Students Out All the Time for Sports

Discussion in 'High School' started by oliviaik, Apr 24, 2012.

1. oliviaik

oliviaik Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

Throughout the year, students have been dismissed from school early for sports. I thought it was strange when I started teaching, as my high school I grew up in never dismissed kids early for sports. Here, they say that they have to do so because the school is so far away from other schools.

Up until now, it has not been a big problem. Students only missed occasionally and it was just a few kids. Now, however, track has started. About half of my sixth and seventh hour kids miss class once or twice a week. It is really frustrating.

What should I do about this? We are trying to study plants right now as well as review for the state assessment. We still have quite a bit to do on plants and we need to fit in animals (invertebrates in general and vertebrates in general) before the end of the school year. Should I do notes as usual on those days or should I do alternate activities? My students are NOT good at making things up. I have considered doing state assessment reviews on those days, but then half the class misses the reviews! I just don't know how to get everything covered in the time we have left with so many students missing all the time.

Thanks for your help!

3. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2012

I face the same issue at my school. Like you, this was a new experience for me because my high school never had early dismissal for athletes.

I don't think that you should do anything differently for your athletes who miss class. By choosing to participate in a sport, they are expected to make an effort to make up the work on their own time outside of class. If they aren't making it up, then you should contact parents and coaches and let them know what's up. Most good coaches will get on their athletes and tell them to buck up or else they'll be kicked off the team.

4. KateL

KateL Habitué

Apr 24, 2012

Yes, talk to the coach. If you can, give the students their work the day before the track meet with the expectation that they will complete it on the bus. I'm sure it's in your student handbook somewhere that students who miss school for sports still have to complete their work.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2012

My daughter is one of those athletes and, on occasion, has to miss class (more often than I like during snowboard racing season). It has always been the expectation that she can participate in sports as long as her classwork and grades don't suffer. She is open with her teachers and arranges to write tests early if need be. She is responsible for all of the work she misses when she is absent--any less and she wouldn't be involved in sports.

6. oliviaik

oliviaik Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

What about notes, though? Right now we are working our way through a note packet and a homework packet on plants. The notes, though, are not really sufficient on their own. We do PowerPoints and discussions in class with a BUNCH of pictures/games/videos/additional notes/etc. How can I effectively get them to make those things up? Or, should I just make state assessment review worksheets for them to do in place of in-class state assessment reviews?

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2012

Can you post those other materials online so that the students can access them on their own time outside of class?

8. oliviaik

oliviaik Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

I have considered posting them online, but many of my students do not have computers at home. It is still an option, but I will get complaints from several students and possibly parents.

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2012

If the student is missing class and is wanting supplemental materials, then the student needs to put forth some effort. If that means going to the school library at lunch or before school or going to the public library on the weekends for computer access, then I guess that's what that means.

The teacher's instruction can't be replicated exactly for absent students. If it were as easy as that, then there would be no need for teachers at all--everyone could just read a bunch of handouts. The simple fact is that when a student is absent, even for a legitimate and excused reason, the student is going to miss valuable instruction. Students (and parents and coaches) who care about receiving that instruction will find a way to get what they need.

10. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2012

This is what the teachers at Lauren's school do. She also arranges to meet with the teachers after school or on her lunch if she requires clarification or extra help and talks with her classmates about the work that she did. I think that the teachers have been as accommodating as they are because she puts forth the effort to fill in the gaps.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Apr 24, 2012

I think you're right. Speaking from my own experience, I will always do everything in my power to help a student who shows me that he or she is trying and wants to learn the material.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2012

I actually love having athletes in class. Whenever they want to act out I immediately call coach who will give them "incentive" to do well in class;)

When it comes down to it, it's the kid's responsibility to make up work, notes and whatever else they missed. You could pull all athletes aside and tell them they need to put in the effort and it is on them. Call parents and let them know what you are doing to help them and what you expect the students to do in return. That way no one can say later "I didn't know"

13. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2012

I think all of suggested great ideas. I was in sports and band... and was out of class once in awhile...not too often. But I think you have to continue with your classwork and the athlete needs to work it out with you to make up work or get ahead.

As for doing homework on the bus like someone suggested.... UGH I would have been so sick. I was never able to read or write on the bus (still can't in a car). So that wouldn't have been an option for me. It was either late nights or work on it between events. Plus they can use bus time to talk about class... I know I did this with people in my class or the older athletes.

