Students talking about you...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by CDOR79, Feb 28, 2019.

1. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Feb 28, 2019

I’m curious of how everyone would react to any of your students talking about you in front of you (looking at you, then each other, then you again, as they cover their hands to talk in secret and have a smirk on their face). I realize these girls aren’t fond of me so putting it all together, I know that’s what they were doing. They aren’t the kindest girls either.

I just have a gaze at one of them to send an indirect “I’m on to you” message. I’m not sure if I should do anything else if it should happen again.

I teach 5th grade. Nothing happened to warrant them to be badmouthing me, which if it did- I could understand! Lol. It was like they were LOOKING for it and did it for no reason.

3. Ms.Holyoke

Ms.Holyoke Connoisseur

Feb 28, 2019

I have a few girls who are rude (not as rude as this though...)

Have you called home?

4. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Feb 28, 2019

Exactly zero percent of my self worth comes from what 8th graders think of me, so it doesn’t bother me on a personal level. However, I call them out on rude behavior because if they do it to one person, they will do it to someone else.

I would make sure they know what it rude, and if it continued, I ’d give a warning, call home, and then continue on our discipline matrix.

Missy, christie, a2z and 1 other person like this.
  5. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Feb 28, 2019

It would really matter what is said. If it is blatantly rude or cruel, I'd put an end to that pretty quickly. If they are being more subtle and just trying to get a rise from you, I wouldn't take the bait. I'd think about it and be more careful with my words than they were.

6. CDOR79

CDOR79 Comrade

Feb 28, 2019

I haven’t called home for a few reasons...

One of these girls has already gone home and told her mother that all I do is “yell” at her when that’s FAR from the truth. To her,
    correcting (and that’s WHEN I even do) apparently equates to “yelling”. Her mother found it enough to email me about this “concern”, saying the girl is scared of me- almost insinuating that she’s uncomfortable in my class. RIGHT- she’s so scared, she’s talking sh** in front of my FACE!!! lol.

I wouldn’t put it past them to tell their parents that they weren’t talking about me, or flip it around completely, and have their parents make a stink over it with me. I can def see one of these parents as THAT type. Then I have another headache that I don’t care to have.

I think my approach with the look I gave today definitely sent a message to them- at least to the one girl. If they were in fact talking about me (which I’m 99% sure they were-
    as she was even mimicking how I was fixing my sweater today) she def got the point!!! I guess I’ll see what happens from now. If I witness it again- I’ll call them out on it and say how rude it is, etc.

It’s beyond frustrating especially when you don’t do anything to warrant this nasty behavior. I do my best to try to be as FAIR as posssible and be interesting and fun as their teacher. I don’t mean this in the sense to be their friend- but to just have them enjoy their year and enjoy having me as a teacher. To be minding my business and to see that was just like a slap in my face. But I do have to look at the audience. Again- these girls aren’t the kindest kids. I’m seeing it more and more that they, and others in this grade, just aren’t NICE kids. Sad to say, but true.

I know I need to grow thicker skin perhaps and not take it so personally, but it’s easier said than done. I’m used to Third Graders...it’s my first year in 5th. I want my little guys back! Lol

Last edited: Feb 28, 2019
  7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 28, 2019

This says it all. Trust me, as a SPED teacher of HS students who are often wards of the state, and who are court ordered into our program, I would love some of the "not in my face" without actual explicit insults. Yours are baiting you, so ignore until they cross the "silent" line. If/when they do cross that line, take it to admin and don't hesitate to call home with just the facts, no real emotion, other than being concerned about the child, since this could become a behavior problem. Like anything else, document all of this with time, date, and description of actions without emotion coloring your documentation. The more you write the documentation as if it will be seen by others, the better you will get at it.

Don't take the bait.

a2z and Ima Teacher like this.
  8. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Mar 1, 2019

What is your discipline matrix? We have one too, but it is NEVER accurately utilized.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 1, 2019

I’ll see if I can find an electronic copy of it somewhere.

10. Milsey

Milsey Habitué

Mar 2, 2019

Two incidents: I recently had a girl yell out "it must be her time of month" Another student, who regularly storms out of my class, picks fights with other students (wants to be cop apparently), told the counselor that I harassed her.