick, and thy are cheap.

17. CarrieB

CarrieB Companion

Aug 12, 2007

Oklay, here is what I am going to try this year. I bough a pack of 12 of the kindergartedn (big size pencils). Those will be available to them to borrow for the hour. I can decide on collateral or writing name on board or what to do about knowing who borrowed a pencil. I am hoping that it will be easier for me to identify MY pencils and for the students to remember that they borrowed my pencil, since it is not a regular looking pencil. I honestly think some students forget that they borrowed a pencil and forget to return it. I also have regular pencils that they can buy for a nickle.

18. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 12, 2007

I have a bin they can borrow from (restocked from those that fall on the floor and get swept out into the hall each night). It's just a battle I choose not to fight every day.

19. koocat008

koocat008 Companion

Aug 13, 2007

What I do is tape a huge sunflower (fake, long stemmed ones, you can get at Dollar Bills) on every pen I have to share with my class. If you are a math teacher, or do not like them using pens, then just do it with those electonic (?) pencils that you need lead for.

I found that by the end of the day, kids don't want to steal them because they are highly embarrassing..and it is a deterrant from not bringing their writing utensils, so they don't have to use the "flower pens". Although, some of my tough boys think they are funny:p

20. teacherSMK

teacherSMK Habitué

Aug 13, 2007

Our school board (private, faith based) just voted in favor of allowing teachers to charge REAL money for school supplies that we have to supply for the students, to go back into the teacher fund account for school supplies, yippee! Maybe the students will remember pencils and paper this year. (Plus, the teacher decides the amount charged for the supply, so with repeat offenders, the charge can go up!) Yay, school board!~SK

21. hapyeaster

hapyeaster Rookie

Aug 13, 2007

I think I will do the golf pencil thing, and have a place on the board for their names. I had problems with it last year, and I just don't want that battle again. My kids are poor...but then again, they all have cell phones!! Go figure!