14. oliviaik

oliviaik Rookie

Apr 24, 2012

Thank you for the suggestions! I will try to get the presentations online. It is just frustrating because on some days I will have only two to four kids in class out of the fourteen total. I guess that is just the way it is, though.

15. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2012

The coaches should be very supportive of you as well... I know our coach was always in the mind frame that school was most important!!!

He may help you out with making sure you kids see powerpoint or something. I don't know how long you have to stay after school, but if they have practice, maybe he can allow them like a half hour to miss practice to make up some stuff in your class!!! I mean really it's track... I know you need to stay in shape, but really I think once you know how to run you can run!!! LOL!!!

16. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Apr 24, 2012

Wanted to say hello to another Kansas teacher! I'm in a rural school, too.

The spring is TERRIBLE about students missing class. You will be better prepared about this issue next year.

But, until then, set aside materials for students to pick up, post as much online as you can ... you may even need to ask students to come in before school or on your lunch, it's not ideal, but we do what we gotta do! :)

17. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Apr 24, 2012

Wow...I can't imagine class with only 4 kids. This is a difficult situation. I would just try my best to teach normally. If possible, make copies of the notes for students who don't have internet access.

18. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 24, 2012

Like KU said you may have to give up some of your lunches...I don't know if the coach is a teacher...but maybe you can work something out between the 2 of you for prep periods of working the the athletes!!!

I just have to throw this in... I had a teacher who told us when we were athletes if we ever needed help to ask. I took her up on it a few times... And even after I graduated and needed help she would help me... It was so nice to have a teacher that wanted you to succeed!!!

19. CindyBlue

CindyBlue Cohort

Apr 25, 2012

Um, I think you need to go to a track and field meet to see what really goes on...there's a lot more to it than running, and the track and field kids work very hard at their events, as hard as kids in any other sport...

20. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Apr 25, 2012

Cindy...I'm not sure how to put this with out sounding mean... I was a 3 season athlete and ran track, so yes I do know what happens at track meets!!! I am familiar with what happens at most sporting events... I was very active in my high school career as an athlete.

Yes I know there are many things that go on, but there is usually some time in between... I can tell you I was a spinter, relay & long jumper... so I know that my events were not back to back and that you are only allowed so many events to participate in...so you can not be a part of everything!!!

I would never say one sport you work harder than another... they all have different skill sets. Plus... just because you practice doesn't mean that we won't have an off day....

I didn't even say to miss a whole practice... I said they could miss like a half hour or so of practice. Plus, most of the events are points for the team, but you do on your own except for relays. I can tell you when I did Jr. High track I practiced in my own yard shot putting, running... Other than a few events where you need the equipment you can practice it at home. Otherwise the track coach could stay after for a half hour while the students get the help they need, why should the teacher have to give up her time and the coach does not?!?! Isn't school more important than the sports (I know it doesn't always work that way...familiar with that as well.)

This is why I said to the teacher...may be she should talk to with the coach to work something out!!!

Sorry Olivia...I just needed to get my side out there... Being online we make assumptions about people.

21. okhistory

okhistory Rookie

Apr 27, 2012

I teach at a small school in Oklahoma and this type of arrangement is very common in small Oklahoma schools. Not only do we have a lot of athletes gone; but don't get me started on the ag students! It is very frustrating; but there is not anything you can do about it....so YOU have to adjust. My suggestion is that next year plan your year knowing that after spring break (ours is the last week of March) there are going to be a lot of kids gone and teaching is going to be a challenge. I am an English teacher and I assign a lot of independent assignments during the spring. I don't know if that is feasible in a science class; but the independent assignments help my frustration level a lot.

22. TeachOn

TeachOn Habitué

Apr 27, 2012

Yep: it's a problem here. Most students are good about following up on these absences; some are not. It is, though, always their responsibility, and I won't chase them. Contacting coaches can help, colleagues tell me, though I have only done it once that I remember.

We also have a lot of field trips, including "in-school" field trips :huh: . Parents take their kids out of school for family trips. And so on. It's a pain, but I do try to own as little of the pain as I can manage to.

23. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Apr 27, 2012

As a parent I know that my son misses quite a bit of school because of school related functions! Not to mention getting him to the ortho!

Between ROTC, select choir and sports he's on the go. For some of the things that he does his teachers must sign off on.

I know that the top pole vaulter did not participate in the last 2 meets and is not able to participate in tomorrow's meet due to grades. I'm not sure if that comes from his Dad or the school though.