Students Passing Back Papers

Discussion in 'Middle School / Junior High' started by BumbleB, Aug 22, 2014.

1. BumbleB

BumbleB Habitué

Aug 22, 2014

Do you allow a student volunteer to pass back graded papers to the rest of the class? I've always been wary because that one student can see everyone's grades for the assignment. Just wondering if my concerns are legitimate or not....

3. mollydoll

mollydoll Connoisseur

Aug 22, 2014

Anything sensitive I pass back myself, but routine stuff I just check for understanding is passed back by students.

4. glen

glen Companion

Aug 22, 2014

I always fold papers to cover grades, regardless of how the papers are passed back.

5. Go Blue!

Go Blue! Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

No because I do not like MS kids being out of their seats for any reason (unless they are leaving/entering the classroom).

6. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Aug 23, 2014

I never let my students pass back tests because their grades should be confidential, and I want to respect that. When I pass back papers, I usually stand or sit in the front of the room and call names out while students come up to get their papers. This takes less time than me walking to each student's desk.

7. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2014

I always print my tests with a cover sheet, and the grade is small on the second sheet. I would rather waste the paper than subject any student to being humiliated by a test score. I also require a cover sheet on lab reports, etc., for the same reason. This policy does allow me to have students return papers under a watchful eye.

8. daisycakes

daisycakes Companion

Aug 25, 2014

No, I do not like to ever do this because they should never be out of their seat and also because they might be embarrassed. Sometimes, I would have a ta or someone who basically got sent out of class and had to sit in my room without being a member of the class. In this case, I would allow that person to pass back inconsequential items like homework graded with a check, especially if they were not in the same grade level and wouldn't really know or care anyone's grades.

9. a.guillermo

a.guillermo Rookie

Aug 27, 2014

I've done it from time to time, usually when I have tons of stuff to hand back. Most of the kids who get bad grades think that it is funny, and they boast their 38% as an accomplishment. If I have a class where I think it is inappropriate, I would hand them back personally.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Aug 27, 2014

We've been told specifically not to let students have access to grades in any way, including passing back papers.