Students say the darndest things :)

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Linguist92021, Apr 4, 2012.

1. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 4, 2012

I know I often complain about how tough my students are, but I also have to say that they can be so cute, funny or sweet.

So let's share some positives and funnies :)

(I thought there was a similar thread to this before, but couldn't find it).

So, highlights from today:
    - we read the story "By Any Other Name' which brought up a discussion about racism and cultural tolerance. I was telling the class how I felt about this, and then one guy raises his hand and asks "Miss Marianna, where can I meet a girl like you?" It was so cute, and he sounded so sincere. He wasn't hitting on me, he was trying to say he wants to meet someone that thinks the way I do. It was sweet.

- (same class) I'm trying to teach, some students cut me off. They're on the topic, but somewhat argumentative, and we're now beating a dead horse. One kid (who's usually not my best student) says to the others: you guys shut up, don't make her mad! Miss Marianna, I agree with you, you're right about everything, please go on" That was hilarious, in that classroom, with those students.

3. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 4, 2012

I love teenagers!!
    Today, I was announcing that there would probably only be small one question about the topic we just tested on on the final exam. This kid throws his hands in the air, pumps his fists, and lets out a big "Yesss!!!" It was hilarious.

4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 4, 2012

Probation often calls kids out for various reasons. sometimes, it's because they need to do some work, like clean up in the laundry room, etc. Yes, they'll pull a kid out of the classroom to do some work. (don't get me started)

So apparently some of the kids thought the story we read was boring, because when this one kid was called out, as he was closing the door I heard him tell the officer 'Oh my God, you saved me life'.
    (at least this kid already graduated high school)

5. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Apr 4, 2012

My admin came in to ask me a question the other day during whole group and the kids were starting to talk amongst themselves. The admin said "boys and girls-shhhh", one of my students said "dun dun dun". Even my straight-laced admin had to turn away because she was laughing.:whistle:

6. TeachingHistory

TeachingHistory Companion

Apr 5, 2012

One of the seventh graders at my favorite school to sub at told me he'd pay me his allowance money to be an assistant in his math class that I'm always in.

7. ciounoi

ciounoi Cohort

Apr 5, 2012

I have a few. :)

When I worked in detention, a lot of the kids had been very truant or had disruptive behaviors in school before they went to jail. Background knowledge was limited. At one point, I had to explain that a rock was not alive. Another time, we had to go over the fact that the color white was a combo of all colors and black was the absence of colors. After I told our math teacher about the color issue, he actually devoted an entire period of his math class to have "the color talk". :cool: These were high school students.

When I was a newer sub, I was a library sub for the day. I think I was lacking materials or had a few minutes to kill, so I told a second grade class about how I worked at Burger King when I was a teenager and found a HUGE dead beetle on the floor. Being that the restaurant was not busy at that point, I amused myself by sticking the bug on my tongue and chasing my coworkers around with it. ^^ The kids laughed at the time, but the one boy never forgot. It's been three years, and every time I sub at the school I will innevitably hear a shout of HI BUG LADY!! from the one kid. I even met him at a Chinese buffet one time and he was still talking about the bug. :)

At one point I was subbing for an aide in a special ed classroom. The teacher had been working very hard on Touch Math with some of the kids and took the opportunity of having a visitor for the day to have the kids show me what they had learned. So imagine our surprise when we asked one of the students what was two plus three... and he answered dinosaur! Apparently he had read a book where number shapes were represented as dinosaurs and was a little confused. :)

8. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Apr 5, 2012

We were watching a video of the Passion story today (I teach at a parochial school). After class, one of my girls came up to me and asked, "But how did they get that on tape if it happened so long ago?" I had to reassure her that those where just actors. I guess it was a realistic version!

9. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Apr 5, 2012

Usually my stories are more funny when you're actually there. :p

Anyways, that said, today I was tutoring my 6th grader in math. He actually had a fun assignment since it's right before spring break. He had a family life assingment where he was given a monthly income, rent, ... that sorta stuff.

In the end, he realized that he didn't have enough money to pay all of the bills. So, he went through trying to figure out what he had to give up. He ended up not eating out (figured he was already spending $200 on groceries) and he got rid of his cell phone and house phone (he said, what's the point in having a phone anyways)

In the end, he said, "Man, being an adult is so stressful. Having to worry about money! I don't want to be an adult now" Hee hee. You had to be there. :p