Students not just behaving for their own benefit, but being a team!

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by Ms.Jasztal, Sep 10, 2007.

1. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 10, 2007

Some students haven't cared about the feelings of others as much and have been snide at lunch or specials to the adults (okay, maybe just 1 or 2)... but the kids are talkative at times and don't realize the consequences. They think they're invincible in respects. I honestly want to come down on this very hard. I want to tell them something they will not forget pertaining to this. What would you do... and also, what would you do for the kids not doing anything at all (at least 50 percent of my class)? I feel this is way too early to see even a few people in my class acting this way. I am very intrinsic when it comes to rewards, too, by the way...

3. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Sep 10, 2007

What about having all the kids write something nice about each student in the class and then share? I've done this a few times and it's seemed to work.

4. little317

little317 Groupie

Sep 10, 2007

It sounds like you might need to set specific goals for your class. I know you have the marble jar. You might need to modify the concept that each week your class needs to meet a goal of a certain number of marbles. The whole class needs to work together to earn those marbles. If one student is disrespectful, take a marble away. When you take the marble away, remind the kids that one student's behavior effects everyone, and 100% of the class has to show respect to earn/keep marbles. If the class meets the goal give a class reward. If not, take a privilegde away. After couple weeks peer pressure will kick in and those disrespectful students might have that "aha" lightbulb moment.

I don't know why, but for some reason I am thinking of the "Circle of Trust." Hah ha

5. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 10, 2007

I used the words "Circle of Trust" today. I like saying how the class needs to earn a certain amount...

6. ~Nicole

~Nicole Comrade

Sep 10, 2007

I finally had to do a tangible reward system in my class (too many students not getting the "because I get the good feeling" reward). I used those 20 box charts (pre packaged-with rows and colums for a week). I taped one to each of the desks and then we had a conversation that went like this-

"Remember when we did the toothpaste activity and came up with behaviors that we wanted to see in the classroom? (refer to empty toothpaste and chart). I know that for some of you looking at the toothpaste reminded you of what we need to do and say to be successful in our community. I wanted to give you another tool to help remind you to be successful.

We are going to start earning squares. You can earn squares all on you own by demonstrating to others how we are successful in our classroom. Your row and your column can also earn squares. Does anyone know of a way their row or column could earn a square?

When you get (5 in a row for me) your name will go on a lunch ticket (our base reward is lunch with one friend and me-I provide a special treat)-remember the more tickets you have at the end of a month the better chance you have of getting your name drawn.

When everyone has 5 in a row we'll have a special reward. No-I don't know what it is yet. We'll have to see how much money I have in the checkbook then (I'm thinking of doing a snack day-they are always asking if we can have a snack)

When everyone has filled their form we'll have a special reward to celebrate really being a community.

7. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 10, 2007

I am going to do the "building a recess" activity where the class' respect earns a certain amount of recess. I will tell them especially when I am monitoring. Eventually for individual rewards, I might go back to Scholar Dollars... when they are ready, yet this takes a great deal of effort. I normally don't start right away with that, anyway.

8. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Sep 10, 2007

Each of my students has a plain white index card taped to the (their) right, front corner of their desktop. Throughout the day, they can be caught being good, showing good citizenship/scholarship, getting an answer right (they never know when) and we will put a sticker on their card. Sometimes, the "sticker monster/fairy" will visit while the kids are at enrichment/recess. At the end of the 9 weeks, the student(s) with the most stickers will win a prize. They are VERY covetous of those stickers, especially when I am asked "how come X has SO many stickers?" and I respond "because s/he was being good/kind / working hard, etc."

9. sue35

sue35 Habitué

Sep 11, 2007

I do a lot of cooperative learning activities and games to get them working more as a team and to help everyone feel comfortable. Also I am going to put them into groups of 4 and that will be their "team" for the next two months. We will do activites to help them grow together. I found that they are really much less mean to each other and quieter after they have been together like this for awhile.

10. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Sep 11, 2007

True. I get groups together in Reading class for the year and throughout the classroom for at least a few months. It really does improve a lot of things. :)