Students separated from their peers

Discussion in 'Behavior Management' started by mom2sands, Mar 6, 2008.

1. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

In most classrooms that I've worked in, there are always students who are isolated from their peers for behavioral reasons. In the 1st grade class I subbed in yesterday, there were three students who were seated this way. I actually separated one boy from his row yesterday and he then was able to complete all of his work without interruption. I've seen this done in all elementary grades. Is it a common, accepted practice? Do you think that it is demeaning to the students? It seems to be a necessity in some situations when all else has failed.

3. curious

curious Companion

Mar 6, 2008

I'm student teaching this semester and am in a classroom where the teacher has separated a troublesome student from the rest of the class. This girl sits alone with her desk facing the wall. I thought this seemed demeaning--until I tried placing her back amongst her peers. She was hitting students around her, taking their belongings, and getting in their faces while they were trying to do work. I tried punishing her, giving her positive reinforcement on the rare occasions she behaved, and giving her incentives to behave better, but nothing worked. So I separated her from her peers again. I still don't like doing this (and will probably give her another chance down the line), but for right now I need to think of the other students' well-being.

4. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Mar 6, 2008

I think its standard practice. Last year, I had a teacher friend (1st grade) and she would start the day with everyone in a U shape, but if the students couldn't handle that and were disruptive, she would separate them from the group. Of course, she had students that she pulled out every day.

One of the teachers I work with tutoring her students has a disruptive student in a small closet next to her desk.

5. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Mar 6, 2008

I'm the same way; I always thought that it was a horrible thing to do, until I realized that a lot of the time it helps everyone. In one classroom I was in I found this especially true, the boy who was separated could focus a lot easier and it didn't seem that demeaning at all to him and he was still well-liked by his peers and whenever there was group work he just went and joined one of the groups.

6. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 6, 2008

I think it is fine but I think parents should be told up front that this is something that occassionally has to be done. Then I think if you do it to their child, you need to tell the parent. Not everytime, of course, but the first time for sure. They need to know that it was necessary and then if it is helping. You don't want a child going home and telling a parent one side of their "total isolation" story!

I've also had kids ask to move their desk away so they could get their work done and concentrate better.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Mar 6, 2008

I have four students who sit by themselves this year--2 are parent requests, one has some severe issues that involve more than the school to resolve, and one just can't function around others. For these students, as well as the rest of the class, it is the best situation. I think that as long as students are learning, it doesn't matter where they sit. The rest of my class doesn't think anything about those who sit alone--it's a nonissue in my room. I also make sure those who are separated know it is to help them concentrate on their work--it is not a punishment.

8. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Mar 6, 2008

Totally agree, agdamity, I have seen that many times.

9. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Mar 6, 2008

This year I have 2 students who are separated from the rest of the class. Their behavior I can handle, but they can't be around the others without distracting them and I can't let that happen. I've had students in the past that were removed from the rest for behavior and some who needed the space for movement.

10. GrandHighWitch

GrandHighWitch Companion

Mar 6, 2008

I used to see it as demeaning too, but I agree, there are certain situations and certain students in which it's the right move to make, for the good of everyone. I actually have had some students ASK to be moved off by themselves so that they won't get in trouble.

11. little317

little317 Groupie

Mar 6, 2008

I have one student by herself, for behavioral reasons. It has helped her focus more on getting the work done, than spying on others. It's helped soooo much!! I did tell her that she had to earn her way back into the group.

12. purplecrazy21

purplecrazy21 Comrade

Mar 6, 2008

I have two who sit by themselves this year. One sits alone because she cannot sit in a group without socializing. She never gets her work done. It's still difficult for her to get work done sitting by herself, but it is an improvement.
    Another sits alone to keep the other students in my class safe. He has some issues that cannot be resolved by school as well. I cannot let him be in a position where he endangers the other students.
    I have never felt that having students sit alone was demeaning. My theory is that students need to sit in the spot that is best for them to learn.
    When I taught third grade, my students requested to move so they could more easily concentrate.
    My kindergarteners request this too, but since they don't have the understanding yet that if they move, they are doing so to concentrate. Their moving usually ends with friends sitting together and me having to send them back to their seats. :)

13. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Mar 7, 2008

I have one student who separates herself during reading time. Several others have a designated spot to go to if they can't leave others alone.

14. Noggin

Noggin Rookie

Mar 7, 2008

I want a closet in my room!!! I know exactly who I'd relocate there! Does it have a door I can close?? :lol: Just kidding!

15. Vegas Art Guy

Vegas Art Guy Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

I have students that I do isolate from others, usually because they won't shut the hell up. If a kid is easily distracted then it's best for both the kid and the class to separate them from everyone else.

16. maroki

maroki Comrade

Mar 8, 2008

This year I don't have any students who sit by themselves, but last year I had an extremely hard class and I think by the end of the year I had 4 or 5 students who sat by themselves. One child was with me only a few short months, and his mother requested on the first day he be seated alone so he could concentrate on his work. Two students faced away from the group so they weren't distracted and so they didn't distract others, while the other two simply sat at their little islands, facing the same way as the rest of the class.

I always told parents when I moved students away from the group and I also explained to the students why they were sitting apart from the group. I repeatedly told them they expectations they needed to follow to earn their way back to the group, but none of them ever made it back to the group.

I do have one girl this year who can be mean to her classmates and I've had to move her around the classroom frequently. I told her next time it happened she would be moved away from the group and she would sit by herself. We haven't had any incidents since then, so we'll see...

17. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Mar 8, 2008

Seating charts in mid and high school are great methods of behavior control!

18. Kate Change

Kate Change Companion

Mar 19, 2008

When I subbed for middle school this was just about the only strategy that worked for me. Was it demeaning, maybe a little, but I also only used it for short periods. (Usually 15 minutes. I would tell the student that if his/her behavior improved after that time, I would let them move back with their friends.) At this point, I would ask if they wanted to stay in their new position, or move back. I told them I was very pleased with how they had calmed down. They always chose to move back, but it seemed to molify them quite a bit. It never even occured to me to feel badly about this strategy.

19. Samothrace

Samothrace Cohort

Mar 19, 2008

I have one student that has her desk seperated. The students are in small little cluster rows and hers is set back form the others. What her teacher will as an incentive and positive reinforcement, which doesn't always last long b/c this student has a really low IQ and is 99% of the time in her own world, will let her move her desk up like one square at a time to rejoin her row for when she is doing good. It is something that has to be done at times, but when the teacher puts the student in an awkward place so they can't see the board can be very difficult when I go room to room with my art on a cart.

20. coffee-queen

coffee-queen Rookie

Mar 24, 2008

I've got three little kindergarteners who are seperated, and as mentioned by someone above, it is also a non-issue in our room. it is not a form of punishment...it just helps those students focus on their work instead of bothering others. i've found them to be a lot more productive sitting alone, and they are in small groups at center time, so it's not like they're alone all day.