Student's rude comments about a teacher

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by Ykk27, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Feb 4, 2014

Hello!
    I am a sub, and I need your help, please!
    I had a student who threw a sarcastic and offensive comment about his regular teacher's physical appearance.
    This has been done in the front of the class. He just shouted out,"She has a......!". I said,"This is not appropriate, you can not say such things." He had agreed, but in a while he repeated the comment looking straight at me.
    So, I had reported this to the office after the class had been over. The office later said they called the student for a talk. But the sudent said he did not make such comment, and that I must have been mistaken him for someone else because everybody had been talking (yes, we had a discussion, but it was not too loud).
    This student is already known in the office, and I had also experienced him "flipping" a situation or a word, so he comes out innocent and the opponent comes out guilty.

I do not want to drop this school, the school is wonderful in general. And, I do not want them to drop me. What is the best way to act with such 8-grader next time he tries to instigate me?

Thank you very much.

3. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 4, 2014

Is there any process to report him immediately/ have him removed from class? That would eliminate him trying to turn it on you later in the day.

4. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2014

If I had been in your position, I probably would not have kicked that one up to the office. I don't think that you did the wrong thing, and it's not that the behavior was acceptable. It's just that as a sub your power is pretty limited. When you give away what little power you do have, it is hard to get that back.

I probably would have told the student that the comment was not appropriate. If the student repeated the comment, I would have pulled the student aside and had a very brief, private chat about why that comment was not acceptable and why I wouldn't allow it. If the student appeared apologetic, I would let it go after that.

5. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Feb 4, 2014

Yes, I can call the office and someone will come. I see, this would be a best decision. Thank you!
    I regret I did not act properly. Now, I am worried about my own standing at this school.

6. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Feb 4, 2014

But then, if the information spreads to the office (we have some teachers' kids in those classes), would I get in trouble for not reporting this?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 4, 2014

Kids can be rude. They say rude things all the time. I hardly think that you'd be held responsible for a kid acting like a jerkface. Granted, I don't know the climate of the school where you're at, but still. I think you might be overthinking this one. That's just my take. Others might view the situation differently.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Feb 4, 2014

Yes, I also think you're overthinking this. I really don't think you're in jeopardy. Kids, especially middle school / high school age kids will be rude at times and will say things just to get to you. Especially subs have it harder, because a lot of kids have no respect for them, and the subs don't have the relationships or even the power over the kids as the regular teacher does.

You don't need to report every comment to the office.

9. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Feb 4, 2014

When I subbed middle school, I would create a seating chart or have a class roster on a clipboard that I carried all the time. I would show the students that I was marking down little stars for good behavior and participation, and dots for bad behavior. The students loved seeing how many stars they were gathering and I'd show them that a dot could easily be turned into a star (no grudges). If a student made a rude comment, all I had to do was quietly and intently make a show of putting a dot down by his/her name. No arguing or power plays. And you can turn often turn behavior around by then noticing the next tiny little positive thing the rude student does and showing them you turned the dot into a star. Also, I would take time in the morning before class to introduce myself to neighboring teachers who would usually tell me that I could send problem students to them.

10. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Feb 4, 2014

I have to disagree. I would want to know what my students did because I would absolutely hold them accountable. They're old enough to know better. And bold-faced lying on the sub? I'd want behavior like that reported.

11. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Feb 4, 2014

In fact, the same student lyed to the teacher across the hallway that I have allowed him to have his headphones on. Earlier, he walked out of my class without a permission, for few minutes.
    The other day he was pushing my buttons in different class, just being disruptive. Then, he caight my word and flipped it so that I had said something bad about him..... This student is well-known.

The biggest thing that concerns me that I am a sub who reports all the issues, and that I am a trouble maker.

12. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Feb 4, 2014

How do you manage to create the sitting chart? I rarely had students sitting at their assigned desk. To create a chart, I have to walk around and ask everyone's name...
    How do you manage it?

13. greendream

greendream Cohort

Feb 5, 2014

I'm having trouble understanding the OP. Did this kid call a teacher a b*tch out loud during class? In my school, that gets you kicked out of class and possibly suspended. Maybe I'm misunderstanding though.

14. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Feb 6, 2014

He probably sees you as someone who is covering the class, not the teacher. If you make it very apparent who is in charge, the students will start to respect you. Based on your post I assume you are a long term sub, I know how that feels, but as long as you are the teacher and not just someone covering a class, than the students may respect you. I would privatly tell him that a) he does not need to use that language in a learning environment b) they should not disrespect any adult no matter who they are. If he continues to be rude, than write him up for willful disobedience, as long as you have a good track record and you provide adequate information, than the office will tend to believe your side of the story. Also, if you can, call an AP and ask them to listen for the class period through the phone and don't tell the kids.

15. Ykk27

Ykk27 Rookie

Feb 8, 2014

He mentioned the country she is from, and that her b.u.t.t. is big and round just like it supposed to be for women from that country. It is an old joke in Texas, adult say that, and he learned it from adults.

16. AF Mom

AF Mom Rookie

Mar 4, 2014

I do not tolerate any bad behavior when I have a sub. My sub's leave me notes on each class and any names reported for behavior problems will receive a detention and a call to parents. I provide seating charts for all of my classes plus the class rules and my schedule including any duties.

17. Auter12

Auter12 Comrade

Jun 10, 2014

Deal with it in class

In my district, some subs' referrals are disregarded. I do everything I can NOT to send kids out, and the office knows that if a kid is coming down when I sub, the referral is well deserved.

In this case, I would have pulled the kid aside, talked with him about the inappropriate comment, and let him know that the teacher would be informed of his comment, and she could deal with it how she sees fit. I would also state that if there were any more rude comments, a referral and student would be sent to the office. Then, I would leave a note for the teacher, stating EXACTLY what happened.

When I do write a referral, they get kind of wordy bc I write exactly why it's written. (I try to avoid writing them for that reason).

18. Ms. Pond

Ms. Pond New Member

Aug 3, 2014

There's this school I absolutely love to sub for, but they tell me who I'm subbing for and if I already know how that class acts because I've previously subbed it I just say no thank you and they totally understand.
    Also, I make a note of everything that goes on in class, especially with issues like that. What that student said and how I reacted. That way there's a record/proof.

19. sarahwilla

sarahwilla Rookie

Sep 17, 2014

i never experienced this but.. i f i experience the same i just ignore his words , I will try to take a sessions on good behavior in the class.

20. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Sep 17, 2014

I think that you did just the right thing. I would have sent that young man out to the office the second time he did it, for two reasons; one, because he was being deliberately rude, and two, for insubordination (you had already told him that it was an inappropriate remark and he did it again.)
    I would also question continuing to work for a school that didn't believe me. Your word as the adult in charge should count for more than a student's word, especially one that already seems to have a less than sterling reputation. If you have worked there before and have shown that you are responsible, then the administration should back you. Subbing is hard enough without support from the office, and a good sub is worth his/her weight in gold. Seems to me that they should be doing everything they can to make your experience at their school a good one!

21. LisaLisa

LisaLisa Companion

Sep 18, 2014

Sometimes I would say, "How would you feel if someone said that about your mother, grandmother, etc."
    If you know enough about the kid that might work.

Unfortunately you run the risk of a single parent household (Dad only), or a child who dislikes women in general.

I used that strategy when I taught the older kids. It worked, when I was a sub it was something to try.

Telling a student something is inappropriate isn't enough. If you explain why in a way that is not condescending then they are more likely to listen - particularly at that age.

Also, the comment borders on sexual harassment. Serious charge.