Students on vacation during school year

Discussion in 'Fifth Grade' started by amybear, May 21, 2013.

1. amybear

amybear Rookie

May 21, 2013

I have a student that went on vacation and returned on a Thursday. He missed three tests. I told him to make up one on Friday and the remaining two on Monday. As expected, he didn't do well because he missed the lessons. His mother thinks he should be able to retest. Am I unreasonable in saying no? Did the mom think I wouldn't teach while he was gone?

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

May 21, 2013

If you wouldn't allow a student who was absent for illness to retest, I think you are being completely reasonable. An absence affects learning, regardless of the reason.

4. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

May 21, 2013

I agree with you. I teach 5th grade and I have a similar policy. I do get parents that always want a re-test. I tell them "no" like you do.

I sometimes show some flexibillity with a funeral or a major illness. Vacations on school days get little sympathy from me.

5. amybear

amybear Rookie

May 22, 2013

Thanks for your input. Illness or a funeral is one thing, going on vacation is another. Also, if I give a retest to one kid, I need to do it for all.

6. janis

janis Companion

Jul 20, 2013

This is a tough one, sorta. Kids missing school for vacations is very unfortunate, but we must remember it is not their fault, they probably had no say in the matter, and they should not be punished; however, not allowing him to retest is not a punishment. He had, I'm assuming, just as much time to prepare as the rest of the kids. Depending on the age and the situation, here's what I would do:

Let me retake the test, but average the two tests together. I do this often and it seems to be a good compromise.

Last edited: Jul 20, 2013
  7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2013

The kid presumably didn't have a choice in going on vacation with his family. While he was on vacation, he was probably busy spending time with family, going on outings, and doing all the things that people do on vacation. I think that it's unreasonable to expect that he would have learned the material on his own as well and as quickly as his classmates who were in class.

I think that you need to let him retest. Make him do some review or something ahead of time to ensure that he gets the material before he retests, but still allow the retest.

8. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 20, 2013

Sorry, I just realized that this thread is a couple of months old. My advice probably won't matter since the incident is over and done with by now. It's still what I would recommend if this were to happen again in the future.

9. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 20, 2013

I will say my dad did this with us. My gparents lived down south we left the week before spring break...I will tell you we did do school work when we go back. Can you imagine toting books and what not (I was in 6th & sis in 5th) across the country...we drove. I'm glad we went and our teachers were ok with it. For one we hadn't seen my gparents in a while and it was great bonding for the family. I will NEVER regret the trip.

I think doing a test right when he gets back is a little rough and 2 on that Monday... but it's done. I would've made him take it that week when he got back, so he could've had the weekend to review. I mean you can go from vacation mode to teacher mode right away (who knows if there was a time difference)...I know it's tough and you need to keep moving, but as said by others he didn't have a choice...

10. janis

janis Companion

Aug 23, 2013

What grade is this? If the student did not have notice or time to prepare for the test, you may want to give them a Test B. But if they did know and they "chose" to go ahead with the test, I'd say no.

11. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

I realize this is old, but what good will a re-test do if the material was never taught/presented/learned?

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

I was going on the assumption that the material would have been taught/practiced before the retest.

13. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 23, 2013

(In this case) the student returned from vacation on a Thursday and was to test Friday and twice on Monday. I didn't think much content if any at all was being covered, then. Assuming it was, of course, I don't question the value of the retests.

14. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

Totally :thumb:

15. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Aug 23, 2013

I agree with you that the tests should never have been given on Friday and Monday. When I hear "retest", I think of "a second chance to take a test", so my assumption was that the retest would be done several days after the Monday failed test, once the student had some time to learn and practice the material.