Students talking Spanish to each other

Discussion in 'ESL/ELL' started by vsimpkins, Mar 27, 2010.

1. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 27, 2010

How do some of you handle students in elementary school talking Spanish to each other and sometimes saying bad words?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Mar 28, 2010

Do you know enough Spanish to be able to translate, or are you guessing from their reaction?

If you know enough Spanish, I would warn them, in Spanish, to knock it off!

4. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Mar 28, 2010

They would experience the same consequences as any student saying bad words. K-6th grades huh?...Maybe they don't realize that inappropriate language is not allowed in any language. A lesson idea? Students often need to know exactly what it is you will and will not allow. I would have that discussion with them in a lesson format so that they understand the rules. Check for understanding. Then, if it continues, follow your school's discipline procedures for inappropriate behavior. Also, encourage English language use in school. Tell them it will help them in the long run if they get in the habit of "socializing" in English during school hours. Of course, also minimize the opportunity for socializing. If it's in the hallway, at lunchtime, or on the playground, teach them that this is still school time and that type of language is not allowed. Hopefully the lesson would also teach that children should never use this type of language anywhere and neither should adults. Character Education lessons are good to use. I'm sure you could find some online for use with your students. By teaching them that bad language is bad for all, they might come to understand that there is a better, more positive way to present themselves to others. They probably don't realize that this type of language is offensive and in turn, pushes others away.

5. vsimpkins

vsimpkins Comrade

Mar 28, 2010

Thanks for the help. I am always open for suggestions.

6. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Mar 28, 2010

Explain to them in English (and in Spanish) that you understand exactly what they are saying and give them a warning. Then talk about inappropriate language with the group with the group..most likely they are doing it because they think you don't understand.

7. jday129

jday129 Comrade

Mar 29, 2010

If you don't know Spanish and your students know that, make it clear that you can still tell when they are using bad words. (I can tell when my students are being mean and rude to each other in Somali, which I don't speak a word of).
    Allow Spanish to be used as a language of learning and socializing, but if students abuse the privilege they will have to be silent during work time.

8. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 1, 2010

Oh, I've had to do that when I've heard some Spanish vulgarities from time to time.