students packing up before period ends

Discussion in 'Secondary Education' started by sonflawah, Dec 1, 2011.

1. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Dec 1, 2011

I hate it when students pack up their things before the period ends, especially during instructional time. They start packing up about 5 minutes before they need to leave, and it makes a lot of noise. I've told them to wait until I dismiss class and I always give them enough time to pack up and pick up a few pieces of trash on their way out. This hasn't seemed to work though, and everyday every period of students packing up early making a lot of noise is getting on my nerves!

I set my clock back 5 minutes today, but the students realized that the time wasn't correct because apparently they check the clock when entering as well and realized what I did.

My school doesn't have bells so I'd be afraid to take the clock down from the wall as I might lose track of time. I'm not in the habit of wearing a watch, but this might be my only option at this point. Any suggestions?

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Dec 1, 2011

"If you take time away from my class time, you'll have to make it up with more homework."

4. sonflawah

sonflawah Companion

Dec 1, 2011

How would I do this when only half the class is packing up and half the class follows the rules?

5. donziejo

donziejo Devotee

Dec 1, 2011

I say, "Don’t pack-up on me"...I'll wait, and then I set the timer and say, “This is the time you owe me after class." One time of making students stay after the bell rings and most of them will only occasionally need a "don't pack on me" statement. I do not have a clock in my room...We don't have bells either, so I set a time to go off when it's time to rotate. Packing up early drives me crazy:)

6. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Dec 1, 2011

I don't allow my students to have anything on their desks unless they are actively working with it. If they reach for something, they have to put it back down.

7. kme93

kme93 Companion

Dec 1, 2011

I don't allow them to keep their backpacks at their desks. I have a list of everything they need for the day (i.e. math binder, pencil, correcting pen, geometer) on the board when they come in, and they leave their backpack along the back wall. One minute before the bell rings I allow them to start packing up.

8. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Dec 1, 2011

On the one hand, this makes me absolutely crazy but on the other hand I know I always did it in high school too. I usually end class a minute or two early and they can choose to work on homework or talk quietly so usually it's not a big deal except on the occasional day that I need to work bell to bell.

9. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 2, 2011

I've done two things with limited success.

The first one I do more often and it works for the students involved for several days. But they always revert back to their old ways @@ When someone starts making a motion to pack up I remind the whole class "Stay with me, I haven't told anyone to pack up yet." If someone does anyhow, then I simply say "Johnny, stay after class today." Then everyone that packed up early gets to spend that much time after class. If he packs up two minutes early, he owes me two minutes after class.

When I had a HUGE problem with this at a school like yours that did not have bells, I tried something else that worked for a long time. I reminded students that *I dismissed them from class and that *I gave them the cue when to pack up. I did this about fifteen minutes beforehand. "Remember guys, we have a lot to cover today. We'll work right until it's time to go." Then, when many of them had already packed up but we had about three minutes left, I projected an open-note quiz. Students that had been working to that point had all the answers on their desk. Others had to get their notes out and most of those students didn't even take notes on the last few items since they were already packing up.

10. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Dec 2, 2011

If you don't have bells, why don't you set a timer for one minute before the end of the period and tell students that's their signal to pack up?

11. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 3, 2011

I would also have the times set for a couple of minutes before the end of the class. If you already use a timer, buy another one just for this purpose. I did this in one school when I subbed, because their bell schedule was so weird, their clock was off, and I kept getting confused.

12. Good Doobie

Good Doobie Rookie

Dec 4, 2011

Yeah, but what about the class just before lunch?

I agree Aliceacc. And it used to be I would never allow students to leave early. Year after year I kept them. But this year I have moved to another area which is about as far from the cafeteria as you can get - much further than most other classrooms. So my response is only in reference to the class before just before lunch. The teacher in the room next door explained it to me. I guess it is not fair for the students to always be last in the lunch line. What I have been able to work out a few time is "when you get the answer to this problem you may go. If you don't you will have to stay."

13. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Dec 4, 2011

We don't release students before the bell. That's just a whole buncha problems waiting to happen.

It used to make me so mad when other teachers would do this. The noise from them walking past my doorway was extremely distracting . A lot of the times those students walking by would open my door as they were passing by, some would stand in the window and purposefully distract my students and we had some issues with vandalizism.

14. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 4, 2011

when I was student teaching I had such a hard time with 2 of my classes. It was a block schedule (77 minutes), so there were only 2 periods before lunch.
    I can be very organized, so throughout my class, I made notes on each student's behavior. The ones that went above and beyond with work and behavior were let go a couple of minutes before lunch. These students were so happy to leave and so proud of doing great, that they walked as quietly as a mouse. Then students who were ok left on time, and students who gave me trouble were kept up to 10 minutes.

I was very lucky, because the teacher who had my 1st period for his 2nd (before lunch) did released or kept the students, based on how they did for me. All I had to do is send a list of names with a student to him 10 minutes before class was over.

It was a lot of work, but i got used to it and it worked well. The students who did great never caused any trouble in the hallways, and no one ever got punished unjustified.

15. AnonyMS

AnonyMS SpEd Para! BASE room aide! RTI Facilitator!

Dec 4, 2011

We really can't keep students after-class unless we are sure they won't be late to the next class. So, I don't keep 'em late.

I hid the clock on the computer when I realized that's what they were all looking at instead of the lesson projected on the board!

I also don't have a clock in the room. I use my watch.

Some teachers have them keep their backpacks in the back of the room so they can't get into them during class time.

16. midwestteacher

midwestteacher Cohort

Dec 5, 2011

We have some teachers that give points for classroom participation - like 50 points a week (10 points a day). They will lose points if they pack up before they are allowed to. This might help.

17. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Dec 5, 2011

It seems like the easy answer would be for them to keep their backpacks in one spot, not accessible to them during the class.

18. mshutchinson

mshutchinson Comrade

Dec 16, 2011

I like that idea NCScience.
    What's worked best for me is to stop what I'm doing and address the students who don't have their stuff out, and say, however long I wait is how long you'll wait.

I also find that giving them my 'terribly appalled' expression works pretty well.

19. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

Dec 16, 2011

We don't allow backpacks, and/or purses in classrooms at all. This was a corporation wide policy after Columbine.

20. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Dec 19, 2011

5 minutes before the end of class is when I gave out the bonus points, all of which were in the book and had to be answered on a clean sheet of paper. Those who were packed up got no points. My clock was behind the students and right in front of me. I have to have a clock - I'm too disoriented without one.

I've also been known to have the early-packers line up against the wall while the polite students left first.

21. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Dec 19, 2011

I don't have anything to add to the topic but I wanted to say, Nice to see you Mamacita! I haven't seen you on for awhile! It seems I've missed you in the past when you checked in.

22. Jeky

Jeky Comrade

Dec 22, 2011

I don't necessarily think homework should be given as a punishment, so I usually stick with: "If you continue to pack up, then when the bell rings everyone will unpack and then repack their backpacks so that we can practice how to do it correctly and on time". It works pretty well.
    But, I wish I had the space in my room to have my students put their backpacks along the back wall.....love that idea! :)

23. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Jan 1, 2012

Jeky, some schools don't allow students to place backpacks against the wall. They say that it is an increased risk for theft.

I think that's crazy, personally.

24. Oregon Sub Girl

Oregon Sub Girl Rookie

Jan 3, 2012

As a substitute teacher, it also drives me crazy when they pack up early. Some great suggestions have been given so far. It's hard as a sub because you can't set up long term consequences and/or rewards. I try to keep them as busy possible until the bell the rings. If you nip it in the bud when the first kid starts to pack up, that usually will stop them. If I specifically ask a student to stop packing up and they still do, then I will take further action depending on the school.

Good luck with working it out. Sometimes teaching really is just trial and error.