Students taking things...

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by kcbutterfly, Sep 8, 2006.

1. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Sep 8, 2006

I am a new Kindergarten teacher, and my students have a problem with taking things. They take things like math manipulatives, etc. and stick them in their bookbag/pocket/chair pouch. One even took a Sharpie from my parapro's desk and put it in her chair pouch. :eek: Anyone else have this problem in Kindergarten? What did you do to stop it?

3. moonbeamsinajar

moonbeamsinajar Habitué

Sep 8, 2006

We have trouble with this in preschool. They often take matchbox cars, those little rubber manipulatives, (sorters), and other stuff that will fit into pockets. Last year I had a child take stuff like glue sticks. When it is apparent that suddenly alot of e.g. cars are gone, I start checking pockets, and reminding the children that if they keep taking stuff home, we will soon not have any toys to play with at school.

The thing I can't understand, is how parents do not notice that the kids suddenly have toys, marked Head Start!

4. kcbutterfly

kcbutterfly Companion

Sep 9, 2006

No one else has this problem in K?

5. MrsMikesell

MrsMikesell Cohort

Sep 9, 2006

I *had* this problem in my room last year, but I made it painfully clear that stealing was not acceptable and that the consequence was swift and severe.

If a student was caught with something in their backpack that belonged to me or the school I followed this procedure:

1) It was taken back.
    2) A letter was sent home.
    3) Recess and afternoon play were taken away.
    4) The principal was sent an email about it.

If it happened again, the parents had to come in for a conferece with myself and the principal.

This was school wide and it helped!

Kelly

6. diro.pams

diro.pams Companion

Sep 9, 2006

I agree with Mrs. Mikesell, make this a big, bad deal. The first time we use manipulatives, I give a talk about school items are not thrown, not put in the mouth, and not taken. After that, I expect they will not take things. I just had this happen on Friday. It really bothers me.

7. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Sep 9, 2006

I answered this post but where is it?