Students rather read aloud than to read independently.

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by TheNumberOne, Nov 19, 2009.

1. TheNumberOne

TheNumberOne Rookie

Nov 19, 2009

Hello!
    8th grade ELA teacher here. ;)

My *honor* students rather read aloud than to read independently.

I need to tips as to how I can persuade them that reading independently gives them a better perspective of the book/passage/etc.

3. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 24, 2009

I'd tell em I hate it when someone talks during a movie, as you focus on the sounds they're making and can't hear what is going on. Liken that to a 'movie' playing in their heads as they read.

The story of the three blind men and the elephant applies, where one blind man feels the trunk and describes an elephant as a wrinkled tube, another blind man feels the tail and describes an elephant as a bristly brush; each has his own perspective depending on their experiences.

But truthfully, sounds like they're being lazy and trying to get out of reading it themselves. See if you can find an especially juicy passage with lots of interpretations then make them read that silently, write down their interpretations, then share what they've written.

4. CanadianTeacher

CanadianTeacher Groupie

Nov 27, 2009

I've had that experience too. Middle schoolers seem to really enjoy read alouds. I don't know if I would agree that reading independently gives them a better perception of the book, though. It really depends on the student. I would tell them though, that while some do better with read alouds, others do better with independent reading, so they need to be able to do both so that everyone gets what they prefer/need most some of the time. I'd also tell them that if they don't do well reading independently, it's something they need practice with, so they need to do it. I usually do our first novel as a read aloud and after every chapter I assign reading responses based on what they heard. They next one they do is more independent. Some students really don't know how to use reading strategies to bring a story alive for themselves, so maybe work on that. Have them actively visualize, have them get lost in the characters, have them connect with the events. Do this during read aloud, then teach them how to choose a book that interests them so they can do those things as they are reading independently.

5. PaperbackWriter

PaperbackWriter Rookie

Dec 2, 2009

Good post Canadian Teacher